(Redirected from Angelic)Jump to navigation Jump to search
- "Angel" redirects here, see Angel (1999 TV series) for the television show.
- Sections for quotes alphabetized by author or work
- A · B · C · D · E · F · G · H · I · J · K · L · M · N · O · P · Q · R · S · T · U · V · W · X · Y · Z · External links
- Why don't we make love 'stead of makin' plans
Mother Nature, Father Time, maybe its the Family Man
Angels cry when they hear that tune
It's sleepless nights for the man in the moon
And its the rhythm of life, mind's made up.
- So when an angel by divine command
With rising tempests shakes a guilty land,
Such as of late o'er pale Britannia past,
Calm and serene he drives the furious blast;
And, pleas'd th' Almighty's orders to perform,
Rides in the whirlwind, and directs the storm.
- I have a dream, a song to sing,
To help me cope with anything.
If you see the wonder of a fairy tale
You can take the future even if you fail.
I believe in angels, something good in everything I see.
I believe in angels, when I know the time is right for me,
I'll cross the stream,
I have a dream.
- The people who walk angelically according to their free will and practice discipline in the life of the angels remove themselves completely from the desires of the flesh, beloved brothers; they die daily in the life that belongs to earth, but they live in the life of the angels, just as they share in the life of the Lord.
- [Athanasius of Alexandria]] “The advanced life of virtue,” Athanasius and the Politics of Asceticism (1995), p. 314
- An angel can illuminate the thought and mind of man by strengthening the power of vision, and by bringing within his reach some truth which the angel himself contemplates.
- St Thomas Aquinas, as quoted in Angels : A Joyous Celebration (1999) by Running Press, p. 121.
- The Lord will command his angels to take good care of you. They will lift you up in their hands. Then you won't trip over a stone.
- O white-robed Angel, guide my timorous hand to write as on a lofty rock with iron pen the words of truth, that all who pass may read.
- William Blake, "Samson", Poetical Sketches (1783).
- I heard an Angel singing
When the day was springing:
"Mercy, Pity, and Peace
Are the world's release."
- William Blake, "The Two Songs".
- A tear is an intellectual thing,
And a sigh is the Sword of an Angel King.
- William Blake, "The Agony of Faith".
- It is not because angels are holier than men or devils that makes them angels, but because they do not expect holiness from one another, but from God alone.
- William Blake, "A Vision of the Last Judgement".
- The player is a liar when he says : "Angels are happier than men, because they are better." Angels are happier than men and devils, because they are not always prying after good and evil in one another, and eating the tree of knowledge for Satan's gratification.
- William Blake, "A Vision of the Last Judgement".
- Hey if God will send his angels
And if God will send a sign
And if God will send his angels
Would everything be alright?
- If God will send his angels
I sure could use them here right now
Well if God would send his angels
And I don't have to know how.
- Bono, "If God Will Send His Angels" on Pop (1997); also used in City of Angels (1998).
- Angels and Demons can't cross over into our plane. So, instead we get what I call half-breeds. The influence peddlers. They can only whisper in our ears. A single word can give you courage, or turn your favorite pleasure into your worst nightmare. Those with the demon's touch and those part angel, living alongside us. They call it the balance. I call it hypocritical bullshit.
- As the moths around a taper,
As the bees around a rose,
As the gnats around a vapour,
So the spirits group and close
Round about a holy childhood, as if drinking its repose.
- Elizabeth Barrett Browning, A Child Asleep.
- We are not this story's author, who fills time and eternity with his purpose. Yet his purpose is achieved in our duty; and our duty is fulfilled in service to one another. Never tiring, never yielding, never finishing, we renew that purpose today: to make our country more just and generous; to affirm the dignity of our lives and every life. This work continues. This story goes on. And an angel still rides in the whirlwind and directs this storm.
- When you reach for a star
Only angels are there
And it's not very far
Just a step on a stair…
- I don't mind if it's dangerous
I don't mind if it's raining
Take me up to the top of the city
And put me up on the angel's shoulders.
- Gabriel before me
Raphael behind me
Michael to my right
Uriel on my left side
In the circle of fire.
- Aren't we all the same? In and out of doubt.
I can see angels standing around you.
They shimmer like mirrors in Summer.
But you don't know it.
And they will carry you o'er the walls.
If you need us, just call.
- But sad as angels for the good man's sin,
Weep to record, and blush to give it in.
- Thomas Campbell, Pleasures of Hope, Part II, line 357.
- What though my winged hours of bliss have been
Like angel visits, few and far between.
- Thomas Campbell, Pleasures of Hope, Part II, line 375.
- What is all this shit about angels? Have you heard this? Three out of four people now, believe in angels. What're you, fucking stupid? Has everybody lost their fucking minds in this country? Angels, shit. You know what I think it is? I think it's a massive collective psychotic chemical flashback of all the drugs — all the drugs — smoked, swallowed, snorted, shot, and absorbed rectally by all Americans from 1960 to 1990. Thirty years of adulterated street drugs'll get you some fucking angels, my friend.
- Music is well said to be the speech of angels.
- Thomas Carlyle, The Opera (1852).
- Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
- Flowers have spoken to me more than I can tell in written words. They are the hieroglyphics of angels, loved by all men for the beauty of the character, though few can decypher even fragments of their meaning.
- ...virginity is better than marriage, however good.... Celibacy is...an imitation of the angels. Therefore, virginity is as much more honorable than marriage, as the angel is higher than man. But why do I say angel? Christ, Himself, is the glory of virginity
- St. John Chrysostom, Homily 19 on First Corinthians, NPNF, s. 1, v. 12, pp. 248–262.
- We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.
- If a man is not rising upwards to be an angel, depend upon it, he is sinking downwards to be a devil. He cannot stop at the beast. The most savage of men are not beasts; they are worse, a great deal worse.
- When one that holds communion with the skies
Has fill'd his urn where these pure waters rise,
And once more mingles with us meaner things,
'Tis e'en as if an angel shook his wings.
- William Cowper, Charity, line 439
- And because the king saw a watcher, a holy one, coming down from heaven and saying, ‘Chop down the tree and destroy it, but leave the stump of its roots in the earth, bound with a band of iron and bronze, in the tender grass of the field, and let him be wet with the dew of heaven, and let his portion be with the beasts of the field, till seven periods of time pass over him,’ this is the interpretation, O king: It is a decree of the Most High, which has come upon my lord the king, that you shall be driven from among men, and your dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field. You shall be made to eat grass like an ox, and you shall be wet with the dew of heaven, and seven periods of time shall pass over you, till you know that the Most High rules the kingdom of men and gives it to whom he will.
- Daniel 4:23-25
- For he will give his angels a command concerning you, To guard you in all your ways.
- I am as light as a feather, I am as happy as an angel, I am as merry as a school-boy. I am as giddy as a drunken man. A merry Christmas to every-body! A happy New Year to all the world!
- It was the beginning of a day in June; the deep blue sky unsullied by a cloud, and teeming with brilliant light. The streets were, as yet, nearly free from passengers, the houses and shops were closed, and the healthy air of morning fell like breath from angels, on the sleeping town.
- The shadows of our own desires stand between us and our better angels, and thus their brightness is eclipsed.
- President Barack Obama loves to quote the lyrical closing lines of Abraham Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, calling on "the better angels of our nature" to overcome partisan hatreds and political divisions. Obama cited those words in his own inaugural proclamation and rested his hand on Lincoln's Bible when he took the oath of office. He has come back to those angels again and again ever since. … He used the phrase to eulogize Ted Kennedy, to chide a would-be Quran burner in Florida, and to say goodbye to chief of staff Rahm Emanuel. Obama, it seems, sees better angels just about everywhere. Even as he traveled in India this week he talked about his efforts to live up to the example of Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr., and, yes, Abraham Lincoln.
But in light of today's real-world politics, Obama should think a little harder about the context in which Lincoln summoned those better angels on March 4, 1861. Led by South Carolina (now home to Sen. Jim DeMint, seven of 33 states had already seceded from the Union to form the Confederacy at that point. … If, in the end, Lincoln did manage to hold the Union together, it was not because of the better angels of human nature, but because he finally found the killer angels among his generals who could, and did, and at enormous cost, crush the secessionists.
- Lincoln had an ally then of a kind that Obama could use now. Lincoln's old rival from Illinois, Stephen Douglas, whose party had been split by the fire-eaters and whom Lincoln defeated at the polls, became a wise and vital friend. In the months between the inauguration and Douglas's early death in June 1861, the "little giant," as he was known, spent many long hours talking to Lincoln about how best to preserve the Union — and compromise wasn't part of the picture. … "You do not know the dishonest purposes of those men as I do," he told Lincoln.
What both of those great politicians understood by then was that there may be better angels in the nature of some people, but there are others who are willing to weaken, even destroy a nation to serve their own self-righteous self-interest, and they will do it in the name of the Constitution. If Obama hasn't learned that yet, perhaps it's time he did.
- Christopher Dickey, "Better Angels and Killer Angels", Newsweek (10 November 2010).
- What is the question now placed before society with the glib assurance which to me is most astonishing? That question is this: Is man an ape or an angel? I, my lord, I am on the side of the angels. I repudiate with indignation and abhorrence those new fangled theories.
- Benjamin Disraeli, speech at Oxford Diocesan Conference. Nov. 25, 1864.
- In merest prudence men should teach
* * * * * *
That science ranks as monstrous things
Two pairs of upper limbs; so wings—
E'en Angel's wings! — are fictions.
- Austin Dobson, A Fairy Tale.
- Heaven, too, was very near to them in those days. God's direct agency was to be seen in the thunder and the rainbow, the whirlwind and the lightning. To the believer, clouds of angels and confessors, and martyrs, armies of the sainted and the saved, were ever stooping over their struggling brethren upon earth, raising, encouraging, and supporting them.
- Let old Timotheus yield the prize
Or both divide the crown;
He rais'd a mortal to the skies
She drew an angel down.
- John Dryden, Alexander's Feast (1697), Last Stanza
- When God has sent his angel to me, then I know of a surety. … When God sends his angel to the soul it becomes the one who knows for sure. Not for nothing did God give the keys into St. Peter's keeping, for Peter stands for knowledge, and knowledge is the key that unlocks the door, presses forward and breaks in, to discover God as he is.
- Meister Eckhart, in Sermon 9, as translated in The Reading and Preaching of the Scriptures in the Worship of the Christian Church (1999) by Hughes Oliphant Old, Chapter 9 : The German Mystics, p. 448.
- The authorities teach that next to the first emanation, which is the Son coming out of the Father, the angels are most like God. And it may well be true, for the soul at its highest is formed like God, but an angel gives a closer idea of Him. That is all an angel is: an idea of God. For this reason the angel was sent to the soul, so that the soul might be re-formed by it, to be the divine idea by which it was first conceived. Knowledge comes through likeness. And so because the soul may know everything, it is never at rest until it comes to the original idea, in which all things are one. And there it comes to rest in God.
- Meister Eckhart, in Sermon 9, as translated in The Reading and Preaching of the Scriptures in the Worship of the Christian Church (1999) by Hughes Oliphant Old, Chapter 9 : The German Mystics, p. 449.
- The golden moments in the stream of life rush past us and we see nothing but sand; the angels come to visit us, and we only know them when they are gone.
- In old days there were angels who came and took men by the hand and led them away from the city of destruction. We see no white-winged angels now. But yet men are led away from threatening destruction: a hand is put into theirs, which leads them forth gently towards a calm and bright land, so that they look no more backward; and the hand may be a little child's.
- And these are the names of the holy angels who watch. Uriel, one of the holy angels, who is 3 over the world and over Tartarus. Raphael, one of the holy angels, who is over the spirits of men. Raguel, one of the holy angels who takes vengeance on the world of the luminaries. Michael, one of the holy angels, to wit, he that is set over the best part of mankind and over chaos. Saraqael, one of the holy angels, who is set over the spirits, who sin in the spirit. Gabriel, one of the holy angels, who is over Paradise and the serpents and the Cherubim. Remiel, one of the holy angels, whom God set over those who rise.
- Angels shine from without because their spirits are lit from within by the light of God.
- Eileen Elias Freeman, in The Angels' Little Instruction Book : Learning from God's Heavenly Messengers (1994), p. 4, ISBN 0446671215
- Angels can fly lightly because they take God seriously.
- Eileen Elias Freeman, in The Angels' Little Instruction Book : Learning from God's Heavenly Messengers (1994), p. 5.
- Angels can fly because they carry no burdens.
- Eileen Elias Freeman, in The Angels' Little Instruction Book : Learning from God's Heavenly Messengers (1994).
- Be an angel to someone else whenever you can, as a way of thanking God for the help your angel has given you.
- Eileen Elias Freeman, in The Angels' Little Instruction Book : Learning from God's Heavenly Messengers (1994).
- Pay attention to your dreams — God's angels often speak directly to our hearts when we are asleep.
- Eileen Elias Freeman in The Angels' Little Instruction Book : Learning from God's Heavenly Messengers (1994).
- Life is a tapestry: We are the warp; angels, the weft; God, the weaver. Only the Weaver sees the whole design.
- Eileen Elias Freeman in The Angels' Little Instruction Book : Learning from God's Heavenly Messengers (1994).
- Angels fly at light speed, because they are servants of the Light.
- If angels rarely appear, it's because we all too often mistake the medium for the Message.
- Insight is better than eyesight when it comes to seeing an angel.
- Angels are all around us, all the time, in the very air we breathe.
- When babies look beyond you and giggle, maybe they're seeing angels.
- How wonderful it must be to speak the language of the angels, with no words for hate and a million words for love!
- God not only sends special angels into our lives, but sometimes He even sends them back again if we forget to take notes the first time!
- A thought transfixed me: for the first time in my life I saw the truth as it is set into song by so many poets, proclaimed as the final wisdom by so many thinkers. The truth — that love is the ultimate and the highest goal to which man can aspire. Then I grasped the meaning of the greatest secret that human poetry and human thought and belief have to impart: The salvation of man is through love and in love. … For the first time in my life I was able to understand the meaning of the words, "The angels are lost in perpetual contemplation of an infinite glory."
- When men began to multiply on earth and daughters were born to them, the sons of God saw how beautiful the daughters of man were, and so they took for their wives as many of them as they chose. Then the Lord said: "My spirit shall not remain in man forever, since he is but flesh. His days shall comprise one hundred and twenty years." At that time the Nephilim appeared on earth (as well as later), after the sons of God had intercourse with the daughters of man, who bore them sons. They were the heroes of old, the men of renown.
- Genesis 6:1-4
- Angels have no back to their necks, and cannot turn their heads round.
- One angel cannot perform two duties at a time, nor are two angels sent to perform one and the same duty.
- Non Angli, sed Angeli.
Not Angles, but Angels.
- Attributed to Gregory the Great on seeing British captives for sale at Rome.
- From the east to the west sped the angels of the Dawn, from sea to sea, from mountain-top to mountain-top, scattering light with both their hands.
- Unbless'd thy hand! — if in this low disguise
Wander, perhaps, some inmate of the skies.
- Homer, Odyssey, Book XVII, line 570. Pope's translation.
- Abou Ben Adhem (may his tribe increase!)
Awoke one night from a deep dream of peace,
And saw, within the moonlight in his room,
Making it rich, and like a lily in bloom,
An Angel writing in a book of gold…
- Leigh Hunt, in "Abou Ben Adhem" (or "Abou Ben Adhem and the Angel"), in The Poetical Works of Leigh Hunt (1846).
- "If 'it is good for a man not to touch a woman', then it is bad for him to touch one, for bad, and bad only, is the opposite of good. But, if though bad, it is made venial, then it is allowed to prevent something which would be worse than bad. ... Notice the Apostle's carefulness. He does not say: 'It is good not to have a wife', but, 'It is good for a man not to touch a woman'. ... I am not expounding the law as to husbands and wives, but discussing the general question of sexual intercourse – how in comparison with chastity and virginity, the life of angels, 'It is good for a man not to touch a woman'.
- Jerome (c. 347 – 420), commenting on Paul's letter to the Corinthians, "NPNF2-06. Jerome: The Principal Works of St. Jerome". CCEL. Retrieved 7 November 2016 – via Google Books.
- At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.
- Jesus, Matthew 22:30 (NIV).
- The more devils we have within us, the more chance we have to form angels.
- On that very night the angel of Jehovah went out and struck down 185,000 men in the camp of the As·syr′i·ans. When people rose up early in the morning, they saw all the dead bodies.
- Through the dim and lonely forest
Comes a low sweet sound,
Like the whispering of angels
To the greenwood round,
Bearing through the hours of midnight,
On their viewless wings,
Music in its measure telling
High and holy things.
- Letitia Elizabeth Landon, Forget Me Not, 1839 (1838 posthumous), 'Alice Lee'
- If an angel were ever to tell us anything of his philosophy I believe many propositions would sound like 2 times 2 equals 13.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg, Aphorisms (1765-1799), Notebook B (1768-1771), B 44. This quote comes from Wikiquote's Lichtenberg Aphorisms section which was begun primarily with translations by R. J. Hollingdale, augmented by other sources, including Selected Writings of Georg C. Lichtenberg (1893) edited by Adolf Wilbrandt.
- The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.
- Silently, one by one, in the infinite meadows of heaven,
Blossomed the lovely stars, the forget-me-nots of the angels.
- If I have freedom in my love,
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such liberty.
- Richard Lovelace, Lucasta To Althea: From Prison, st. 4.(1649).
- But all God's angels come to us disguised:
Sorrow and sickness, poverty and death,
One after other lift their frowning masks,
And we behold the Seraph's face beneath,
All radiant with the glory and the calm
Of having looked upon the front of God.
- James Russell Lowell, On the Death of a Friend's Child, line 21.
- In this dim world of clouding cares,
We rarely know, till 'wildered eyes
See white wings lessening up the skies,
The Angels with us unawares.
- Gerald Massey, The Ballad of Babe Christabel.
- In the arms of the Angel
Far away from here
From this dark, cold hotel room, And the endlessness that you fear
You are pulled from the wreckage of your silent revelrie
You're in the arms of the Angel; may you find some comfort here.
- O welcome, pure-eyed Faith, white-handed Hope,
Thou hovering angel, girt with golden wings!
- For God will deign
To visit oft the dwellings of just men
Delighted, and with frequent intercourse
Thither will send his winged messengers
On errants of supernal grace.
- Millions of spiritual creatures walk the earth
Unseen, both when we wake and when we sleep.
- How sweetly did they float upon the wings
Of silence through the empty-vaulted night,
At every fall smoothing the raven down
Of darkness till it smiled!
- The helmed Cherubim,
And sworded Seraphim,
Are seen in glittering ranks with wings display'd.
- John Milton, Hymn on the Nativity, line 112.
- Death makes angels of us all
& gives us wings
where we had shoulders
smooth as raven's
- Jim Morrison, An American Prayer (1978).
- Now the two angels arrived at Sod′om by evening, and Lot was sitting in the gate of Sod′om. When Lot caught sight of them, then he got up to meet them and bowed down with his face to the earth.
- Then too when angel voices sung
The mercy of their God, and strung
Their harps to hail, with welcome sweet,
That moment watched for by all eyes.
- Thomas Moore, Loves of the Angels, Third Angel's Story
- Narrated Abu Talha:
The Prophet said, "Angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or there are pictures".
- A certain scripture mentions that humans are superior to angels. Why? Because there are people who know of evil but do not become evil. It's different from angels, who know only of good since birth. Humans have evil, but can live as good, so they are superior to angels, who know only good.
- We know the race is not to the swift nor the battle to the strong. Do you not think an angel rides in the whirlwind and directs this storm?
- Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.
- Men would be angels, angels would be gods.
- Alexander Pope, An Essay on Man (1733-34), Epistle I, line 126.
- They swear their strongest oaths by Allah, that if a (special) sign came to them, by it they would believe. Say: "Certainly (all) signs are in the power of Allah: but what will make you (Muslims) realise that (even) if (special) signs came, they will not believe"? We (too) shall turn to (confusion) their hearts and their eyes, even as they refused to believe in this in the first instance: We shall leave them in their trespasses, to wander in distraction. Even if We did send unto them angels, and the dead did speak unto them, and We gathered together all things before their very eyes, they are not the ones to believe, unless it is in Allah's plan. But most of them ignore (the truth). Likewise did We make for every Messenger an enemy,- evil ones among men and jinns, inspiring each other with flowery discourses by way of deception. If thy Lord had so planned, they would not have done it: so leave them and their inventions alone. To such (deceit) let the hearts of those incline, who have no faith in the hereafter: let them delight in it, and let them earn from it what they may.
- Quran, chapter 6: 109-113
- Or did We create the angels females, while they witnessed? Now surely it is of their own lie that they say: Allah has begotten. And truly they are liars.
- Quran, chapter 37: 150-152
- And how many angels are in the heavens, whose intercession avails naught except after Allah gives permission to whom He pleases and chooses. Surely those who believe not in the Hereafter name the angels with female names. And they have no knowledge of it. They follow but conjecture, and surely conjecture avails naught against Truth.
- Quran, chapter 53: 26-28
- A guardian angel o'er his life presiding,
Doubling his pleasures, and his cares dividing.
- Samuel Rogers, Human Life, line 353.
- Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?
Yet once more I shall die as Man, to soar
With angels blest; but even from angelhood
I must pass on: all except God doth perish.
When I have sacrificed my angel-soul,
I shall become what no mind e'er conceived.
Oh, let me not exist! for Non-existence
Proclaims in organ tones, To Him we shall return.
- Rumi, "I Died as a Mineral", as translated in The Mystics of Islam (1914) edited by Reynold Alleyne Nicholson, p. 125.
- All angel now, and little less than all,
While still a pilgrim in this world of ours.
- Walter Scott, Lord of the Isles, referring to Harriet, Duchess of Buccleugh
- Angels are bright still, though the brightest fell.
- In Heaven an angel is nobody in particular.
- Good night, sweet prince, and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!
- I charge thee, fling away ambition: by that sin fell the angels.
- How oft do they their silver bowers leave
To come to succour us that succour want!
- Edmund Spenser, The Faerie Queene (1589-96), Book II, Canto VIII, Stanza 2.
- Around our pillows golden ladders rise,
And up and down the skies,
With winged sandals shod,
The angels come, and go, the Messengers of God!
Nor, though they fade from us, do they depart—
It is the childly heart
We walk as heretofore,
Adown their shining ranks, but see them nevermore.
- R. H. Stoddard, Hymn to the Beautiful, Stanza 3.
- Sweet souls around us watch us still,
Press nearer to our side;
Into our thoughts, into our prayers,
With gentle helpings glide.
- Harriet Beecher Stowe, The Other World.
- Angels never attack, as infernal spirits do. Angels only ward off and defend.
- I saw an angel close by me, on my left side, in bodily form. This I am not accustomed to see, unless very rarely. Though I have visions of angels frequently, yet I see them only by an intellectual vision, such as I have spoken of before. It was our Lord's will that in this vision I should see the angel in this wise. He was not large, but small of stature, and most beautiful — his face burning, as if he were one of the highest angels, who seem to be all of fire: they must be those whom we call cherubim. Their names they never tell me; but I see very well that there is in heaven so great a difference between one angel and another, and between these and the others, that I cannot explain it.
- Saint Teresa of Ávila, The Life of St. Teresa of Jesus (c.1565).
- I have no angels left
Now, Sweet, to pray to:
Where you have made your shrine
They are away to.
They have struck Heaven's tent,
And gone to cover you:
Whereso you keep your state
Heaven is pitched over you.
- Francis Thompson, A Carrier Song, Stanza 4.
- There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Mafia.
- I'll help you. I'm an angel.
- How do the angels get to sleep when the devil leaves the porch light on?
- Could we forbear dispute, and practise love,
We should agree as angels do above.
- Edmund Waller, in "Of Divine Love" (c. 1686)
- Gabriel: I'm an angel. I kill firstborns while their mamas watch. I turn cities into salt. I even, when I feel like it, rip the souls from little girls, and from now till kingdom come, the only thing you can count on in your existence is never understanding why.
- Thomas Daggett: Did you ever notice how in the Bible, when ever God needed to punish someone, or make an example, or whenever God needed a killing, he sent an angel? Did you ever wonder what a creature like that must be like? A whole existence spent praising your God, but always with one wing dipped in blood. Would you ever really want to see an angel?
- Gregory Widen, The Prophecy
- Outside the open window
The morning air is all awash with angels.
- Whenever an angel says "Be not afraid!" you'd better start worrying. A big assignment is on the way.
- Elie Wiesel, as quoted in Spirituality and Liberation : Overcoming the Great Fallacy (1988) by Robert McAfee Brown, p. 136
- I know a lot of people who don't believe in angels but I've never met a soul that didn't want to believe in them.
- For all we know
Of what the Blessèd do above
Is, that they sing, and that they love.
. . .
What know we of the Blest above
But that they sing, and that they love?
- An angel's arm can't snatch me from the grave;
Legions of angels can't confine me there.
- Edward Young, Night I, l. 89 (1742-1745).