The Razor's Edge (1984 film)
- Directed by John Byrum. Written by John Byrum and Bill Murray, based upon the novel of the same name by W. Somerset Maugham.
|This film article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- It's very easy to love someone like you.
- To Sophie
- This isn't the old Mister Sunshine.
- It's easy to be a holy man on top of a mountain.
- When Piedmont died, I had to pay him back for my life. I found out there's another debt to pay — for the privilege of being alive. I thought Sophie was my reward for trying to live a good life. Uh uh. There is no payoff — not now.
- Monk: The pathway to salvation is as narrow and as difficult to walk as a razor's edge.
Quotes about The Razor's Edge
- I don't know what my fans are going to think. It's definitely not what they're used to from me.
- Bill Murray, in Stills Magazine (1984)
- I think The Razor's Edge is a pretty good movie. But at the time, it was just as reviled as any other comedian doing a serious thing now. Like The Majestic [with Jim Carrey], movies where comedians go straight, people don't like them.
It angers people, like you're taking something away from them. That's the response I got. I thought, "Well, aren't we all bigger than that?" I wasn't shocked by it, but I thought that the professional critics would be able to say, "OK, we shouldn't rule this out, because the guy normally does other stuff."
Unless it's really despicable, then you have to just jump with both feet on the neck.
- Bill Murray, in Rolling Stone Issue 903 (22 August 2002)
- Bill Murray — Larry Darrell
- Theresa Russell — Sophie MacDonald
- Catherine Hicks — Isabel Bradley
- Denholm Elliott — Elliott Templeton
- James Keach — Gray Maturin
- Peter Vaughan — Mackenzie
- Brian Doyle-Murray — Piedmont