The Good Son (film)
The Good Son is a 1993 film about a boy who is suffering from the traumatic loss of his mother (Mark Evans, played by Elijah Wood) and goes to stay with family in Maine while his dad is on a business trip out of the country. While there, he learns his cousin has a fascination with home-made weapons and death, and psychopathic tendicies against his family members.
- Directed by Joseph Rubens. Written by Ian McEwan.
- You're not going to die, mom. I promise... You're not going to die cause I won't let you.
- Henry is gone, and the rest of us are safe. But sometimes- late at night- I find myself thinking... not about Henry, but about Susan. And wondering. If she had to do it over, would she make the same choice? I guess I'll always wonder... but I know I'll never ask.
- I promise you something amazing... something you'll never forget. Are you in?
- You like my sister, don't you? Such a sweet little girl... it'd be too bad if something were to happen to her... like she got hurt... you'd be sad, wouldn't you, Mark? But hey, accidents can happen... just ask my mom about Richard.
- [taunting Mark as he's hanging, about to fall] If I let you go... do you think you could fly?
- You really thought I was going to jump, huh? I guess you don't know me very well, Mom.
- You better stop telling lies about me, because no one's gonna believe you.
- [Last words] Mom! Mom, I love you! Mom! Mom, help me! Mom!
- Hey Mark, don't fuck with me.
- Henry: I feel sorry for you, Mark. You just don't know how to have fun.
- Mark: What?
- Henry: It's because you're scared all the time. I know. I used to be scared too. But that was before I found out.
- Mark: Found out what?
- Henry: That once you realize that you can do anything... you're free. You can fly. Nobody can touch you... nobody. Mark... don't be afraid to fly.
- Mark: You're sick...
- Henry: Hey, I promise you something amazing, something you'll never forget. Where's the gratitude?
- Susan: Henry...
- Henry: Yes, Mom?
- Susan: You never told me... what happened the night that Richard died?
- Henry: Don't you know?
- Susan: I'd like to hear it coming from you.
- Henry: I was downstairs, playing.
- Susan: Henry, don't lie to me, alright? Just... don't lie to me. Now, you tell me... did you kill Richard?
- Henry: ...what if I did?
- Evil has many faces.
- In a quiet town...In a comfortable home...In a perfect family...Evil can be as close as someone you love, like your own son...
- Macaulay Culkin - Henry Evans
- Elijah Wood - Mark Evans
- Wendy Crewson - Susan Evans
- David Morse - Jack
- Daniel Hugh Kelly - Wallace Evans
- Jacqueline Brookes - Alice Davenport