The NeverEnding Story (film)
(Redirected from The Neverending Story (movie))
The NeverEnding Story [Die Unendliche Geschichte] (1984) is a motion picture based on based on the novel The Neverending Story by Michael Ende; Director: Wolfgang Petersen ; Screenplay: Wolfgang Petersen, and Herman Weigel.
- No, not again. No, not again!
- Mr. Koreander: The video arcade is down the street. Here we just sell small rectangular objects. They're called books. They require a little effort on your part, and make no bee-beep-beeps. On your way please.
- Bastian: I know books. I have 186 of them at home.
- Mr. Koreander: Nah, comic books.
- Bastian: No, I've read Treasure Island, Last of the Mohicans, Wizard of Oz, Lord of the Rings, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Tarzan,...
- Mr. Koreander: Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa...
- Bastian: What's that book about?
- Mr. Koreander: Oh, this is something special.
- Bastian: Well, what is it?
- Mr. Koreander: Look, your books are safe. While you're reading them you get to become Tarzan, or Robinson Crusoe.
- Bastian: But that's what I like about 'em.
- Mr. Koreander: Ahh, but afterwards you get to be a little boy again.
- Bastian: What do you mean?
- Mr. Koreander: Listen. Have you ever been Captain Nemo, trapped inside your submarine, while the giant squid is attacking you?
- Bastian: Yes.
- Mr. Koreander: Weren't you afraid you couldn't escape?
- Bastian: But it's only a story.
- Mr. Koreander: That's what I'm taking about. The ones your read are safe.
- Bastian: And that one isn't?
- Mr. Koreander: Don't worry about it.
- Bastian: But you just said it was... [phone rings]
- Mr. Koreander: Forget about it. This book is not for you.
- Southern Oracle: Do not be afraid. We will not harm you. We have been waiting for you a long time, Atreyu.
- Atreyu: Are you the Southern Oracle?
- Southern Oracle: Yes, we are.
- Atreyu: Then you must know what can save Fantasia!
- Southern Oracle: Yes, we do.
- Atreyu: Well? What is it? I have to know!
- Southern Oracle: The Empress needs a new name.
- Atreyu: A new name? That's all? But that's easy! I can give her any name she wants!
- Southern Oracle: No one from Fantasia can do it. Only a human child can give her this new name.
- Atreyu: A human child? Where can I find one?
- Southern Oracle: You can only find one beyond the boundaries of Fantasia. [the Southern Oracle begins to crumble] If you want to save our world, you must hurry! We don't know how much longer we can withstand the Nothing.
- G'mork: If you come any closer, I will rip you to shreds.
- Atreyu: Who are you?
- G'mork: I am G'mork. And you, whoever you are, can have the honor of being my last victim.
- Atreyu: I will not die easily. I am a warrior.
- G'mork: Ha! Warrior. Then fight the Nothing.
- Atreyu: But I can't! I can't get beyond the bounaries of Fantasia! [G'mork laughs mockingly] What's so funny about that?
- G'mork: Fantasia has no boundaries.
- Atreyu: That's not true. You're lying!
- G'mork: Foolish boy. Don't you know anything about Fantasia? It's the world of human fantasy. Every part, every creature of it, is a piece of the dreams and hopes of mankind. Therefore, it has no boundaries.
- Atreyu: But why is Fantasia dying, then?
- G'mork: Because people have begun to lose their hopes and forget their dreams. So the Nothing grows stronger.
- Atreyu: What is the Nothing?
- G'mork: It's the emptiness that's left. It's like a despair, destroying this world. And I have been trying to help it.
- Atreyu: But why?
- G'mork: Because people who have no hopes are easy to control. And whoever has control has the Power.
- Atreyu: Who are you really?
- G'mork: I am the servant of the Power behind the Nothing. I was sent to kill the only one who could have stopped the Nothing. I lost him in the Swamps of Sadness. His name was Atreyu.
- Engywook: Get out of my light wench!! You're disturbing my scientific work!!!
- Urgl: You and you're SCIENTIFIC WORK!!!! What the boy needs now...is one of my potions!!
- Engywook: The Boy will need my scientific advice much more!
- Atreyu: Ahem..
Engywook: Ahhhhhh!!! He's Well!!! Now it's MY turn with him!
- Urgl: Oh no! It's your turn when I say it's your turn.....Well little man...still in pain??
- Atreyu: A little....but it's alright.
- Urgl: I LIKE THAT!!! The patient telling the doctor it's alright?? It has to HURT if it's to HEAL!!!! Drink that....that's my batwing broth!! There's eye of newt in there, old tree mold....lizard brains...scales from a rancid sea serpent!!!
- Engywook: The sphinx's eyes stay closed, until someone who does not feel his own worth tries to pass by.
- Engywook: Next is the Magic Mirror Gate. Atreyu will have to look his true self in the face.
- Falcor: So? That shouldn't be so hard.
- Engywook: Oh, that's what everyone thinks! But kind people find out that they are cruel. Brave men find out that they are really cowards! Confronted by their true selves, most men run away, screaming!
- Atreyu: I didn't get in touch with an earthling!
- The Childlike Empress: Yes, You did. He has suffered with you. He went through everything you went through, and now he has come here with you. He is very close, listening to every word, we say.
- The Childlike Empress: One grain of sand. That is all that remains of my once vast empire.
- Bastian: How many wishes do I get?
- The Childlike Empress: As many as you want. And the more wishes you make, the more magnificent Fantasia will become.
- Narrator: Bastian made many other wishes, and had many amazing adventures — until he came back to the real world. But that's... another story.
- Barret Oliver - Bastian
- Noah Hathaway - Atreyu
- Tami Stronach - The Childlike Empress
- Alan Oppenheimer - Falkor (voice)
- Gerald McRaney - Bastian's Father
- Thomas Hill - Koreander
- Moses Gunn - Cairon
- Sydney Bromley - Engywook
- Patricia Hayes - Urgl