Vanilla Sky is a 2001 film about a wealthy playboy whose life takes a sudden turn for the bizarre, when he finds his face disfigured and was arrested for murder. But looks can be deceiving. Based on the 1997 film Abre los ojos.
- Directed by Cameron Crowe. Written by Alejandro Amenábar and Mateo Gil (Abre Los Ojos); screenplay by Cameron Crowe.
- Isn’t that what being young is about, believing secretly that you would be the one person in the history of man that would live forever?
- My dreams are a cruel joke. They taunt me. Even in my dreams, I'm an idiot who knows he's about to wake up to reality. If I could only avoid sleep. But I can't. I try to tell myself what to dream. I try to dream that I am flying. Something free. It never works...
- That smile's gonna be the end of me.
- One kiss
- The little things... there's nothing bigger, is there?
- Good. Because for a minute there I thought we were talking about A FUCKING MASK!!
- I lost you when I got in that car. I'm sorry.
- I remember. Somebody died. It was me.
- Look at us. I'm frozen, and you're dead. And I love you.
- Doc, once you've been driven off a bridge at 80 miles an hour, somehow you don't invite happiness in without a full body search.
- These? These are more than headaches. These are steel plates slicing through my every thought.
- I wanna wake up! Tech support! It's a nightmare! Tech support! Tech support!
- I want to live a real life... I don't want to dream any longer.
- You're not blind. You're drinking Jack Daniels, and when you drink Jack, you start in with that... Frank Sinatra, she shot me down, give me a cigarette, "King of Sad" thing.
- A new form of me began to take shape. I planned my reemergence, like the Normandy invasion. (Sofia, Sofia...) I'll just say it - I did my homework. I read every memo. Thomas Tipp was right: People will read again.
- You keep the relationship casual, until the absolute breaking point. And then one evening or afternoon or morning, it could be months from now. Well, you know how it works
- I don't care if God calls, I'm very, very busy.
- I am a pleasure delayer.
- I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.
- I think she's the saddest girl ever to hold a martini.
- I'll tell you in another life, when we are both cats.
- Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.
- But I just think good things will happen, if you are a good person with a good attitude, don't you think?
- Holy God. This is going to change my life in a zillion different ways. I must be nuts.
- I meant that to be your forehead.
- Come here... I want to tell you a secret.
- I'll find you again.
- You can do whatever you want with your life, but one day you'll know what love truly is. It's the sour and the sweet. And I know sour, which allows me to appreciate the sweet.
- You will never know the exquisite pain of the guy who goes home alone.
- My own death was in front of me, and you know what happened? Your life flashed before my eyes.
- Because I am Frank, and Frank must go. I good you bid evening.
- Don't you know that when you sleep with someone, your body makes a promise whether you do or not!
- What's happiness to you, David?
- We had sex four times. Four times! I swallowed your cum, it means something!
- Happiness to me, is being here with you!
- Its been a brilliant journey of self-awakening, now you simply have to ask yourself this... What is happiness to you David?
- Most of us live our whole lives without having an adventure to call our own. What is any life without the pursuit of a dream?
- [David is knocked fiercely over the head with frying pan. He wakes up later. He is puzzled by the presence of Julie.]
- David: Who are you?
- Julie: I'm Sofia.
- David: You are not Sofia.
- Julie: I'm Sofia.
- David: Whatever.
- David:: I wasn't hitting on Sofia.
- Brian:: Oh, fine. Whatever you say. I'm crazy. I'm blind.
- David:: You're not blind, you're drinking Jack Daniels, and when you drink Jack you start in with that, "Frank Sinatra, she shot me down, give me a cigarette, King of Sad" thing.
- Brian:: That I do. Give me a cigarette.
- David:: I'll find one.
- Brian:: But wait. You're rich and women love you, and I'm from Ohio and I'm drunk. Can I tell you the truth?
- David:: Everybody does.
- Brian:: I dig her. And I've never said this to you before about any girl, but she could be - could be, could be, could be - the girl of my fucking dreams.
- David:: You're not from Ohio.
- Brian:: I know. But if she fucks up our friendship, she can go to hell. I won't allow it. We are bros.
- David:: I feel the same way.
- Brian:: Sure you do.
- David: How 'bout if you help me, unless I'm horning in here.
- Sofia: You are, but the food's good.
- David: See, I've got this little problem. I've got a stalker.
- Sofia: It doesn't sound life-threatening.
- David: But I need a cover. I need for you to pretend we're having a scintillating conversation, and you are wildly entertained. I know it's tough.
- Sofia: I'll improvise.
- David: She's across the room and burning a hole in my back now, isn't she?
- Sofia: Red dress, strappy shoes? Wow. She's really staring at you.
- David: Shit.
- Sofia: And she seems to be growing.. less happy. I think she's the saddest girl to ever hold a martini.
- Open Your Eyes
- Looks Can Be Deceiving!
- Forget everything you know about life, and just open your eyes…
- This is a revolution of the mind
- When did the dream become a nightmare?
- Tom Cruise — David Aames
- Penélope Cruz — Sofia Serrano
- Cameron Diaz — Julianna "Julie" Gianni
- Jason Lee — Brian Shelby
- Kurt Russell — Dr. Curtis McCabe
|This film article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|