The Avengers (2012 film)
Marvel's The Avengers (titled Marvel Avengers Assemble in the UK and Ireland) is a 2012 American superhero film about a team of superheroes who come together to form the Avengers to help stop Thor's brother Loki from enslaving the human race. It is based on the Marvel Comics superhero team of the same name.
Tony Stark/Iron Man
- It's good to meet you, Dr. Banner. Your work on anti-electron collisions is unparalleled. And I'm a huge fan of the way you lose control and turn into an enormous green rage monster.
- Pepper Potts: Is this about the Avengers? Which I know nothing about.
- Tony Stark: The Avengers initiative was scrapped, I thought. And I didn't even qualify.
- Potts: I didn't know that either.
- Stark: Apparently I'm volatile, self-obsessed, and don't play well with others.
- Potts: That I did know.
- Nick Fury: We have no quarrel with your people.
- Loki: An ant has no quarrel with a boot.
- Nick Fury: You planning to step on us?
- Loki: Freedom is life's great lie. Once you accept that, in your heart, you will know peace.
- Nick Fury: Yeah, you say peace. I kinda think you mean the other thing.
- Loki: [To crowd] Kneel before me. I said... kneel! Is not this simpler? Is this not your natural state? It's the unspoken truth of humanity that you crave subjugation. The bright lure of freedom diminishes your life's joy in a mad scramble for power. For identity. You were made to be ruled. In the end, you will always kneel.
- Old German: [Stands] Not to men like you.
- Loki: There are no men like me.
- Old German: There are always men like you.
- Loki: How desperate are you? That you call on such lost creatures to defend you?
- Nick Fury: How desperate am I? You threaten my world with war, you steal a force you can't hope to control, you talk about peace, and you kill 'cause it's fun. You have made me very desperate. You might not be glad that you did.
- Loki: Ooh. It burns you to have come so close. To have the Tesseract, to have power. Unlimited power. And for what? A warm light for all mankind to share? And then to be reminded what real power is.
- Nick Fury: Well, let me know if "real power" wants a magazine or something.
- Steve Rogers: We have orders, we should follow them.
- Tony Stark: Following's not really my style.
- Steve Rogers: And you're all about style, aren't you?
- Tony Stark: Of the people in this room, which one is: A, wearing a spangly outfit; and B, not of use?
- Steve Rogers: Big man in a suit of armor. Take that off, what are you?
- Tony Stark: Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist.
- Steve Rogers: I know guys with none of that worth ten of you.
- World Security Council: Director Fury, the council has made a decision.
- Nick Fury: I recognize the council has made a decision, but given that it's a stupid-ass decision, I've elected to ignore it.
- Phil Coulson: [Dying, holding a very large gun] You're going to lose.
- Loki: Am I?
- Coulson: It's in your nature.
- Loki: Your heroes are scattered, your floating fortress falls from the sky. Where is my disadvantage?
- Coulson: You lack conviction.
- Loki: I don't think I-
- [Coulson fires the weapon, blasting Loki through a wall]
- Coulson: So that's what it does.
- Loki: What have I to fear?
- Tony Stark: The Avengers. It's what we call ourselves, sort of like a team. "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" type thing.
- Loki: Yes, I've met them.
- Tony Stark: Yeah. Takes us a while to get any traction, I'll give you that one but, let's do a head count here: Your brother, the demigod; a super soldier, a living legend who kind of lives up to the legend; a man with... breath-taking anger management issues; a couple of master assassins, and you, big fella, you've managed to piss off every single one of them.
- Loki: That was the plan.
- Tony Stark: Not a great plan. When they come, and they will, they'll come for you.
- Loki: I have an army.
- Tony Stark: We have a Hulk.
- Loki: I thought the beast had wandered off.
- Tony Stark: You're missing the point. There's no throne. There is no version of this where you come out on top. Maybe your army comes, and maybe it's too much for us, but it's all on you. Because if we can't protect the Earth, you can be damned well sure we'll avenge it.
[After Loki throws him out a window, and his suit catches him]
- Tony Stark: And there's one other person you pissed off....His name was Phil.
- Loki: Enough! All of you are beneath me! I am a god, you dull creature, and I shall not be bullied by—
- [Hulk grabs Loki and slams him around, then leaves him face-up on the floor in a crater]
- Hulk: Puny god. [Walks off]
- Avengers Assemble!
- Some assembly required.
- Every team needs a Captain.
- Throw down the hammer.
- Robert Downey, Jr. - Tony Stark/Iron Man
- Chris Evans - Steve Rogers/Captain America
- Mark Ruffalo - Dr. Bruce Banner/Hulk
- Chris Hemsworth - Thor
- Scarlett Johannson - Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow
- Jeremy Renner - Clint Barton/Hawkeye
- Tom Hiddleston - Loki
- Samuel L. Jackson - Nick Fury
- Cobie Smulders - Maria Hill
- Clark Gregg - Phil Coulson