Wikiquote talk:Quote of the day/June
As guidelines for the placing of quotations for any day of the month I would suggest that proposals ideally would be some highly notable statement and...
- related to the anniversary of some famous person's birth, or occasionally their historical death date, or other date of celebration relating to them, if their birth dates were unknown, OR...
- related to the anniversary celebrations of some historical event, or well known national, international, or cultural holidays; these could include reference to such natural "marking points" of the year as the solstices and equinoxes, as well as various cultural holidays that are often associated with them. These could also be quotes referring to a particular month or season, usually on the first day of such. OR...
- related to prominent current events, especially where some famous person dies, or says something notable related to some prominent issue. These of course are the least anticipatable of the proposals, and they should probably be pretty notable to merit placement over the more regular historical ideas that may have been suggested.
Names of notable people whose birthdays are on a particular day, could also be added to specific dates, but of course final voting should be upon specific quotations to use, not specific people to quote without regard as to some specific statement. Also a limit of 4 quotes of any individual per user should be maintained, and there should be some statable rationale for adding them to any particular day. We certainly should not permit a flood of dozens of proposals quoting a single person upon any incidental days to become anyone's habit.
A voting or ranking system I initially considered which I still think appropriate would be one where registered users could rank proposals they wish to comment on as either:
- 4 : Excellent - should definitely be used. (Perhaps, at most, only one quote per day should be ranked thus by any user, as to avoid confusions)
- 3 : Very Good - strong desire to see it used
- 2 : Good - some desire to see it used.
- 1 : Acceptable - but with no particular desire to see it used
- 0 : Not acceptable - not appropriate for use as a quote of the day.
As is the case with other votes in the Wikimedia projects, votes by anonymous IPs should not be counted, and the use of "sock puppets" for voting should be rejected as absolutely unethical.
If there are definite preferences that clearly emerge, these can be placed in the "Quote of the day" slots 3-4 days ahead of time, but I continue to believe allowances should always be made for sudden changes for the sake of current events, though ideally any such changes that occur should be made at least a few hours before the new day begins at 00:00 UTC, to allow for comment. ~ Kalki 18:44, 14 Jun 2005 (UTC)
- Is it time to open up the Wikiquote:Quote of the day/July votes yet? ~ MosheZadka (Talk) 08:21, 23 Jun 2005 (UTC)
- I'd say about 5 days before the month starts would be fine AllanHainey 14:15, 23 Jun 2005 (UTC)