|This article needs to conform to our limits on quotations policy.
The subject of this article is a television show, and as a result, there should only be: one quote for less than 30 minutes, two quotes for 30 minute shows, and five quotes for 60 minute shows (see our TV policy for shows of other lengths).
If you would like to add another quote to the page, you may first need to remove one that is already there in order to keep within the bounds of fair use of copyright material.
The War Doctor, portrayed by English actor John Hurt, is a designation of an incarnation of the Doctor, the protagonist of the BBC science fiction television programme Doctor Who. This incarnation does not use the name "The Doctor", as the Eighth Doctor, facing death, chose to regenerate as a "Warrior" to fight in the Time Wars. Although in the show's fictional chronology he precedes the Ninth Doctor (portrayed by Christopher Eccleston), his first onscreen appearance came eight years after Eccleston's; the War Doctor was retroactively created by showrunner Steven Moffat for productions celebrating the show's 50th anniversary in 2013.
- No more.
- Graffiti left as writing on a wall, in The Day of the Doctor (23 November 2013)
- I hope the ears are a bit less conspicuous this time.
- Great men are forged in fire. It is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame.
- When talking to The Moment, disputing his title as The Doctor in The Day of the Doctor (23 November 2013)
The Name of the Doctor [7.14]
- (18 May 2013)
- The War Doctor: What I did, I did without choice.
- The Doctor: I know.
- The War Doctor: In the name of peace and sanity.
- The Doctor: But not in the name of the Doctor!
- (23 November 2013)
- [The War Doctor deciding whether to destroy Gallifrey or not]
- The War Doctor: I have no desire to survive this.
- The Moment: Then that's your punishment. If you do this, if you kill them all, then that's the consequence. You... live. Gallifrey... you're going to burn it... and all those Daleks with it, but all those children too. How many children on Gallifrey right now?
- The War Doctor: I don't know.
- The Moment: One day, you will count them. One terrible night.
- The War Doctor: Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?
- The Eleventh Doctor: [waves hands] Yes. No. [turns back to the guards] I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately with my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad.
- The War Doctor: Grandad?!
- The Tenth Doctor: They're not sandshoes!
- The War Doctor: Yes, they are!
- The Moment: You've seen the men you will become.
- The War Doctor: Those men. Extraordinary.
- The Moment: They were you.
- The War Doctor: No. They are the Doctor.
- The Moment: You're the Doctor, too.
- The War Doctor: No. Great men are forged in fire. It is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame. Whatever the cost.
- The Moment: You know the sound the TARDIS makes? That wheezing, groaning. That sound brings hope wherever it goes.
- The War Doctor: Yes... yes, I like to think it does.
- The Moment: To anyone who hears it, Doctor. Anyone. However lost. [The TARDIS sound begins.] Even you.
- The War Doctor: Well, gentlemen, it has been a honour and a privilege.
- The Tenth Doctor: Likewise.
- The Eleventh Doctor: [pointedly] Doctor.
- The War Doctor: And if I grow to be half the man that you are, [turns to Clara] Clara Oswald, I shall be happy indeed.
- Clara:: That's right. Aim high.
- The War Doctor: I won't remember this, will I?
- The Eleventh Doctor: The time streams are out of sync. You can't retain it, no.
- The War Doctor: So I won't remember that I tried to save Gallifrey, rather than burn it. And I have to live with that. [His mood brightens slightly.] But for now, for this moment...I am the Doctor again. Thank you.
Quotes about The War Doctor
- [As the Doctor hugs Clara, he notices a man in the distance, his back turned to the pair of them. The Doctor's expression turns to one of horror. Clara turns around to see the man.]
- Clara: Who's that?
- The Doctor: Never mind. Let's go back.
- Clara: But who is he?
- The Doctor: He's me. There's only me here. That's the point. Now let's get back.
- Clara: But I never saw that one. I saw all of you. Eleven faces, all of them you! You're the eleventh Doctor!
- The Doctor: I said he was me. I never said he was the Doctor.
- Clara: I don't understand.
- The Doctor: My name, my real name - that is not the point. The name I chose is the Doctor. The name you choose, is like... it's like a promise you make. He's the one who broke the promise.
- [Clara collapses from exhaustion]
- The Doctor: Clara? Clara! Clara!
- [The Doctor catches her and picks her up]
- The Doctor: He is my secret.
The initial appearance and description of the War Doctor in The Name of the Doctor.
- The Tenth Doctor: All those years, burying you in my memory.
- The Eleventh Doctor: Pretending you didn't exist. Keeping you a secret, even from myself.
- The Tenth Doctor: Pretending you weren't the Doctor, when you were the Doctor more than anybody else.
- The Eleventh Doctor: You were the Doctor on the day it wasn't possible to get it right.
Doctors Ten and Eleven, confronting the War Doctor just before he plans to destroy the Daleks and Gallifrey in The Day of the Doctor.
- The Eleventh Doctor: Are we forgetting Captain Grumpy? I didn't call myself the Doctor during the Time War, but it was still a regeneration.
The Eleventh Doctor, reviewing his regeneration history with Clara in The Time of the Doctor.