The Princess Diaries
|This film article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
The Princess Diaries is a teen comedy released in August 2001 by Walt Disney Pictures, and based on the Meg Cabot book. In it, Anne Hathaway plays an ordinary girl who discovers her links to the royal family of the fictional land of Genovia.
- Somebody sat on me again.
- Please don't crush my soy nuts.
- Me? A... A princess? SHUT... UP!
- I can't be a princess! I'm still waiting for the normal body parts to arrive!
- Just in case I am not enough of a freak already, let's add a tiara!
- Tell me, how does my mother, or any person for that matter, go into a parent/teacher conference and come out with a date?
- [sitting in her broken-down car, in the rain] Is this punishment for driving without a licensed driver in the front seat?! [sobs and collapses across the front seat] I am invisible... and I am wet.
- (At the Genovian Independance Day Ball) Hi, um... hello. I'm Mia. Um, it's stopped raining! I'm really no good at speech-making. Normally I get so nervous that I faint or run away, or sometimes I even get sick. But you really didn't need to know that... But I'm not so afraid anymore. See, my father helped me. Earlier this evening had every intention of giving up my claim to the throne. And my mother helped me, by telling me it was ok, and by supporting me like she has for my entire life. But then I wondered how I'd feel after abdicating my role as Princess of Genovia. Would I feel relieved, or would I feel sad? And then I realized how many stupid times a day I use the word 'I.' And probably all I ever do is think about myself. And how lame is that when there's like seven billion other people out there on the planet, and... sorry, I'm going too fast. But then I thought, if I cared about the other seven billion out there, instead of just me, that's probably a much better use of my time. See, if I were Princess of Genovia, then my thoughts and the thoughts of people smarter than me would be much better heard, and just maybe those thoughts could be turned into actions. So this morning when I woke up, I was Mia Thermopolis. But now I choose to be forevermore, Amelia Mignonette Thermopolis Renaldi, Princess of Genovia.
- No matter how many times you push that button, it will still go up and down the same way.
- The flags mean I can park anywhere I want. We keep the flags.
- I have never worn pantyhose but it sounds very dangerous.
- [last lines] Princess, look out the window... And welcome to Genovia.
- [to Joe] You know you look like Shaft?
- Is your mom dating an undertaker?
- I'm taking your charm off of my charm bracelet AND IT'S GOING IN THE DIRT!!
- [to Michael and Mia] WAIT UP YOU GUYS! WAIT FOR ME! [two other students stop for her] Not you, I don't even know you!
- Will the Feng Shui club please stop rearranging the tables on the lawn?
- Remember, virtual homework may not be submitted for actual credit.
- Paolo: I love your eyebrows. We'll call them Frida and Kahlo. If Brooke Shields married Groucho Marx, their child would have your eyebrows.
- Edward Renaldi (Mia's father): [from his letter to Mia for her 16th birthday] "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all. From now on you'll be traveling the road between who you think you are and who you can be. The key is to allow yourself to make the journey."
- Mia: Good morning, Mrs. Gupta.
- Mrs. Gupta: (Looks at Lily) Morning, Lily. (Looks at Mia) ...Lily's friend.
- Queen Clarisse: (upon first seeing Mia) You look so... young.
- Mia: Uh, thank you. And you look so... (Clarisse raises her eyebrows) clean.
- Queen Clarisse: Where is she going?
- Helen: The tower. [runs after Mia] Mia, you can't run away from everything!
- Queen Clarisse: [to herself] She has a tower?
- Mia: Joe, can you drop us off a block from the school? I don't want to cause a riot with this hearse.
- Joe: This is a non-riot hearse. If it were a hearse, there would be silence in the backseat.
- Mia: I can't do this, I'm a girl!
- Gym Teacher Harbula: What am I, a duck?
- [Joe is teaching Mia how to dance.]
- Joe: This is betweeen a waltz and a tango.
- Mia: It's a wango?
- [During Mia's makeover, Paolo takes off her glasses]
- Paolo: Do you wear contact lenses?
- Mia: Well, I have them, but I don't like to wear them that much.
- Paolo: [breaks Mia's glasses in half] Now you do!
- Mia: [in shock] You broke my glasses!
- Paolo: You broke my brush.
- Joe: Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Mia: Eleanor Roosevelt said that.
- Joe: Ah, yes. Another special lady like yourself.
- Michael: Why me?
- Mia: Because you saw me when I was invisible.
- Julie Andrews as Queen Clarisse Renaldi
- Anne Hathaway as Mia Thermopolis
- Hector Elizondo as Joe
- Heather Matarazzo as Lily Moscovitz
- Caroline Goodall as Helen Thermopolis
- Robert Schwartzman as Michael Moscovitz
- Sandra Oh as Vice-Principal Gupta
- She rocks. She rules. She reigns.
- From the director of Pretty Woman and Runaway Bride
- For every girl who's never dreamed of being a princess