The Lovely Bones (film)
The Lovely Bones is a 2009 American drama film directed by Peter Jackson. It is a film adaptation of the award-winning and best-selling 2002 novel of the same name by Alice Sebold. The film stars Saoirse Ronan as Susie Salmon, alongside Mark Wahlberg and Rachel Weisz as Susie's parents Jack and Abigail Salmon. The film also stars Susan Sarandon, Amanda Michalka and Stanley Tucci. The film received various accolades, including a Golden Globe, Screen Actors Guild, BAFTA and Academy Award nominations.
- I was slipping away, that's what it felt like, life was leaving me, but I wasn't afraid; then I remembered: "There was something I was meant to do; somewhere I was meant to be."
- Always, I would watch Ray; I was in the air around him, I was in the cold winter mornings he spent with Ruth Connors; and sometimes Ray would think of me, but he began to wonder maybe it was time to put that memory away, maybe it was time to let me go.
- There was one thing my murderer didn't understand; he didn't understand how much a father could love his child.
- My murderer was a man from our neighborhood. I took his photo once; he stepped out of nowhere and ruined the shot. He ruined a lot of things.
- I wasn't lost, or frozen, or gone... I was alive; I was alive in my own perfect world.
- Holly said there was a wide, wide heaven beyond everything we knew; where there was no cornfield, no memory, no grave... but I wasn't looking beyond yet, I was still looking back.
- I was in the blue horizon between heaven and earth. The days were unchanging and every and every night, I dream the same dream. The smell of damp earth. The scream no one heard. The sound of my heart beating like a hammer against cloth and I would hear them calling, the voices of the dead. I wanted to follow them to find a way out but I would always come back to the same door. And I was afraid. I knew if I went in there I would never come out.
- Grandma Lynn predicted I would live a long life because I had saved my brother. As usual, Grandma Lynn was wrong.
- Susie Salmon: [opens her locker as her books fall out] Oh! Crap.
- Ray Singh: [laughs] Oops.
- Susie Salmon: [starts picking her books up] It's okay.
- Ray Singh: It's fine. I got it. [secretly slips a note into her book]
- Susie Salmon: Stupid books. I don't even read them... I- I...
- Ray Singh: Susie... what are you doing on Saturday?
- Susie Salmon: [stands up in a loss for words] Are you really from England?
- Ray Singh: [smiles] Yes. You are beautiful, Susie Salmon.
- [last lines]
- Susie: [voiceover] When my mother came to my room, I realized that all this time, I had been waiting for her. I had been waiting so long, I was afraid she wouldn't come.
- Abigail: [whispering] I love you, Susie.
- Susie: [voiceover] Nobody notices when we leave. I mean, the moment when we really choose to go. At best you might feel, a whisper or the wave of a whisper, undulating down. My name is Salmon, like the fish. First name: Susie. I was 14 years old, when I was murdered on December 6, 1973. I was here for a moment, and then I was gone. I wish you all, a long, happy life.
- The story of a life and everything that came after...
- Saoirse Ronan - Susie Salmon
- Mark Wahlberg - Jack Salmon
- Rachel Weisz as Abigail Salmon
- Rose McIver - Lindsey Salmon
- Stanley Tucci - George Harvey
- Susan Sarandon - Grandma Lynn
- Michael Imperioli - Detective Len Fenerman
- Christian Thomas Ashdale -Buckley Salmo
- Reece Ritchie - Ray Singh
- Charlie Saxton - Ronald Drake
- Amanda Michalka - Clarissa
- Jake Abel - Brian Nelson
- Carolyn Dando - Ruth Connors