Touched By An Angel
|This TV article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- 1 Season 1
- 2 Season 2
- 2.1 Interview With An Angel [2.1]
- 2.2 Trust [2.2]
- 2.3 Sympathy For The Devil [2.3]
- 2.4 The Driver [2.4]
- 2.5 Angels On The Air [2.5]
- 2.6 In The Name Of God [2.6]
- 2.7 Reunion [2.7]
- 2.8 Operation Smile [2.8]
- 2.9 The Big Bang [2.9]
- 2.10 Unidentified Female [2.10]
- 2.11 The Feather [2.11]
- 2.12 The One That Got Away [2.12]
- 2.13 Til We Meet Again [2.13]
- 2.14 Rock 'N' Roll Dad [2.14]
- 2.15 Indigo Angel [2.15]
- 2.16 Jacob's Ladder [2.16]
- 2.17 Out Of Darkness [2.17]
- 2.18 Lost And Found [2.18]
- 2.19 Dear God [2.19]
- 2.20 Portrait Of Mrs. Campbell [2.20]
- 2.21 The Quality Of Mercy [2.21]
- 2.22 Flesh And Blood [2.22]
- 2.23 Birthmarks [2.23]
- 2.24 Statute Of Limitations [2.24]
- 3 Season 3
- 3.1 Promised Land [3.1]
- 3.2 A Joyful Noise [3.2]
- 3.3 Random Acts [3.3]
- 3.4 Sins Of The Father [3.4]
- 3.5 Written In Dust [3.5]
- 3.6 Secret Service [3.6]
- 3.7 Groundrush [3.7]
- 3.8 The Sky Is Falling [3.8]
- 3.9 Something Blue [3.9]
- 3.10 Into The Light [3.10]
- 3.11 Homecoming Pt. 1' [3.11]
- 3.12 The Journalist [3.12]
- 3.13 The Violin Lesson [3.13]
- 3.14 Forget Me Not [3.14]
- 3.15 Smokescreen [3.15]
- 3.16 Crisis Of Faith [3.16]
- 3.17 Angel Of Death [3.17]
- 3.18 Clipped Wings [3.18]
- 3.19 Amazing Grace Pt. 1 [3.19]
- 3.20 Amazing Grace Pt. 2 [3.20]
- 3.21 Labor Of Love [3.21]
- 3.22 Have You Seen Me? [3.22]
- 3.23 Last Call [3.23]
- 3.24 Missing In Action [3.24]
- 3.25 At Risk [3.23]
- 3.26 Full Moon [3.24]
- 3.27 An Angel By Any Other Name [3.25]
- 3.28 Inherit The Wind [3.26]
- 3.29 A Delicate Balance [3.27]
- 4 Cast
- 5 External links
Southbound Bus [1.1]
- Monica: [About humans] How do they do it, Tess? They get up every morning and start all over again. Takes a lot of courage to do that. And they don't even know what we know.
- Tess: God help 'em!
- Tess: [Parting advice for Monica's first experience in human form] Don't start eating everything you see. Now I spend my first assignment as a food tester for one of the Caesars. Look at me. It takes a century to take it off.
- Tess: You must be little David.
- David: I'm not little.
- Tess: Well, I never saw adults with dinosaurs on their underwear before.
- Monica: (getting off the bus, sees an angry Tess) Now, before you say anything---
- Tess: Don't tell me what to say or when, Miss Wings. I want to know what you're doin' here!
- Monica: Well, I just thought...
- Tess: That's where you made your first mistake. Did I tell you to think north? No, I distinctly remember telling you to get on the bus and go north. GO north. Now, you get your little angel butt back to the city, and take care of business.
- Monica: But I am. I'm helping David.
- Tess: You were told to stay close to David. That's what he needs.
- Monica: What David needs is his mother, and all of a sudden my instincts were kicking in, and...
- Tess: Wait just a minute. Let me see if I understand you correctly. You want me to go back to the Creator of the Universe, the Alpha, the Omega, the Great I Am and explain that the words of the Almighty were disobeyed because Monica's instincts kicked in?
- Ruth Ann: [when asked to accompany Monica to the Dead Dog Saloon] I hate those places. All the noise, the smoke, the crowds and that's just in the ladies room.
- Monica: What happened last night was my fault and I'm sorry. I thought you were someone else.
- Ruth Ann: Yeah. For a moment, so did I.
- Monica: You can change all this running.
- Ruth Ann: I guess. I just don't feel ready. Monica, it was nice meeting you but if you don't mind, I'd just soon you forget you ever saw me, all right?
- Monica: You don't know what you're doing.
- Ruth Ann: I'm doing the best I can.
- Monica: If you change your mind and you need help, just ask for it. It will be there. Believe it.
- Christine: There isn't a single night that I don't lie in bed and ask myself: Did Katie cry and I didn't hear? Did I turn the television up too loud? Why didn't I just walk into the room and kiss her goodnight again?
- Monica: It's time to forgive yourself.
- Christine: I can't.
- Monica: I'll help you. I'm an angel. [Christine refuses and wants to drive away only to find that there is no car] I'll give it back, I promise. Really, I am an angel.
- Christine: You're an angel?! You're an angel, so what?! What are you doing here now? Where the hell were you a year ago? Where was the angel when my baby died alone in her crib? Why didn't an angel come down and take me out of my bed and drag me into that nursery? Why didn't an angel dial 911 for me? Where the hell was the damn angel then?!! Oh, God, why did you send an angel? [Breaks down in tears]
- Monica: [Embraces her] Christine, there was an angel with your baby that night. That's what she was there for. And it's the same angel who's with her right now and forever. God loves you, Christine. So much you can't even imagine. And so do I.
- Christine: But you understand if I just said I wanted to get out of here.
- Monica: No. But then again, we don't understand everything.
- Christine: It's not that I don't love him, you know. I do. That's why I stay away.
- Monica: Love doesn't hide, Christine. It stays and fights. It goes the distance. That's why God made love so strong so it can carry you all the way home.
- Monica: What I want to know is why did You give me a heart if You didn't want me to follow it? Love doesn't hide, that's what You said. It hopes all things, it endures all things, it never fails, it stays and it fights. That's what I'm fighting with now. I love that little boy. Please, if I messed things up, please help me to put them back on track. Don't let that child spend one more minute without his mother and don't let his father spend one more lonely night. Please. Please help me. Please.
- Monica: It worked. Thank God it worked.
- Tess: What'd you do?
- Monica: I did something really radical, Tess. I prayed.
- Tess: Now you know that's dangerous. But if you think that gets you out of that little mess of yours, you got another thing coming.
- Monica: Oh, c'mon! Admit it. I pulled it off.
- Tess: You and who else?
Show Me The Way Home [1.2]
- Monica: [while practicing baseball] Are you sure this is how it's done?
- Tess: You are speaking to the angel who told the Babe which way to point. And you know who kept Kirk Gibson in that locker room 'til he was ready to hit that home run?
- Tess: He's got a temper the size of Montana, this coach. But the wind is changing. A mighty storm is rising. And the rains are about to fall hard on that man. And he's going to need an angel to hold the umbrella.
- Monica: Me.
- Monica: It seems to me that encouragement goes a lot farther with a person than yelling.
- Coach Earl: Losers get encouragement. Winners get coached. [To his team] C'mon, guys.
- Monica: That's funny. I thought you caught a lot more fleas with honey.
- Tess: [whispers] Flies.
- Monica: Flies.
- Earl: You gotta drink what you toast or it doesn't work.
- Monica: [Holding a bottle of tabasco sauce] Coach, don't tell me you're superstitious.
- Tess: Malicious is more like it.
- Earl: They let down their guard for one minute or they got sloppy for an instant, that's the opening the enemy is waiting for and bingo! They're dead.
- Monica: But this is baseball. These are kids playing against kids, not the enemy.
- Earl: No difference. Today it's baseball. Someday it'll be something else. Kids gotta learn to fight to win in a job or..
- Monica: Or in a war?.... So that's how it happened. In a war. You got sloppy and you got hurt. Are you really trying to save these kids from the same thing? Or do you just need someone to pay for it?
- Monica: Sometimes we have to stand up and fight for what we believe in. And sometimes, it takes even more courage to stay put. To hold your ground and refuse to be bullied.
- Peter: It doesn't always stop it.
- Monica: No. It doesn't change the bully. But it changes you.
- Tess: I told you he needed an umbrella but I didn't tell you to hit him on the head with it.
- Monica: I know. I got angry.
- Tess: Well, anger's not so bad. You just gotta be careful where you put it. So now you're sitting out here contemplating the infinite, huh?
- Monica: And what it takes to run it. [sigh] I can't see the plan, Tess. I know I'm supposed to be doing something but I don't know what. He said so many awful things.
- Tess: You see, that anger's clouding his brain. Forget what he said. What did you hear?
- Monica: I heard fear. Fear that his life has been a waste. He knows that he's dying. And he knows that he's dying by himself.
- Tess: Oh, honey, we all die by ourselves. It's living by ourselves that hurts. What is he leaving behind that will last?
- Monica: I don't know.
- Tess: Some of our best living is done by the people we leave behind.
- Monica: [the day of the big game] Tess, any last minute pointers?
- Tess: Well, same thing I told the Babe. Hit far and run fast.
- Monica: That's it?
- Tess: Well, I never got any complaints outta him.
- Earl: You know, until last night, I was afraid of this. Dying.
- Monica: Until last night, you weren't really living.
Tough Love [1.3]
- Monica: [Sniffing coffee] Wow! This smells incredible, Tess.
- Tess: Honey, will you wake up and stop smelling the coffee? Sooner or later, you gotta drink it. It's like life. You never really know how good it is until you taste it. And all coffee doesn't taste the same.
- Monica: What's espresso? I always hear about espresso.
- Tess: Strong and bitter. Some people like it like that: straight ahead, rich, undeluded. There's another side to an espresso kind of life. Heartburn. That's the price you pay for all that flavour.
- Monica: You make it sound so dangerous.
- Tess: Well, I've had my flings with danger. But my favorite is a good ol' cup of Joe: straight ahead, honest, no camouflage. 'Cause when you try to hide what's underneath, you end up feeling miserable.
- Elizabeth: Want a drink?
- Monica: Oh, I'd love a cup of non-fat decaf mocha latte with a little nutmeg on the side.... Or a cup of Joe?
- Elizabeth: I got iced tea.
- Monica: Well, I haven't worked up to tea yet but how about a nice cup of water?
- [At dinner with her daughter Sydney and granddaughter Beth]
- Elizabeth: I think the last lover I had in Rome was a New Wave director. Now what was his name?
- Sydney: For Heaven's sake, Mother!
- Elizabeth: Don't give me that holier-than-thou pious look of yours, Sydney. When was the last time you had a lover? Might do you some good, you know.
- Monica: [interjecting] A good brisk walk in the morning always does me a lot of good.
- [As Sydney and Beth leave]
- Monica: Sydney, I'm sorry. I didn't realize.
- Sydney: What?
- Monica: That your mother has a drinking problem.
- Sydney: My mother doesn't have a drinking problem. My mother is an alcoholic.
- Sydney: Do you have any idea what it's like to watch your own mother self-destruct? I love her. She's...She's my mother but I've given up.
- Monica: No! You must never give up, Sydney.
- Sydney: You know... You know what the really hard thing is? It's that..I know. I know what I need to do. I know what it's gonna take. It's just I can't do it alone.
- Monica: Well, then. I'll help you.
- Monica: Why didn't you tell me from the start?
- Tess: Well, when you met Elizabeth, you made friends with a very strong and talented and interesting woman. If you had known then what you know today, you might have just seen the alcoholic and not the woman. And that's who we love and that's who we wanna help.
- Monica: But she doesn't want any help.
- Tess: Then it's up to you to help her want it.
- Monica: This could take years.
- Tess: You got somewhere to go?
- Monica: Tess, it's awful watching her destroy herself like this.
- Tess: Well, think how it looks to her.
- Elizabeth: And here it is. The pin from my ejection seat.
- Monica: The pilot gave this to you?
- Elizabeth: Honey, we lost two wheels in ground fire. There was no way I was going to try to land that thing. He thought it was the least I deserved.
- Monica: God loves you.
- Elizabeth: Why?
- Monica: Because you're Elizabeth. Not Elizabeth the journalist or the prizewinner or the alcoholic but because you're you. God loves you. Elizabeth, this is not who you were created to be. You spent your whole life running and running and trying so hard to catch up to something that was never there for you. But all you've done was go farther and farther away from that precious love that is always there for you. Now you've almost lost that completely.
- Elizabeth: [Incomprehensibly, in tears] I'm sorry. I'm sorry! Oh, God, I'm so sorry!! What am I gonna do?
- Monica: You just did it.
- Tess: Any marimba playing going on in there?
- Monica: Beautiful music, Tess. Beautiful music.
- Tess: That's gonna be some kind of interesting book of memoirs she's gonna write.
- Monica: Right. It'll be worth waiting for.
- Tess: It always is, baby. It always is.
Fallen Angela [1.4]
- Monica: I'm afraid of the water.
- Tess: Say that again?
- Monica: I never had to work near lakes and oceans. I always asked to be excused from those and I was. Bad memories of the Flood, I guess.
- Tess: This is ridiculous! What is the first thing an angel says? "Fear not. Be not afraid. Except for large bodies of water." Is that it?
- Monica: I know there's nothing to be afraid of. I know it doesn't make any sense.
- Tess: Well, actually, it makes good sense now. The thing you're terrified of is something she loves.
- Monica: Who?
- Tess: Your next assignment, Angela Evans. She's fighting a terrible fear. The kind that comes in the night and whispers in your ear 'til dawn and then sends you running to the sea just to get the voices to quit for a little while. But Angela's voices won't quit. Not until her own voice drowns them out.
- Angela: I love your accent. You must be from the old country, huh?
- Monica: Yes, Very, very old.
- Tess: People only carry on in the dark when they don't want you to see what they're doing.
- Angela: Let me tell you something, Lundy. I lived with my father my whole life and I never knew him because he was too afraid to get to know me. Don't make the same mistake he did.
- Angela: It's funny. You seem to have all this wisdom but you don't know how to make a cup of coffee.
- Monica: That's the spice of life, I think. Everyone's on a different schedule. Maybe this is the night I'm supposed to learn how to make coffee. And maybe this is the night you're supposed to tell Carter the truth.
- Monica: Something's happening to me, Tess. I'm afraid.
- Tess: Like being afraid of the sea? Sometimes we're afraid of what we can't control. But Angela is going to make her decision to let her secret free or to bury it deeper.
- Monica: I wish I could make that decision for her.
- Tess: That's not what love does.
- Monica: I've never had a friend before.
- Tess: And what am I? Chopped liver?
- Monica: You know what I mean. The more I get to know about human beings, the more I get to know about myself.
- Angela: You saved me. Are you...?
- Monica: I am an angel.
- Angela: Like... Like a real angel? Sent by...?
- Monica: Sent by God.
- Angela: I knew there was something about you. Something so strong. Something so fearless. Something...Something I wanted to be. [Starts to cry]
- Monica: Shh...Look at me. Look at me, Angela. You are strong. You had the courage to make a sacrifice to save someone that you loved. And you taught me a lesson today. That love erases fear. For when I saw you out there, I would have dived into the deepest ocean to bring you back.
- Angela: It might not have been such a good idea.
- Monica: You made the choice, Angela. You want to live. You just don't want to live like this.
- Angela: But I can't change the past....Can you?
- Monica: [Shakes her head] But all you need to know about the past is that no matter what has happened, it has all worked together to bring you to this very moment. And it is this moment right now that you can choose to make everything new.
- Angela: You know something about almost dying?
- Monica: No. actually, I don't.
- Angela: All of a sudden, there's not a whole lot more to be afraid of.
- Tess: Well, we all have our little idiosyncracies. You don't like water and I'm not much on patience.
- Monica: You know, Tess, sometimes you can be really pushy.
- Tess: That's what friends are for.
Cassie's Choice [1.5]
- Tess; People are too busy to meet themselves anymore. Everybody's faxing and modeming and on-lineing and inputing and downloading. You don't like it? Change the channel. Push the button: Escape. Delete. You know, you can say anything to anybody anywhere in the world in seconds. But it still takes as much time as it ever took to know a soul or mend a broken heart or give birth to a child. Even in this world of change, some things don't. And children like her get lost in the in-between.
Monica: (to Cassie during a painful contraction) Cassie, I want you to imagine you're playing a beautiful flute solo. A strong, simple melody. Can you hear it? And now the melody is joined by an oboe, and a clarinet, and a horn. And now the strings take it up, playing faster, until it rises on a wave of percussion, until...until it's over.
- Joanne: I never had a grandchild before. It's just a little tough to get one and lose one all on the same day.
- Monica: [Witnessing a birth] I've never seen it from this side before. Oh, isn't it something?
- Doctor: How long have you been working on OD? I haven't seen you around here before.
- Monica: I've been working upstairs.
- [When Craig, the boyfriend, arrives]
- Cassie: Shannon, we need some privacy.
- Shannon: Oh, right. Just remember privacy got you into this.
- Cassie: I know I'm not supposed to see the baby because then I won't want to give her up and the baby won't want to go either. But all I can think of is how down that hall, there's a part of me I may never see again. What's it gonna be like in 20 years from now if I never saw her? What's it gonna be like if I did? What should I do?
- Monica: Cassie, that's a decision that only you can make. But I believe that if you truly make that decision out of nothing but love, it'll be a decision you can live with.
- Cassie: What kind of nurse are you? Aren't you a little far from the hospital?
- Monica: I'm a floater. I go where I'm needed.
- Monica: Tess, what am I supposed to be doing with Cassie? Am I supposed to get her to go back to the Feldmans? Or am I supposed to help her keep her baby?
- Tess: You're supposed to help her become a good mother.
- Cassie: How am I gonna take care of her? I never knew being a mother would feel like this. It's so...every moment. I'm just a kid. I'm not a good mother.
- Monica: Oh, Cassie, you are a good mother because you know what it is to love your baby more than yourself.
- Cassie: But how do I know the Feldmans are the right parents for her?
- Monica: No one knows the future, Cassie. I can tell you this. Your daughter's going to have a wonderful life. She's going to have freckles just like you. And she'll have skinned knees and maybe a broken arm but she'll win the fourth grade spelling bee and become president of her sophomore class. And she'll fall in love... a few times. And Cassie, she'll play the violin in the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.
- Cassie: How-How do you know all that?
- Monica: Because I'm an angel.
- Cassie: You mean like a psychic or something?
- Monica: [Chuckles] No, this is not a prediction, Cassie. It's a message. Do you remember when you were a child and you used to pray at night: "Please, God, let me make beautiful music"? Well, that prayer will be answered for generations to come because the beautiful music, it started with you.
- Joanne: [To Cassie] You made your decision. The Feldmans were there. Everything was planned. Except for how you'd feel. That's the only thing no one thought of.
The Heart Of The Matter [1.6]
- Tess: Honey, you are plunging into the lion's den. You're dealing with a lawyer.
- [When Charles found out he gave the money to the wrong person, he visits Robin again]
- Charles: Am I to assume you purchased these items with the money we gave you yesterday?
- Robin: Yes. It was incredible! All my life, I'd wanted to spend an entire day in a shoe store and not even look at the prices.
- Charles: Well.... I'm afraid you're going to have to give those back.
- Robin: Yeah, I know. They make my calves look really fat.
- Charles: How could one person buy so many shoes, so many UGLY shoes?
- Robin: Probably because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no taste.
- Monica: Tess, isn't it amazing the different ways people think of to protect their feet.
- Tess: That's nothing. Look what they start thinking of when they start trying to protect their hearts.
- Monica: Charles? Poor dear. I can't even see his heart from here.
- Tess: Then you just gotta get closer.
- [Trying to threaten Robin's ex-boyfriend]
- Charles: You know, bookmaking is illegal.
- Smoky: So's putting jerks in comas.
Monica (beating Smokey at pool) Okey-dokey, Smokey. Four ball, side pocket. And the six ball left corner, not forgetting my favorite, number seven, in that corner.
(She makes the shot).
Monica: One and three, into the corner, into the two, into the five, side pocket, kissing the eight.
Smokey: What are you, delusional? The cue ball's blocked by the eight!
(She makes the shot).
Smokey: Where did you ever learn to play like that?
Monica: Well, I once worked in a pool hall as a sort of security guard.
- Tess: When are you going to learn to stop hearing and start listening, Miss Wings?
- [At a disco, watching people dance]
- Tess: [Cringing] I can't help but wonder which one of those kids I'm gonna see later in traction.
- Monica: They're expressing themselves, Tess.
- Tess: Whatever happened to the gavotte? And the minuet, you remember the minuet? 1-2-3, 1-2-3, bow and curtsey. Kept the hormones in a state of perpetual anticipation. That's my kind of thing. (Looks at Charles' dancing) 'Course, in his case, maybe he oughta do a little less anticipating and a little more expressing.
- Tess: Nothing's really wrong with the man's heart. Except he's terrified of letting it out again.
- Monica: Again?
- Tess: Well, what if you ran away from home and nobody noticed?
- Monica: What if you gave away your heart and nobody cared?
- Monica: All your life, you've been afraid of life. And if you haven't convinced yourself that you were dying then you'd decide you're too fat or too short or too anything as long as it could convince you to hide. But God made you, Charles, and He knew what He was doing. You're not too anything, except almost too late.
An Unexpected Snow [1.7]
- Monica: She's late.
- Tess: There's no such thing as late. Destiny picks its own time.
- Monica: What do I do when it happens, Tess?
- Tess: Destiny doesn't happen. It arrives. And when it does, you either batten down the hatches and wait 'til it blows over or you swing open the gates and invite it in to supper.
- Monica: I wish it had a way of showing itself so she'd know what she's dealing with.
- Tess: [Slightly exasperated] Then it wouldn't be destiny.
- Monica: And I wouldn't have a job?
- Tess: You go, girl! Now you're getting it. [A wind blows] Hark.
- Monica: Hark?
- Tess: [Shrugs] I miss the old days.
- [After Susanna and Megan nearly collide their cars into each other]
- Susanna: Are you hurt?
- Megan: That depends. Are you calling an ambulance or a lawyer?
- [Adam is playing the piano but not very well]
- Tess: Where did you learn to play?
- Adam: Funerals.
- [Tess and Adam are looking at a turkey that Tess wants Adam to handle since he's the Angel of Death]
- Tess: Send him to his reward!
- Megan: Sanity's overrated.
- Monica: Why do you suppose people take pictures?
- Megan: Well, deep down, I think it's our way on declaring war on death. You take a picture of something and if it goes away, you still have a piece of it.
- Monica: It seems to me that it's better to have all of it for a while than a piece of it forever.
- Monica: This is what you call an unexpected snow. One moment, the sky is clear and the next moment, it's falling down. Now you can run inside and hide or you can become part of it and let it change you.
- [About Adam's Thanksgiving "assignment", the turkey]'
- Tess: You said you wanted to help out.
- Adam: Yes, but it's a little like inviting an accountant to dinner and then asking him to balance your checkbook.
- Megan: [To Jack] I always knew you had a wife. I just never realized you were married.
- Megan: All this time I told myself we had something special. But tonight when he looked at me and walked up the stairs with her, I realized: "My God! I'm just the other woman." I'm his secret. He's been keeping me in a room I didn't even know I was in.
- Monica: But you walked into that room all by yourself.
- Megan: I did the one thing I swore I'd never do. It's just that... after a while, you spend enough nights alone, you go to too many other people's weddings and baby showers, you spend too many holidays at other people's houses and you want just a little piece of happiness forr yourself. Just for a while, you know. Just so that I could say someday that somebody wanted me. That somebody thought I was special.
- Monica: Megan, wanting to love someone and wanting to be loved in return, these things are good and right. But wanting them from someone else's husband is wrong.
- Megan: He's not supposed to be married! He's supposed to be with me! God's made a mistake.
- Monica: No, when things get this ugly and painful, God has nothing to do with them.
- Megan: Well, then I wish He'd tell me what to do now.
- Monica: I think He's just about to. [It starts to snow] Megan, when you cry, God cries with you. But He can't wipe away your tears unless you let Him.
- Megan: The road I took yesterday. It wasn't an accident. [Monica shakes her head] And this place...?
- Monica: This house was created for you, for this night, this moment. Megan, I'm an angel and this is your unexpected snow.
- Megan: Well, I can't! I can't give him up and I won't! You go tell that to God. Why can't He just let me have this?
- Monica: Because there's better love for you.
- Megan: Where?
- Monica: I don't know where. And I don't know when. The only thing I do know is that the kind of love worth waiting for, you won't have to lie for or steal or keep it hidden in a box to visit on weekends.
- Megan: Well, it may not be a great love but it's my love.
- Monica: No, it isn't. It belongs to Susanna.
- Tess: Brace yourself, Jack, 'cause I don't have a lot of time to pussyfoot around with you. I'm an angel sent by God. Now you can accept that or not but what you will accept when I'm finished is the concept of fidelity: lock, stock and barrel. Do I make myself clear? [Silence] I'll take that as a yes.
- [Later, on the swing, in Jack's old honeymoon spot]
- Jack: Pretty soon, we stopped finding things to talk about. And after a while, we just drifted apart.
- Tess: When two people are on a journey, there will be miles when they fall silent. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't be travelling together.
- Jack: The last time I sat on this swing, I was scared to death. Susanna was inside, asleep and I spent half the night just terrified that I've given my life over to another person. One person. Forever. Someone I loved so much that I just couldn't imagine her not being in my life. Maybe that's what scared me the most. I think that's finally why I had an affair. The more you invest in one person, the more you have to lose if you lose her.
- Tess: So you just decided to spread your wonderful self all around, huh? Gave you an easy way out the back door, doesn't it?
- Jack: I actually read about this at the dentist's office. It's called the male fear of death syndrome.
- Tess: [Sarcastically] Oh, that's what you got?
- Jack: That's what it feels like.
- Tess: Well, get over it.
- Jack: Look, I'm not proud of all this. But that journey that you're talking about? I just can't seem to find my way back to the road.
- Tess: You stand up, honey. And you walk. And if you ever feel like straying again, remember this moment. You can always come back to this moment.
- Monica: What difference does a name make? A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet, right?
- Tess: Yeah, but the problem is most people think more about the name than the rose.
- Amelia: Her references were impeccable, Barbara. She did all the biggest parties last year. You know the Polo Club Christmas Party? The big Charity Bazaar? Just seemed so nice too. Not the sort of person who'd just run off and leave you in the lurch while she goes somewhere to have appendicitis.
- Amelia: Has my daughter-in-law explained the situation?
- Monica: Yes, I understand that you're hosting a very large function here.
- Amelia: Functions, my dear, are held at church basements. This is an event.
- Monica: You know, I've been here two weeks and all I've had to do is to order the perfect chairs, the perfect flowers, the perfect napkins...
- Tess: Patience is a virtue. Virtue is a grace. Put them all together and they make a happy face.
- Monica: Tess, what am I doing here? The Founders Banquet is in two days. Once it's over, then what?
- Tess: I think that's what everybody in this house is asking themselves. The people in this place have nothing to look forward to except the next big party or the next disappointment. Maybe something less than their idea of perfect is exactly what this house needs.
- [Manny takes stethoscope and puts it to his chest]
- Manny: Whoa!
- Harrison: That's your heart, Manny.
- Manny: It goes by itself? I don't even think about it.
- Harrison: Yeah, it's called an involuntary muscle. You don't have to tell it when to go.
- Manny: What tells it to stop?
- Harrison: Um... I don't know. I guess God.
- Manny: God told my mom's heart to stop when I was a kid?
- Harrison: Sometimes hearts just get tired, Manny.
- Manny: My heart gets tired every time I think about my mom.
- [When Monica confronts Manny]
- Monica: God loves you, Luis. And he has heard your prayer. You know, the one you say at night before you ask Him to give your mother a kiss.
- Manny: Dios. He listens to me.
- Monica: Now you have to do your part. You must tell the Archibalds the truth. God will take care of you. I promise He will.
- Tess: Snobs aren't born. They're created.
- Monica: Don't be afraid. I'm an angel.
- Harrison: W-what does He have to say? God.
- Monica: Well... [Listens] He says: "Big deal." So your name isn't Harrison Theobridge Archibald the IVth. Big deal. God loves you and He knows who you are no matter what your name is.
- Harrison: I've been living my life as a lie.
- Monica: Why? Would you have done anything different if your name had been Rohass? Would you have been any less of a person? Would you have loved Barbara less? Harrison, who you are is not your name or your family. Who you are is more essential than that. It comes from God. And what you make of yourself? That's what you give back to God.
- Harrison: Maybe God knows who I am but...
- Monica: I have something for you. [Shows him a photo he took with his mother, wife and Luis] This is a family. Not people who share a name or a lineage or a background. But people who belong together because they love each other.
- [Looking at an old family portrait]
- Barbara: I've never really liked that picture of the Colonel.
- Amelia: That's too bad because I got such a good deal on him at the garage sale.
Fear Not [1.9]
- [In front of a painted glass window at the top of a small church]
- Tess: People have been painting pictures and writing songs and making movies about Heaven and all ever since they could breathe. [Chuckles] They never come close.
- [Monica performs a small miracle while they both watch the people going in. They observe a little girl going in singing]
- Monica: Now, Serena's music. That comes pretty close to the real thing.
- Tess: Yeah, she and Johann Sebastian have a lot in common. You give them a little glimpse of Heaven and they're off and singing. But some people, you can put Heaven right smack in front of 'em and they still can't see anything to sing about.
- Tess: There was Balthasar, there was Melchior and there was Gaspar. And the shepherds were just cowering right about here.
- Edna: [Annoyed] Is this from your imagination or from memory?
- Tess: Honey, you'd be surprised what I can remember.
- Monica: It's hard sometimes, Tess. Knowing the what but not always knowing the why. Knowing more than human beings and less than God.
- Tess: When life keeps you in the dark, baby, that's when you start looking at the stars.
- Deacon: You can't give children everything they want, Harry.
- Harry: That's right. I can't give her everything she wants. I can't give her a healthy heart. I can't give her another year to live. I can't even give her another month. But I can give her Christmas.
- [After a horrible singing rehearsal]
- Harry: How'd it sound to you out there?
- Monica: Stunning. Truly joyful noise unto the Lord.
- Joey: You're gonna take him up and FLY like an angel!
- [About Wayne's retarded brother, Joey]
- Monica: Joey's my friend.
- Wayne: Joey's everybody's friend. Trouble is he's nobody's responsibility except mine.
- Monica: Responsibility is a privilege. You've been entrusted with a beautiful soul who loves you, who's loyal to you, who'll never hurt you. Why won't you love Joey?
- Wayne: You're talking to the wrong man. I've got no faith left.
- Monica: You help Joey find his and I promise you you'll find yours.
- Wayne: [Talking about Serena to Joey] She's been a lot better friend to you than I have. She never tried to change you.
- Joey: Hey, Wayne, guess what?
- Wayne: What?
- Joey: You love me.
There, But For The Grace Of God [1.10]
- [Discussing a homeless man]
- Monica: So am I going to work in a shelter or counsel homeless people?
- Tess: None of the above.
- Monica: Then how am I supposed to help?
- Tess: Well, baby, the only way to share this man's pain is to share his pain.
- [Pete finds a pair of shoes still in decent condition]
- Pete: My lucky day. In a manner of speaking.
- Monica: Are they going to fit?
- Pete: Size 10. Close enough.
- Monica: He's going to be fine. He's got a job, he's got a good head on his shoulders, he's got a plan to move on. I think he's going to make it.
- Tess: Is that Monica the angel saying that? Or is that Monica I'm-cold-I'm-hungry-give-me-back-my-coat saying that?
- Monica: What did I do wrong?
- Tess: You took the easy way out. Just like everybody takes the easy way out. You found a reason not to get involved... This man, Pete, he's a fighter. But he's been hit too many times. One blow after another, too hard and too fast and the next blow could put him down and keep him down. And pride is not gonna help that. Not his and not yours.
- Sophie: You know what the temperature is?
- Monica: No.
- Sophie: 43 degrees. If you don't know how cold it is, you don't know how cold to be,
- [At a community shelter]
- Sophie: I recognize everyone here. They're regulars. We're like one big family.
- Monica: A big family where no one speaks to each other.
- Zack: Sounds like my family.
- Zack: [About his experiences as a Marine] Nothing that happens in basic training prepares you for what war is really like, you know. We saw some bad stuff, really bad stuff. One day, you're eating sand and breathing gas and watching yourself kill people you never even met. And then the next day, you're sitting at home reading about yourself in Time magazine eating a Big Mac. It's too weird.
- Sophie: There, but for the grace of God, go I.
- Pete: You're dreaming the wrong kind of dreams, man.
- Zack: What's that supposed to mean?
- Pete: You can't waste your time dreaming about the past. You gotta stick to dreaming about the future.
- Zack: But being a Marine was the one thing I did best. I belonged to something. That's who I was.
- Pete: And what are you now?
- Zack: I don't know.
- Pete: I know. You're a guy who can't even think about next week because you're busy just trying to get through today. But thinking like that, that's what's gonna keep you on the streets. You gotta have a dream bigger than where you're gonna sleep tonight.
- [About Monica's experience as a homeless person]
- Tess: What'd you ask Him for just now? Did you ask Him for food? Did you ask Him to make you warmer?
- Monica: I asked to be remembered. I needed to know that I still mattered..
- Monica: I don't know why these things have happened to you but it's not because of anything you've done. And I have to confess that... You see, there was somewhere deep inside my heart that I thought maybe you... maybe you had done something to get here. I'm sorry. Please forgive me. It matters.
- Pete: I forgive you. [Monica changes back into her angelic form] My God....
- Monica: God loves you, Peter Jacob Taylor. I have failed you but He will not. He wants you to know that He is going to take you and Julie all the way to Colorado. He will walk with you all the way. But it's up to you to take the first step.
- [About Sophie's husband's abusive behaviour]
- Sophie: You never know what direction it's coming from, sometimes from the underpass, sometimes from the grassy knoll, sometimes they just push you out the window.
The Hero [1.11]
- Tess: Did you ever hear the story about the man who was afraid of the lions? Well, he was so scared he ran and he ran and he ran and he kept looking behind to see if a lion was catching up to him. And he looked over his shoulder so much, he didn't see where he was going. And one day, guess what he ran smack dab into?
- Monica: A lion.
- Tess: Any boy that studies that much is looking for answers that he cannot find in a book.
- Monica: So quiet and well-behaved. But there's something else too. A sadness.
- Tess: He's so caught up in what his father wants him to be that he hasn't had to time to find out who he really is.
- Monica: His father is so proud of him.
- Tess: Honey, there is nothing more dangerous than a man taking pride in the wrong thing.
- Monica: Matthew needs you to forgive him and he needs to know you love him not because he's the best but because he's your son.
- Monica: Secrets are such dangerous things. The closer you hold onto them, the farther away you push everyone else away to keep them safe.
- Monica: Funny, isn't it? Sometimes you have to be silent to communicate.
- Tess: Now don't you go getting all emotional on me. You can't go around crying over every job.
- Monica: [Taking tissues with a broken voice] You're a fine one to talk.
- Tess: Save one for me.
Interview With An Angel [2.1]
- Monica: [Pulling something out of her bag] This is a metaphor.
- Tess: That is an artichoke.
- Monica: I bought it in a market down there in the street and the little man said that it has a heart inside that is so fragile and so delicious, it's worth all the trouble to get to it.
- Tess: What have I told you about taking human form and then starting on the food?
- Tess: Well, I know a lot of people who don't believe in angels but I've never met a soul that didn't want to believe in them.
- Callie: Let me guess. You've had some sort of angel experience.
- Monica: Well, I am an angel experience.
- Callie: [Starting the interview] All right. Full name and where do you live?
- Monica: Monica. Everywhere.
- Callie: Let's get the ground rules down. I'm looking for facts. I need solid proof here like... wings. You got any wings you carry around here or something?
- Monica: I don't think you're ready for those. Anyway, this is not about proof. This is about faith.
- Callie: Faith doesn't sell. I need evidence. Something the readers can see.
- Monica: Faith is the evidence of things unseen.
- Monica: Saving lives has its merits but saving souls and futures and families, that's something else altogether. I think I've really found my niche.
- Henry: Monica. Just when things start getting predictable, voila.
- Monica: Voila? That's all you learned after a century in France?
- Henry: Well, that and a glass of red wine a day keeps the Angel of Death away.... for a while.
- Joe: Weird world, huh? What are the odds of this happening?
- Monica: The laws of probability never seem to matter when it happens to you.
- Joe: I have been a prisoner of probability.
- Monica: Chance disappears when you make a decision.
- Tess: It seems he wanted to talk to you.
- Lisa: He hasn't wanted to talk to me for a long time.
- Tess: Well, somebody should start saying something. That door swings both ways, you know.
- Lisa: You want to blame me, you want me to blame you, you want to blame him, you don't care who you blame just so long as you don't have to blame yourself! Well, I've forgiven him! And I've forgiven you and me and God and basketball and snow and everybody else that I blamed. And it's slow but I'm starting to get my life back. And I'm going to, with or without you.
- Joe: You can honestly look me in the eye and tell me that you've forgiven that monster?
- Lisa: If I don't, I'll die too.
- Monica: Andy wrote something on the back of his [organ] donor card. "Take what you need and carry on. I know I plan to." They say he was a wonderful person. Do you ever wonder why some people must die so that others can live? Or why enemies live and innocent die?
- Joe: All the time.
- Monica: Perhaps it's because we're not supposed to know.
- Joe: Never a good reason for death.
- Monica: You don't know that until you die. All I'm saying is how can you judge something fairly when you don't even know what the rules are? You can't play God, Joe, because you aren't God.
- [Monica's first time as a cop]
- Monica: Range?
- Tess: Shooting range.
- Monica: Beretta?
- Tess: Your gun.
- Cueball: [Eyeing Tess] I'm just trying to figure out which flower you remind me of.
- Tess: Snapdragon.
Zach: (to Tess over radio) We need backup, Sycamore and A Street. Tess: A as in "angel?" Cueball: You can be my angel. Tess: Back off, I'm working here!
- Monica: Coffee? Donuts? I could get used to this job.
- Monica: I just want to shake him, make him see what he's doing to himself.
- Tess: It's not gonna happen 'til he hits bottom.
- Monica: Why do I have to wait?
- Tess: Hitting bottom's the only thing to bring him to his knees.
- Monica: Shouldn't we be out looking for trouble?
- Zack: Don't worry. It'll find us.
- Monica: He'll be fine once he goes through withdrawal, won't he?
- Tess: Well, it's not always that easy. Getting rid of the pills doesn't get rid of the problem.
- Tess: [Noticing a photo in his wallet] Who's that?
- Cueball: My wife. We're separated.
- Tess: Well, maybe you wouldn't be if you tried your lines on her instead.
- Cueball: What are you saying?
- Tess: Do you love her?
- Cueball: 'Course I love her.
- Tess: When was the last time you showed her you love her? [Silence] Mm-hmm. Just what I thought.
- Zack: I was in a hospital bed for a month. I was at home recuperating for five. And at first, I used the pills just to kill the physical pain. But as it got closer to me getting back to my job, I used them to kill the fear, d'you understand? Because the only thing I thought about was that bullet coming at me and the only thing that makes it disappear are the pills.
- Monica: But now there's hardly anything left but the pills. Or anyone. You've pushed away everyone you love to protect a secret that you hate.
- Monica: This bullet ripped through your body and your body survived. But your spirit is still bleeding. And that's because you weren't wearing your armour. There's only one thing in this world that's truly bulletproof and that's faith. Not faith in a gun that shoots or a radio that works or even faith in your own cop's instinct but the faith that you wrap yourself in every day of your life. The faith that no matter what happens, you won't lose God's love and all the bullets in the world can't pierce it and all the pills in the world can't replace it.
- Zack: I'm really scared. I'm scared to live like this. I can't do that.
- Monica: But God loves you, Zack. And with God on your side, what is there to fear? Nothing.
- Tess: The simplest things are the hardest to say.
- Monica: Like "I'm sorry". Like "I didn't mean to hurt you". Like "I love you". Like "We're gonna get through this somehow".
- Tess: Like "Don't hog the bread"!
Sympathy For The Devil [2.3]
- Kathleen: [reading a boy's palm] Ah...you're standing in front of something very big, very scary. But you're Daniel the brave, very courageous. And you destroy it.
- Daniel: What is it?
- Kathleen: Something that moves in the night. In the shadows.
- Daniel: Oh, that! My dad fixed that years ago. He put a night light by my bed. I don't even need it anymore. It's for babies. [whispers] Maybe you should practice a little more.
- Monica: So I guess it's true.
- Kathleen: Truth, I'm finding, is relative.
- Monica: Or you just make it that way.
- Kathleen: Why don't you stop by sometime, Booth #1? We can have tea, catch up. Angel to angel.
- Monica: You're not an angel anymore. You know what you are.
- Ty: Hate is like water in a dry river bed. The further it runs, the deeper further it digs in.
- Kathleen: That old man's ticker is gonna give out any day now. Wouldn't it be a shame if somebody keeps them apart until they just run out of time? Too late, too bad. Bye, Dad! [Laughs] Think of the possibilities.
- Monica: You better think about me getting in your way every step you take. Because that's not a possibility. That's a fact.
(Kathleen has hijacked Monica's horse)
- Monica: Kathleen! Get off of my horse!
- Kathleen: Possessive, aren't we? And we used to share everything.
- Monica: Why did you do it, Kathleen? Why did you leave us?
- Kathleen: I got an offer I couldn't refuse.
- Monica: There was no better offer than the one you already had.
- Kathleen: Oh, the old party line. Haven't you ever once wondered what it's like on this side?
- Monica: NO.
- Kathleen: Well, we're winning, Monica. And I like being on the winning team.
- Monica: It only looks that way, Kathleen. You fight the war one battle at a time.
- Monica: One question. If your father lied to you, and you're lying to your son, when does it stop?
- [Seeing Kathleen's sexy outfit]
- Monica: Do you think if I dressed like that, I'd be more successful?
- Tess: Absolutely. I'm just afraid to think what you'd be successful at.
- Monica: It's hard to forget about a friend. But it's dangerous to forget about an enemy.
- Monica: I don't know when it started, maybe generations ago. But you've been caught on this family cycle of escape and hate. One father's anger fueling the rebellion of his son only to cause the next son to rebel and on it goes and it has to stop! It has to stop tonight because the next son to be angry with his father will be Daniel.... You owe your son an apology.
- Ty: Yes, ma'am. I know. I've been trying.
- Monica: And I have a message for you. God loves you, Matt. You can never change what Ty has done but you can change tonight. You can change what you do to hold on to this pain.
- Matt: Forgive and forget.
- Monica: Forgiveness won't change him but it will change you. And I think that's what He wants for you.
- Matt: It's gonna take some time.
- Monica: Maybe you don't have much time. We don't always know when it's too late until it's too late.
- Monica: There is no tomorrow for you, I'm afraid, Mr. Duncan. This is your last night with your son.
- Ty: What?
- Monica: It's nothing to fear, believe me. But it is something to prepare for.
- Ty: You say there is no tomorrow. But there is tonight, yes?
- Monica: Yes.
- Matt: I'll see you in the morning.
- Ty: You bet. It's gonna be a beauty.
(Monica catches up to Kathleen one more time).
- Monica: There are so many people in the world who have never seen what you and I have seen, but they believe anyway. But you--you have seen Him! And still you walked away! I don't understand. Don't you miss us?
- Kathleen: What if I did? I've made my choice. Besides, I'm having too much fun.
The Driver [2.4]
- Monica: Why do they do it, Tess? They invent clocks and then they become slaves to them. They make up little jobs and then they become prisoners to them. They build all sorts of roads going nowhere and they spend all their time going up and down and back and forth and sometimes I could just shake them!!.... In a nice way, of course.
- Tess: Well, the problem with most driven people is they make the mistake of thinking they're doing the driving. That's how accidents happen.
- Monica: Is anything ever really an accident, Tess?
- Tess: What difference does it make? You're gonna have to handle it when it happens.
- Debra: Welcome to Q-News. We've got more questions than answers but, hey, we try.
- Cameraman: Shouldn't that be "Like my mother always says..."?
- Debra: "As" is grammatically correct.
- Cameraman: Nobody says that.
- Debra: My mother does.
- Leo: Welcome to God's Country.
- Monica: Well, I suppose it started out that way.
- Leo: Don't get me wrong. Anybody who wants a career should go for it. But when it's over, I'd rather end up with a gold watch and a hand to hold instead of just a gold watch.
- Tess: How about you, honey? Blood banks can always use extra.
- Monica: I don't know that I can give blood.
- Tess: Oh, I bet you can. I bet your blood is purer than the driven snow.
- Debra: [Mother]'d say things like "You won't get the blue ribbon for running half the race" or "You're a waste of space if you're not in first place." But somehow she really had a way of inspiring me to be my best.
- Monica: Your best or hers?
- Monica: You may not realize it but the night you tried to take your own life, you actually succeeded.
- Debra: I didn't die.
- Monica: No, but the best part of you did. The part of you that's human, that's Debra. And all that remained was the part that couldn't let anything less than perfect survive....You have the right to be less than perfect.
- Debra: I can't do it right all the time!
- Monica: I know that. God knows that. How can He blame you for being human when He made you human?
- Debra: God really loves me.
- Monica: Yes, and there's not a thing you can do about it.
- Henry: That was an unconditional compliment. Can't you just take it?
Angels On The Air [2.5]
- [Listening to a CD at a CD store]
- Monica: What is it I'm listening to?
- Tess: [Looks at the cover] The group's called Amphibians The Moist Screwdriver. And it's a love song.
- Monica: People listen to this voluntarily?
- Tess: Monica, one generation never understands the music of the following generation.
- [Interviewing Monica on the air]
- Sandy: What I need is, oh, someone to arrange my personal appearances, file my fan mail, organize the book I'm writing, maybe a little light dusting. Just your general all-round slave. Are you up for that?
- [On the air]
- Sandy: Well, Tess, you are a big woman, aren't you, my dear?
- Tess: Well, I have a big heart and it needs room.
- Sandy: Hey, it's got it and then some.
- Tess: Well, I guess yours doesn't. That's why you're such a bony little thing, huh?
- Monica: A field trip! How lovely! I've seen a lot of beautiful fields.
- Sandy: You're grounded for two weeks.
- Claire: What?
- Sandy: One week for fighting and one week for lying to me.
- Claire: That means I miss the prom. The only senior prom I'll ever go to, EVER.
- Sandy: Okay. You're grounded except to go to the prom.
- Claire: Then how am I going to buy my dress.
- Sandy: Fine. You're grounded except to buy your dress and go to the prom.
- Claire: No one's even asked me to go yet.
- Sandy: What are we talking about?
- Claire: [Exasperated] Mom!
- Sandy: [Equally exasperated] Claire!
- Monica: Er... Excuse me, but I think in order for Claire to be asked to the prom, she has to be somewhere where there are boys.
- Claire: Yeah. That's right.
- Sandy: Okay. You're grounded AFTER the prom.
- Sandy: Good morning, Tess. Nice outfit.
- Tess: That's what she says now. On the air, it'll be a sack of potatoes.
- [On the air]
- Tess: How was your prom?
- Sandy: Oh, please! I didn't go. Proms are pretentious, they are expensive, they are overrated...
- Tess: Oh, nobody asked you, huh?
- Claire: I don't know what I'm doing here. It just hurt so bad I had to do something. I wanted to make her hurt as much as I did.
- Monica: And you succeeded. But do you feel any better now? [Claire shakes her head] Claire, bad things are always going to happen in this life and people will hurt you but you can't use that as an excuse to fail or hurt someone in return because you just hurt yourself. God loves you. And He loves your mother. And it hurts to see both of you in so much pain.
- Claire: Both of us?
- Monica: Your mother has been hurting for a long time. And she's been trying so hard to provide for you and protect you that she's... she's pushed her own pain aside. Yes, she has to learn to understand what you're feeling. But you have to try and understand what she needs as well.
- Claire: I never thought of her as being in pain before.
- Monica: The day comes in every daughter's life when she sees her mother not as a mother but as another woman with a heart that can be broken. This is that day for you.
- Tess: The night your husband left you for the younger, thinner, firmer, blonder, I think Debbie was her name? You stood in your room and you made a vow to God. You said: "I'm never gonna let anybody hurt me anymore. I'm going to be strong. I just won't feel anything and they're never gonna see me cry, I swear to God." You have to be careful what you swear to God because He hears you and I'm here to tell you that feeling something is exactly what you need to do.
- Sandy: I don't believe in God.
- Tess: Well, too bad because He believes in you.
- [When they finish their assignment]
- Tess: Everybody dancing to the same music in there now?
- Monica: Yes.
In The Name Of God [2.6]
- [Monica tunes the radio to a rock station and Tess promptly switches it off]
- Monica: (sighs) Variety is the spice of life.
- Tess: Evil thrives when good men do nothing.
- Monica: Who said that?
- Tess: A music lover.
- Monica: So... my assignment is just a little bit of paperwork, huh?
- Tess: Oh, it's an "Angel walk in, angel lend a helping hand, angel walk out." It's a "Who's that mysterious stranger?" thing. It's a piece of cake.
- [As they look at a wall filled with racist graffiti on a house they're visiting]
- Tess: The world is full of people who don't want to get involved. That's how trash like this can happen.
- [About opening an AIDS hospice in a prejudiced community]
- Monica: Aren't you afraid about all this?
- Dr. Joanne: Of course I am but I only have two choices: quit or keep going, and I'm not gonna quit so that leaves keep going.
- Sam: Tess walked into a room controlled by evil. Evil so powerful it can make you fight against it on its own terms, disarm you with your own hate.
- Monica: I can't imagine hating anyone.
- Sam: Neither could Tess.
- Jerry: Please. Don't ask me. I don't want to get involved.
- Monica: And you think that will keep you safe? Whoever set that bomb is going to burn the house down. Just in case the wind changes, I hope the flames next door remember that you don't want to get involved.
- Jerry: Now wait a minute! I'm not a bad person. It's just that...
- Monica: Evil thrives when good men do nothing.
- [Tess singing in No Man's Land]
- I know there are lights burning brighter somewhere
- I know there are birds flying higher in the sky more blue
- If a man can dream of a better land while all his brothers walk hand in hand
- Lord, tell me why, oh, why, oh, why,
- Why can't their dream come true?
- I know there's peace and understanding sometime
- Strong winds that will blow away the doubt and fear
- If a man can dream of a warmer sun when hope keeps shining on everyone
- Tell me why, oh, Lord, please tell me why
- Why won't that sun appear?
- Man is lost in a cloud
- And there's just too much rain
- Man is trapped in a world
- That is troubled with pain
- But as long as a man has the strength enough to dream
- He can redeem his soul
- He can redeem his soul and fly
- But deep in my heart, Father, I have this trembling question
- Still I am sure that the answer's gonna come somehow
- Because out there in dark, there's always Your beckoning candle
- And while a man can think, while he can talk
- While he can stand, while he can walk
- While he can dream, feeling his dream
- Lord, Lord, let it come true
- Let the man's dream come true right now
- Sam: If you can't find the love in you, let God love through you.
- Sam: First lesson: don't wait for evil to come to you.
- Sam: (instructing Jerry on backing the angels up) Now, we're going down that road to face the devil himself. If it turns into a battle, we can save your life, but your soul is up to you.
- Tess: God did give you the gift of leadership. But this...this creature perverted it. He took your pain and loneliness and he taught you to control instead of lead. He stole your gift and he stole your life. That's what Satan does.
- Monica: [When meeting the devil] I thought he'd be more scary, you know. Fire and brimstone? Horns?
- Sam: Mostly it's a lot of bells and whistles and lights. He trades heavily on his reputation and let people like Tim here do the real work.
- Tess: And take the rap.
- Jerry: Yeah.
- Monica: So, Tim, let me get this straight. He used your fear and your pain and your hate and talked you into killing somebody? So then where does he get his power from, huh?.... Ah! I guess he gets it from you.
- Tess: That darn free will.
- Satan: God screwed up. Free will is a curse.
- Tess: Free will is a gift. And love is a choice. And hate leaves you no choice but you've got a choice here, Tim. Monica and Sam and I just have the power to reveal him to you. But you can make him go away. He can't stay any longer than you let him. God loves you, Tim. And He wants you back.
- Megan: Remember when ma decided to cook for Thanksgiving and she put cayenne pepper on the turkey instead of paprika? And she told us to be thankful we still have mouths left?
- [Monica tries to join in the singing and they stop]
- Monica: Why did you stop? It sounded lovely.
- Tess: Well... Parts of it did.
- [Monica's "poem"]
- Roses are red
- Angels are gossamer
- Hold on to your souls
- And make sure you floss some more.
- Tess: Floss some more?! FLOSS SOME MORE?!!! That's not a poem, that's a prescription!
- [When Megan tells Sam she has AIDS]
- Megan: Sam, say something, please.
- Sam: I don't know what to say.
- Megan: It's okay. Nobody ever does.
- Megan: Sam, look, I appreciate everything you're trying to do but if you wanna do something for me, be my friend.
- Sam: I'm not trying to do anything. And I am your friend. But a friend can't be there for you the way a husband can. And I will love you and I will care for you...
- Megan: ...'til death do we part.
- Sam: That's the vow I wanna make.
- Tess: War, famine, plagues have wiped out entire civilizations but love has never been wiped out.
- Tess: I could yell the words of God until the cows come home but you wouldn't hear. Not until you let go of your fear.
- Clarice: I want to save them.
- Tess: Precious, there's nothing you can do but love them.
- Tess: There's nothing more dangerous than loving. Unless it's not loving. He didn't say it was gonna be easy. But He says it's surely gonna be worthwhile.
- Megan: Let me just ask you one thing. Why? Why did He do this to me? Why did I do to deserve this?
- Monica: Nothing. Megan, you've done nothing. This is not a punishment. God hasn't done this to you. God didn't set this journey in motion. He's just as angry as you are that you have to walk this road. But He promises you this, Megan. He will walk this road with you and He will be there for you when you reach the end of it. God loves you... The love has always been there for you. All any of you needed was the courage to hold onto it.
- [Clarice's poem to Megan and Sam]
- We unaccustomed to courage
- Exiles of delight
- Live coiled in shells of loneliness
- Until love leaves its high holy temple
- And comes into our sight
- To liberate us into life
- Love arrives
- And in its train come ecstacies
- Old memories of pleasure
- Ancient histories of pain
- Yet if we are bold
- Love strikes away the chains of fear from our souls
- We are weaned from timidity
- In the flush of love's light
- We dare be brave
- And suddenly we see
- That love costs all that we are
- And all that we hope to be
- Yet it is only love which sets us free
Operation Smile [2.8]
- Monica: [Holding a toad] I think this is one of the ugliest things I've ever seen.
- Tess: Well, I suppose he is if that's all you're looking at.
- Monica: He?
- Tess: Yeah, that's Jerome. He's got a name and a heart and warts. I guess the warts are all you can see.
- Monica: This isn't one of those "Walk a mile in her shoes" things, is it?
- Tess: Try stilettos.
- Tess: I wish you hadn't brought that boy in here. He was not in the plan. No, sir!
- Monica: Maybe the plan should change.
- Tess: Well, who do you think you are, Ms. Wings? The last time I looked, I didn't see any bumper stickers that says "Smile, 'cause Monica loves you".
- Monica: How can anybody expect me to stand aside while Emily needs help and her mother won't give it to her? I think the reason I'm here is for Emily and not for Ginger.
- Tess: Dangerous waters, baby. Just because you don't like the horse is no excuse to start changing ponies midstream.
- Monica: [praying] The truth is I don't like Ginger. I hate what she's doing to her child. I don't understand it. I don't know how to get through to her. She makes me so angry that I'm afraid of what I'll say to her next so I end up not saying anything at all. I'm sorry. Really, I am sorry but I don't know what to say anymore without telling her the truth... [Realizes] And the truth shall set her free.
- Monica: (to Ginger) I am sorry...but to twist your superstitions and your fables into a life sentence for that little child--THAT MAKES ME VERY ANGRY!
- Tess (scolding Al): Well then, Mr. Light Fingers, you go over there and tell those kids they're not getting to Nashville. And you make sure that little girl understands real good that she's not getting her face fixed.
- Tess: God raised this balloon. And He's able to raise your standards... All you have to do is get in and hold on.
- Monica: There are great mysteries in this world that we don't understand, Ginger. Only God does. But this I do understand. That no mistake you have ever made is bigger than God's power to fix it.
- Emily: Mama, I'm gonna have an operation.
- Tess: Your problem is that you get too emotionally involved in your cases... Which is one of the things I love most about ya.
- Monica: You are so beautiful, Emily. But never forget you always were.
The Big Bang [2.9]
- [Monica waits in line at the bank with a hundred dollar note]
- Tess: I hate to pry but what are you doing in here, Ms. Wings?
- Monica: I'm returning this.
- Tess: Benjy never wore his hair like that.
- Monica: Oh...I thought I'd put it on the lost and found.
- Tess: Angel, baby, you are so cute when you are naive.
- Tess: Watch yourself. People get so strange when it comes to money. I don't know why they put so much faith in that little piece of paper.
- Monica: It's because they can smell it, touch it and hold it in their hands.
- Tess: That's not faith. That's just smelling, touching, holding something.
- Tess: Don't worry about you can't do it or why you can't do it, baby. God can use you in there. Don't escape from it. Deal with it.
Unidentified Female [2.10]
The Feather [2.11]
The One That Got Away [2.12]
Til We Meet Again [2.13]
Rock 'N' Roll Dad [2.14]
Andrew: (on Tess' taste in music) She's been a little bit cranky ever since the death of swing.
Indigo Angel [2.15]
- Anybody ever sing the yellows or the greens?
- Monica, in response to Tess's explanation of the blues
- Now there're gonna be hard times — war, money problems, and something called disco.
- Tess, encouraging Sam
Jacob's Ladder [2.16]
- You don't know what you're dealing with here. I could break you like THAT!
- Monica, on psychotrophic drugs
Out Of Darkness [2.17]
Lost And Found [2.18]
Dear God [2.19]
- Monica: (About Max) That tattoo on his arm — was he in a concentration camp?
- Tess: Auschwitz. He was six.
- Monica: I volunteered to go there, but I never got assigned. I wish I had.
- Tess: No, you don't. (pats her shoulder)
- Monica: (tearful after hearing one of Tanya's letters) Is that why you're here? Is that why Tanya could see you, because she's going to die?
- Andrew: I don't know that. I do know it's gonna be complicated.
- Monica: Complicated? What could be more simple? There's someone out there hurting a child and I can save her!
- Monica (after being told to stay with Max): But Tess! Who will be there for Tanya?
- Tess: Who do you think?
Portrait Of Mrs. Campbell [2.20]
The Quality Of Mercy [2.21]
Flesh And Blood [2.22]
Tess: "You know a lot of people think its the imperfections that make things beautiful."
Statute Of Limitations [2.24]
Promised Land [3.1]
A Joyful Noise [3.2]
- Of course! She hears angels!
Random Acts [3.3]
Sins Of The Father [3.4]
- You stole my car! You stole it and then you killed it! Will you look at this? The Angel of Death done killed my car!
- Tess, on seeing the disreputable state of her car
Written In Dust [3.5]
Secret Service [3.6]
The Sky Is Falling [3.8]
- Crud Bars, Gummy Gophers, and Sugar-Coated Yuck-Yucks. Whatever happened to candy corn?
- Tess, on Halloween candy
- I HATE Halloween! How's the Angel of Death supposed to compete with this kind of propaganda? I mean, this starts when they are kids, and by the time they're adults, they really think death is something scary.
Something Blue [3.9]
Into The Light [3.10]
- Andrew: James, if every good deed was a step to Heaven, you'd never reach high enough.
Tess (about James): But he's about to learn a very important lesson.
Monica: There's no use trying to sweet-talk Tess, hmmm?
Monica: (uncovering one of James's lies) You don't have a sister. And Molly, I believe, was your dog.
Amy Ann: Please Tess, can I have my record back?
Tess: No. Do you want your jelly doughnut back?
Monica: Tess, she needs her Elvis.
Tess: What she needs is to remember there are people on this floor who need rest and not "Blue Suede Shoes."
Homecoming Pt. 1' [3.11]
- Chuck: Okay. What are you drinking?
Andrew: Orange Juice.
- Monica: Tess, Julia is gone.
Tess: Well, that's to be expected.
Monica: But she was just getting strong. Why would she run away?
Tess: Good question. Go find the answer, and get rid of these biscuits. Coffee in biscuits — ain't never heard of no coffee in no biscuits!
The Journalist [3.12]
The Violin Lesson [3.13]
- Nothing made by God is queer. God loves all His creations.
Forget Me Not [3.14]
Crisis Of Faith [3.16]
Angel Of Death [3.17]
- Now I'm "Andy," the Agent of Death. Listen, one week with that guy? I wish he'd fire me.
Clipped Wings [3.18]
- I've been so afraid of letting God down, I forgot about His mercy.
- Try a water process decaf.
- Angel of Angels about Monica's coffee addiction
Amazing Grace Pt. 1 [3.19]
Amazing Grace Pt. 2 [3.20]
Labor Of Love [3.21]
Have You Seen Me? [3.22]
Last Call [3.23]
Missing In Action [3.24]
At Risk [3.23]
Full Moon [3.24]
An Angel By Any Other Name [3.25]
Inherit The Wind [3.26]
- Master Kevin, last night, someone carved the words "This party is da bomb" on the baby grand piano.