- To ask for help or to talk with another editor, visit our Village pump.
- To browse Wikiquote, take a look at our browsing start page.
- To sign with a date, write four tildes (~~~~) and save.
- Before creating new articles, consult our guide. You may practice how to edit a page at Sandbox.
- Be bold.
Nicholas Aranda article
It may seem somewhat perverse to be telling you this after posting a welcome message, but I'm afraid your "Nicholas Aranda" article has been deleted per Wikiquote guidelines. I'd like to explain how this happened, in the hopes that this initial unfortunate start won't prevent you from participating in this project.
- First, Wikiquote is a compendium of quotes from notable sources, i.e., those whose quotations tend to come from published sources. It is not, as many newcomers believe, a place for everyone to add their own quotes.
- However, all users are welcome to add their own quotes (along with information about themselves or their interests) on their user pages. If you happen to be Nicholas Aranda himself, your quotes can be added to User:Naranda7. (I can recover them for you if you desire, so you won't have to type them in again.)
- When an article is nominated for deletion, it announces to the community that someone believes the article is not appropriate for Wikiquote, based on its guidelines. When the article is about a person, it usually means that the nominator suspects it to be a "vanity" page, which is a quote page from the editor rather than a famous person with published quotes. This is why we ask for "evidence of notability", like publications, broadcast or cinematic sources, etc. If such information is added, it will typically be verified. For example, your temporary addition of "Preface to Paradise Lost" made me consider that you might be quoting John Milton, so I checked and found no preface in the Project Gutenberg copy of PL.
- While an article is under consideration for deletion, it is against policy to remove the VfD (vote for deletion) tag from the article. It doesn't change the review process (except possibly to bias other editors against the tag remover), but it does prevent other readers of the article from noticing that it is under review for deletion. We've had several articles whose deletion was prevented because their readers saw that VfD announcement and decided to register their opinions and work to save the article. (Veronica Mars was an excellent example. Not only did several editors provide sourceable quotes, but we eventually got a new administrator from their number.)
- Finally, the oddly-timed welcome message I posted is in part a means to provide newcomers with useful links to information about Wikiquote. Unfortunately, we don't have the large numbers of maintenance editors that Wikipedia has, so new editors sometimes don't get this helpful message in a timely fashion. I feel that we might have done better by you if we'd posted this message earlier on your talk page.
I hope that you may find Wikiquote an interesting place to read and edit, despite this negative experience. Feel free to post any questions or comments you may have to my talk page. Thank you for your understanding and patience. ~ Jeff Q (talk) 14:55, 18 February 2006 (UTC)