Tigers (Panthera tigris), a member of the Felidae family, are the largest of the four "big cats" in the genus Panthera. They are native to much of eastern and southern Asia, and are an apex predator and an obligate carnivore. The larger tiger subspecies are comparable in size to the biggest extinct felids, reaching up to 3.3 metres (11 ft) in total length, weighing up to 300 kilograms (660 pounds), and having canines up to 4 inches long. Aside from their great bulk and power, their most recognisable feature is a pattern of dark vertical stripes that overlays near-white to reddish-orange fur, with lighter underparts.
|This theme article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- All you gotta do is to use your instincts. How do you think a tiger knows how to tackle a gazelle? It's written, it's code written in their DNA, says "Tackle the gazelle." Believe it or not, in every man there's a code written that says "Tackle drunk bitches."
- Tiger, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye,
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
- William Blake, The Tiger, reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 792.
- If a man proves too clearly and convincingly to himself … that a tiger is an optical illusion — well, he will find out he is wrong. The tiger will himself intervene in the discussion, in a manner which will be in every sense conclusive.
- G. K. Chesterton, reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 898.
- Even after killing ninety nine tigers the Maharaja should beware of the hundredth.
- Kalki Krishnamurthy, in "The TIger King" as translated in Kalki : Selected Stories (1999)
- Animals do not think like we do. People who forget that get themselves killed. That tiger … is not your friend. When you look into his eyes you are seeing your own emotions reflected back at you.
- In the zoo we fed our tigers an average of 5 kilos of meat a day. Richard Parker will be getting hungry soon. Tigers are powerful swimmers, and if he get's hungry enough, I'm afraid the little bit of water between us won't be any protection. I need to find a way to feed him. I can eat the biscuits, but God made tigers carnivores, so I must learn to catch fish. If I don't, I'm afraid his last meal will be a skinny vegetarian boy.
- It's The Eye Of The Tiger
It's the thrill of The Fight!
Standing up to the challenge of your rival.