"I am not a comic, I have never told a joke...The comedian's promise is that he will go out there and make you laugh with him...My only promise is that I will try to entertain you as best I can....They say, 'Oh wow, Andy Kaufman, he's a really funny guy.' But I'm not trying to be funny. I just want to play with their heads."
- —Kaufman explaining his act
"T'ank you veddy much."
- —Eye spelling of the catchphrase from Kaufman's character Foreign Man, later adapted into Latka Gravas on Taxi
Quotations about Kaufman
- Now, Andy did you hear about this one?
- Tell me, are you locked in the punch?
- Andy are you goofing on Elvis? Hey, baby
- Are we losing touch?
- ...Are you having fun?
- I'm tossing up punchlines that were never there...
- I'm breaking through
- I'm bending spoons
- I'm keeping flowers in full bloom
- I'm looking for answers from the great beyond
- —Lyrics from the 1999 R.E.M. song "The Great Beyond", written for the soundtrack to the film Man on the Moon