Quotes about lying historians and scribes:
- "How can you say, 'We are wise, And the law of the LORD is with us'? But behold, the lying pen of the scribes Has made it into a lie.
― Jeremiah 8:8
- Historians, it is said, fall into one of three categories:
Those who lie. Those who are mistaken. Those who do not know. ― Anonymous
- “Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.”
― George Macaulay Trevelyan
- “The repeated lies become history, but they don't necessarily become the truth.”
― Colum McCann
- The writing of history reflects the interests, predilections, and even prejudices of a given generation.
― John Hope Franklin
- “History is a set of lies agreed upon.”
- “History is written by the winners.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
- “History is written by the victors.”
― Winston Churchill
- History, in the end, is only another kind of story, and stories are different from the truth.
― Paul Murray,
- “Historian: an unsuccessful novelist.”
― H.L. Mencken
- History consists of a series of accumulated imaginative inventions.
- The historian amputates reality.
- Gaetano Salvemini
- “Half of writing history is hiding the truth”
― Joss Whedon
- "history is always a one-sided account.”
― Dan Brown
- No opinion can be trusted; even the facts may be nothing but a printer's error.
― W. C. Williams
- No historian should be trusted implicitly.
G. Kitson Clark
- I often think it odd that it [history] should be so dull, for a great
deal of it must be invention. ― Catherine Morland
- a historian (or a journalist, or anyone telling a story) was forced to choose, out of an infinite number of facts, what to present, what to omit. And that decision inevitably would reflect, whether consciously or not, the interests of the historian.”
― Howard Zinn,
- "history demonstrates that when people don't want to believe something, they have enormous skills of ignoring it altogether.”
― Jim Butcher
- “History is gossip that's been legitimized, and that's really the case when you get into some of the Roman historians. Wow! They'd be right at home on reality tv.”
― Esther M. Friesner
- People are trapped in history, and history is trapped in them.
- Not all that is presented to us as history has really happened; and what really happened did not actually happen the way it is presented to us; moreover, what really happened is only a small part of all that happened. Everything in history remains uncertain, the largest events as well as the smallest occurrence.
- [History is] not factual at all, but a series of accepted judgments.
- “One cannot and must not try to erase the past merely because it does not fit the present.”
― Golda Meir
- “Do you really believe ... that everything historians tell us... is actually true? You ought to consider the fact that these histories have been written by men, who never tell the truth except by accident.”
― Moderata Fonte
- The historians repeat one another.
― Max Beerbohm
- Imagination plays too important a role in the writing of history, and, What is imagination...? but the projection of the author's personality?.
― Pieter Geyl
- Everyone falsifies history even if it is only his own personal history. Sometimes the falsification is deliberate, sometimes unconscious
― Joseph Freeman
- Historians are to be read with moderation and kindness, and it is to be remembered that they can not be in all circumstances
― Cotton Mather
- Tradition usually rests upon something which men did know; history is often the manufacture of the mere liar.
- [I]f one has an exaggerated view of the past, then one is obviously going to have a diminished view of the present.
- History has to be rewritten because history is the selection of those threads of causes or antecedents that we are interested in.
― O. W. Holmes, Jr.
- History is the distillation of rumour.
― Thomas Carlyle “All interpretations of history are propaganda for one idea or another.” ― Selma Dabbagh History is the invention of historians. Attributed to Napoleon History has a way of censoring contemporary values. Anonymous The past in the hands of historians is not what it was. Lynn White, Jr.
- “If cats could write history, their history would be mostly about cats.”
― Eugen Weber History is not history unless it is the truth. Abraham Lincoln We have had to learn that history is neither a God nor a redeemer. Reinhold Niebuhr History may defeat the Christ but it nevertheless points to him as the law of life. Reinhold Niebuhr
"No one can be saved in virtue of what he can do. Everyone can be saved in virtue of what God can do." ~ Karl Barth
"Five years ago faith came to me; I believed in the doctrine of Jesus, and all my life suddenly changed. I ceased to desire that which previously I desired, and, on the other hand, I took to desiring what I had never desired before. That which formerly used to appear good in my eyes appeared evil, that which used to appear evil appeared good." ~ Leo Tolstoi
"I will no longer worry or fret about issues that do not worry my Savior". ~ David Wilkerson