A plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV), plug-in hybrid vehicle (PHV), or plug-in hybrid is a hybrid electric vehicle which utilizes rechargeable batteries, or another energy storage device, that can be restored to full charge by connecting a plug to an external electric power source (usually a normal electric wall socket).
- While the ability for Obama, if elected, to deliver on his energy-related campaign promises remains to be seen, Tuesday night's presentations helped establish the plug-in hybrid as a mainstream American household term perhaps as a synonym for 100-mpg vehicle.
- Bradley Berman, Democrats Put Plug-In Hybrids on Main Stage Hybridcars.com (27 August 2008)
- The Chevrolet Volt has joined baseball and apple pie as an unassailable, non-partisan symbol of American can-do and know-how. General Motors won't start selling the plug-in hybrid for another 18 months (at least), but that hasn't kept it from becoming the most important political accessory since the flag lapel pin."
- Chuck Squatriglia/Keith Barry, McCain Announces His Running Mate - The Chevy Volt Wired.com, (18 July 2008)
- The plug-in hybrid is the most notable technological advancement of the past 50 years", "G.M.'s challenge is making them profitable and continuing to invent a broad range of advanced vehicles.
- David Cole, the chairman of the Center for Automotive Research in G.M. at 100: Is Its Future Electric?, The New York Times by Don Sherman, (14 September 2008)
- Felix Kramer, who has made plug-in electric cars not only his passion but an imminent American reality, was always ready to take a query from me.
- Thomas L. Friedman of The New York Times, Hot, Flat and Crowded: Why We Need a Green Revolution and How It Can Renew America, page 417, (9 September 2008)
- The drumbeat of the electrical transportation is accelerating like nothing I've ever seen in my life.
- It represents nothing less than the first step in the reinvention of the automobile.
- Possibly the most sought-after technological innovation since Captain Kirk first flipped open his communicator is the plug-in hybrid.
- Matthew L. Wald, A Plug-In Conversion for Prius, The New York Times, (27 April 2008)
- Volt is the GM's "most important model in decades -- and possibly the key to its survival.
- John D. Stoll, GM Looks for Buzz With Its Electric Volt; Auto Maker Hopes High-Mileage Car Will Repair Image, Wall Street Journal (15 September 2008)
- It's not a car for everyone, but it's the first step toward a new kind of car for everyone.