- There's no excuse to be bored. Sad, yes. Angry, yes. Depressed, yes. Crazy, yes. But there's no excuse for boredom, ever.
- Quoted by Alex Kuczynski, Vanity Fair, "Finding Viggo" (January 1, 2004)
- You have a moral obligation to finish the job you said you would do.
- Quoted by Allison Glock, GQ, "Twenty-one Reasons to Dig Viggo Mortensen" (November 1, 2003)
- Adapt and overcome.
- Described as being written at his mirror, on additional DVD materials for "Lord Of The Rings: Fellowship Of The Ring".
- A lot of people can forget about you in Los Angeles.
- On why more American actors don't take roles in foreign-language films as he does, The New York Times, "Bilingualism Steps Into a Leading Role" (March 31, 2013)
- It is all one thing, there are different ways of expressing yourself.
- You don't have to make something that people call art. Living is an artistic activity, there is an art to getting through the day.
- I agree with the Native American author Black Elk who said that "any man who is attached to things of this world is one who lives in ignorance and is being consumed by the snakes of his own passions."