Vagrant Story (ベイグラントストーリー Beiguranto Sutorii) is a unique action RPG released for the PlayStation in 2000. The game, designed and distributed by Square Co., Ltd., features a focus on weapon modification and creation.
Ashley Riot 
- Reinforcements? I am the reinforcements.
- Ashley Riot in the prologue.
- Most men complacently accept ‘knowledge’ as ‘truth.’ They are sheep, ruled by fear. But you are different. Always calm, detached. A smooth flow of thought into action. Indeed…It is almost as if…As if you had no soul. How do you do it? Body and soul are one…yet; yours are separated, like a child from the knight in his storybook.
- Warping the minds of men and shepherding the masses has always been your church's domain. You lure sheep with empty miracles and a dead god.
- Yet mark your savior well, for he is one of the demons that you so fear.
- In my dreams, I see an evil tyrant’s hands, which would choke the world. And he is the only one blind to his own folly.
- You have seen demons walk the city streets, heard the cries of the dead and damned. You deny these things? Are they illusions?
- A tyrant always dies alone, Guildenstern. Surrounded by silver-tongued leeches, he is utterly alone. He sows sorrow and reaps death.
- The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men.
- Quoted from A.J. Durai
- Mullenkamp is a pack of rogues hiding behind a priest's frock!
- In the very, very beginning there is a scene showing a meeting between Ashley and several VKP members. One of the officers says this.
- All because of this religious freedom! Too much freedom, too many gods. Let those cultist cur-dogs run loose, and they will bite you. Gods! While our Parliament cowers...
- VKP Officer.
- The only shield I see is the one coverin' your eyes.
- In the Wine Cellars, there are two knights, Sackheim and Goodwin, inspecting a door locked by a sigil and a floating cloudstone. This quote is from their conversation.
- The cold ones will not walk under the sun, but soon night will fall.
- As Ashley tries to find his way around the town, he comes upon a detachment of soldiers guarding the streets. The captain and soldiers have a small conversation in which this quote is said.
- An incomplete death's more than a VKP butcher deserves!
- Father Duane, shortly before being killed by Ashley.
- Y-Your cause...There is no...place for me...for our dreams..
- Samantha, sacrificed by Guildenstern to complete his transformation.
- The world does not want a savior.
- Guildenstern, confronting Sydney.
- All that was needed was fodder, and THEY would come to feed.
- As Ashley is entering the Snowfly Forest, Rosencrantz catches up to him and provides a chilling insight as to the plot of the story.
- Now the slowest dance begins, partner! ...'Tis a fine tomb we shall share!
- Tieger at the end.
- Ashley Riot: Rosencrantz, was it? Your words bear much meaning.
- Jan Rosencrantz: Please, my friend! I speak only the truth.
- Ashley Riot: Yet, you have no evidence.
- Jan Rosencrantz: For that, you must search.
- Ashley Riot: [turns to walk away] I will cut you, next we meet. Leave the city before sundown if you value your life.
- Commander Grissom: Where did he go?
- Jan Rosencrantz: Through the wood, he says. You will follow him?
- Commander Grissom: I must avenge the foul murder of my brother, Duane.
- Jan Rosencrantz: Of course you must. But be wary, your foe is strong.
- Commander Grissom: God is stronger.
- Müllenkamp Cultist: You fools think the Dark will bend to you?
- Commander Grissom: We are prelates of the Lord, scum. We are not here to bend aught, we are come to cleanse.
- Callo Merlose: [discussing Sydney's intentions] It is sad...
- John Hardin: What is?
- Callo Merlose: Even if he can see the past and clasp the truth, how are we to know if he speaks it? If he can push us to believe anything, how do we tell truth from falsehood?
- John Hardin: Why single him out? Everyone lies, surely you know that. Whether they are Dark sorcerers or corrupt clergy, they all lie, and we believe. Am I wrong?
- Grissom: Please, a moment. My body is not... cooperating.
- [he sees Ashley]
- Grissom: Y-you!
- Tieger: I am sorry, Brother. We cannot help you now.
- Grissom: What... what is happening?
- Neesa: Grissom, you have left this coil. The Dark has filled you; you have joined the cold ones!
- Grissom: [begins to tremble] An ironic fate. I suppose it is better than the endless wand'ring... but to happen upon your own corpse!
- [Grissom then falls to his knees, buries his head in his hands. He screams.]
- A Voice: Kill... Kill them all.
- Grissom: Wh-who speaks?
- A Voice: It is bitter...lonely... They must join us... Kill them!
- Grissom: The walls! The walls speak?
- A Voice: Your friends, they dream of killing you. They would steal your body! Kill! Kill them, Grissom!
- [at that, Neesa and Tieger move towards Grissom, weapons drawn]
- Grissom: My flesh... is mine, and mine alone!
- [Grissom suddenly leaps over their heads and runs out the door]
- Neesa: [running after him]
- Neesa: Grissom!
- [Ashley tenses as Teiger decides whether to deal with him or run after his brother, but then follows Neesa out of the Undercity. Ashley relaxes.]
- Romeo Guildenstern: The Dark is formless and invisible. It invades the body like a plague, an unseen visitor. Yet those it taints become... undying.
- Commander Samantha: "Undying?"
- Romeo Guildenstern: Yes. They do not die.
- Commander Samantha: But... he did die. Turned to dust. Leaving no trace. Did he not?
- Romeo Guildenstern: What is death? Is it the ruination of the flesh? Surely, that is death, but it is only one facet of the truth. True death... is the death of the soul.
- Commander Samantha: And theirs is not a true death?
- Romeo Guildenstern: Even should their flesh crumble to decay, their souls will wander eternally. The undying of Leá Monde do die. But, it is... an incomplete death.
- Ashley Riot: [listening from afar] "An incomplete death"...
- Romeo Guildenstern: Trapped in purgation, they yearn for life. Thus, they seek bodies without souls. And the "corpses that walk" are born. They say the howl of the north wind is the cry of the wandering souls.