Toronto is the largest city in Canada.
- York is just emerging from the woods, but bids fair to be a flourishing town.
- John Bennett, the King's Printer in Upper Canada (1801)
- Houses of ill-fame in Toronto? Certainly not. The whole city is an immense house of ill fame.
- C. S. Clark, Of Toronto the Good (1898)
- It is not squalid like Birmingham, or cramped like Canton, or scattered like Edmonton, or sham like Berlin, or hellish like New York, or tiresome like Nice. It is all right. The only depressing thing is that it will always be what it is, only larger, and that no Canadian city can ever be anything better or different. If they are good they may become Toronto.
- Indeed I have always found that the only thing in regard to Toronto which faraway people know for certain is that McGill University is in it.
- Stephen Leacock, My Discovery of the West (1937)
- Last night I Had a dream about Toronto. I was on my bicycle, cruising about in front of the old house. And, as usual in my dreams, I was a little girl again. A little girl in Toronto, with long golden curls.
- Toronto as a city carries out the idea of Canada as a country. It is a calculated crime against the aspirations of the soul and the affection of the heart.
- Aleister Crowley, The Confessions of Aleister Crowley (1970)
- Parish's observant father had once commented to her that Toronto was a city of straight streets and square corners built by Scottish bankers to make money - not to look at the beautiful lake or the wonderful valleys and forests. He was mostly right, but Bay was a rare exception to the city's linear grid.
- Robert Rotenberg, Old City Hall (2009)
- You're going to have a great town here if you ever get it finished.
- No one should ever visit Toronto for the first time.
- Toronto is the city of the future-and always will be.
- Alan Lamport
- Arthur, Eric (1986). Toronto: No Mean City. University of Toronto Press. pp. 32. Retrieved on 2010-12-31.
- Plummer, Kevin (2011-04-09). Historicist: A Handful of People Who Know About Books. Torontoist. Retrieved on 2011-04-11.