While You Were Sleeping
While You Were Sleeping is a 1995 romantic comedy film directed by Jon Turteltaub and written by Daniel G. Sullivan and Frederic Lebow. It stars Sandra Bullock as a Chicago railroad clerk and Bill Pullman as the brother of a man whose life she saves.
- Do you believe in love at first sight? Nah, I betcha don't, you're probably too sensible for that. Or have you ever, like, seen somebody? And you knew that, if only that person really knew you, they would, well, they would of course dump the perfect model that they were with, and realize that you were the one that they wanted to, just, grow old with. Have you ever fallen in love with someone you haven't even talked to? Have you ever been so alone you spend the night confusing a man in a coma?
- He would get these far-off looks in his eyes and he would say "Life doesn't always turn out the way you plan." I just wish I'd realized at the time, he was talking about my life.
- Peter once asked me when I fell in love with Jack. And I told him, "It was while you were sleeping."
- Peter: I'm making a clean start with Lucy. She is — She is — She... What is she? She's...
- Jack: I'd say that she gets under your skin as soon as you meet her. She drives you so nuts you don't know whether to hug her or, or just really arm wrestle her. She would go all the way to Europe just to get a stamp in her passport. I don't know if that amounts to insanity, or just being really, really... likable.
- Peter: No, that's not it. [Jack looks annoyed] But she's gotta be really special. She's gotta be. And I can spend the rest of my life finding out why.
- Saul: I couldn't love you any more if you were my own son. But the fact of the matter is, you're... well you're a putz.
- Peter: Is there a point to this?
- Lucy: You give up your seat every day in the train.
- Peter: Well... But that's not heroic.
- Lucy: It is to the person who sits in it.
- Jack: You suck!
- Peter: I suck, or the outfit sucks?
- Jack: It's a toss-up.
- Lucy: The truth was that I fell in love with you.
- Ox Callahan: You fell in love with me?
- Lucy: No, N-o, yes. All of you. I went from being all alone to being a fiancee, a daughter, a granddaughter, a sister, and a friend.