(Redirected from AIDS prevention)
AIDS or Aids, Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome or Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, is a collection of symptoms and infections in humans resulting from the specific damage to the immune system caused by the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).
- In the end one cannot avoid the conclusion that AIDS unites certain human themes — homosexuality, sexual disease, and death — about which society actively resists enlightenment. These are things that we are unwilling to address or even think about. We don't want to understand them. We would rather fear them.
- Martin Amis, "Making Sense of AIDS" (1985), in The Moronic Inferno and Other Visits to America (1986)
- As individual and unpredictable as this illness seems to be, the one thing I found I could say with certainty was this: AIDS makes things more intensely what they already are.
- Mark Doty Heaven’s Cost
- On December 22,1986, finding I was body positive, I set myself a target: I would disclose my secret and survive Margaret Thatcher. I did. Now I have set my sights on the millennium and a world where we are all equal.
- Derek Jarman At Your Own Risk
- There are many who wish to believe that premarital sex causes venereal diseases, that homosexuality causes AIDS... This is simply not true; infectious diseases are caused by infectious agents.
- P. Skrabanek, "Preventive Medicine and Morality," Lancet 1 (8473)(1986): 143.
- All that is required of us, in our "new sexual ethic," is that we have sex in a way that favours us more than it favours our diseases.
- Richard Summerbell, Body Politic, June 1983 (reported in Ann Silversides, AIDS activist: Michael Lynch and the Politics of Community (2003), p. 32)
- It is possible to have a generation without HIV/AIDS - we are the ones to make it possible.
- Graça Machel, wife of former South African leader Nelson Mandela
- And the danger is - and it's happening - is we're seeing an incredibly big rise amongst young gay people, young heterosexual people as far as catching HIV, which is, you know, in an educated country like this or in Britain, it's frightening.
- Elton John
- It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance.
- Elizabeth Taylor
- AIDS obliges people to think of sex as having, possibly, the direst consequences: suicide. Or murder.
- Susan Sontag
|This theme article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|