Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (TV miniseries)
(Redirected from Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy)
- (on his enforced retirement from the Secret Service) Reason as motive, or reason as logic, or reason as a way of life? They don't have to give me a reason - I can write my own damn reasons - and that is better than the half-baked tolerance that comes from no longer caring!
- (to Peter Guillam) I'm surprised they didn't throw you out with the rest of us. You had all the qualifications for losing your job; good at your work, loyal, discreet...
- (responding to a rumor about the Circus's deceased chief) Control died of a heart attack, after a long illness, throughout most of which he continued to work. Besides he hated South Africa. He hated everywhere except Surrey, the Circus, and Lords cricket ground.
- You featherhead, Martindale! You pompous, bogus, gossiping old featherhead.
- Roy Bland is not "red brick." He was at St. Antony's College, Oxford.
- As a good socialist, I'm going where the money is, and as a good capitalist, I'm sticking with the revolution, because if you can't beat it spy on it.
- Don't look like that George, it's the name of the game these days - you scratch my conscience, I'll drive your Jag.
- Control: (repeated line) There are three of them and Alleline.
- George Smiley: I'm so out of touch, Peter - does Lacon have any particular titles these days?
- Peter Guilliam: Just Sir Oliver of the Cabinet office. You know how he loves being one of nature's prefects.
- Roy Bland: Who was the bloke who said an intellectual is someone who can hold two completely opposing viewpoints and still function?
- George Smiley: Scott Fitzgerald.
- Roy Bland: Well, Fitzgerald knew a thing or two.
- Bill Haydon: What do you want to know?
- George Smiley: Oh... why? How? When?
- Bill Haydon: (incredulous) "Why?" You ask that? (laughing and crying at the same time) Because it was necessary! That's why! Someone had to!
- Bill Haydon: We were bluffed, George. You, me, even Control. Those Circus talent spotters, all those years ago. They plucked us when we were golden with hope, told us we were on our way to the Holy Grail... freedom's protectors... (laughing and crying) My God, what a question... "why?"
- Alec Guiness - George Smiley
- Michael Jayston - Peter Guillam
- Ian Bannen - Jim Prideaux
- Hywel Bennett - Ricki Tarr
- Michael Aldridge - Percy Alleline
- Ian Richardson - Bill Haydon
- Terence Rigby - Roy Bland
- Bernard Hepton - Toby Esterhase
- Anthony Bate - Oliver Lacon
- Beryl Reid - Connie Sachs
- Alexander Knox - Control
- Sian Phillips - Ann Smiley
- Patrick Stewart - Karla