James Danforth "Dan" Quayle (born 4 February 1947) is a former United States Representative, Senator, the 44th Vice President of the United States (1989–1993), and a minor candidate for the 2000 Republican presidential nomination. After retiring from politics, he became the chairman of Cerberus Capital Management.
- Let me just tell you how thrilling it really is, and how, what a challenge it is, because in 1988 the question is whether we're going forward to tomorrow or whether we're going to go past to the back! … That's a Hoosierism. You've got to get used to that!
- Speech to California delegates to the Republican National Convention (17 August 1988)
- Bobby Knight told me this: "There is nothing that a good defense—cannot beat a better offense." In other words a good offense wins.
- Speech to the City Club of Chicago (8 September 1988)
- The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. [on followup] No, not our nation's, but in World War II. I mean, we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century, but in this century's history.
- Press conference (15 September 1988), paraphrased in Esquire (August 1992), The New Yorker (10 October 1988), p. 102
- It is not just age; it's accomplishments, it's experience. I have far more experience than many others that sought the office of vice president of this country. I have as much experience in the Congress as Jack Kennedy did when he sought the presidency. I will be prepared to deal with the people in the Bush administration, if that unfortunate event would ever occur.
- In George Bush you get experience, and with me you get the future.
- Speech in Illinois (October 1988), quoted in Cathleen Decker (1988-10-19), "Quayle, in Illinois, Says He's `the Future'" Los Angeles Times
- People that are really very weird can get into sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact on history.
- Interview with Hendrik Hertzburg (October 1988), referring to Grigori Rasputin
- We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur.
- Cited to the Cleveland Plain Dealer (27 September 1990)
- You all look like happy campers to me. Happy campers you are, happy campers you have been, and, as far as I am concerned, happy campers you will always be.
- Speech to American Samoans (April 1989)
- Hawaii has always been a very pivotal role in the Pacific. It is in the Pacific. It is a part of the United States that is an island that is right here.
- Press comment in Hawaii (25 April 1989)
- When you take the UNCF model that, what a waste it is to lose one's mind, or not to have a mind is being very wasteful, how true that is.
- Speech to the United Negro College Fund (9 May 1989), mangling the Fund's slogan "A mind is a terrible thing to waste."
- The other day [the President] said, I know you've had some rough times, and I want to do something that will show the nation what faith that I have in you, in your maturity and sense of responsibility. Would you like a puppy?
- cited to the Los Angeles Times (16 May 1989)
- I believe we are on an irreversible trend towards more freedom and democracy, but that could change.
- cited to the Wall Street Journal (26 May 1989)
- Mars is essentially in the same orbit. … Mars is somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe.
- Press comment on Mars exploration (11 August 1989), televised on CNN, and referenced in "A Quayle Vision of Mars" in The Washington Post (1 September 1989)
- This is what I say about the scorn of the media elite: I wear their scorn as a badge of honor.
- Speech to the Southern Baptist Convention in Indianapolis (9 June 1992)
- You’re close, but you left a little something off. The 'e' on the end.
- Luis Muñoz Rivera Elementary School in Trenton, New Jersey (15 June 1992), correcting student William Figueroa on his spelling of "potato."
- He went to the finest of private schools, and I am a public school graduate. Given the poor state of public schools it is obvious why everybody makes all those jokes about me.
- About Al Gore, (Newsweek, 1 September 1992)
- I believe that I've made good judgments in the past, and I think I've made good judgments in the future.
- We don't want to go back to tomorrow, we want to move forward.
- We understand the importance of having the bondage between the parent and the child.
- Video, "Who is Dan Quayle?"
- I made a misstatement and I stand by all my misstatements.
- Video, "Who is Dan Quayle?"
- The future will be better tomorrow.
- I was known as the chief graverobber of my state.
- This is where the Continental Congress met over two hundred years ago during the American Revolution. So, Lancaster was actually the capital of our nation for one day in 1977.
- I had a good political career, and I have a good business career. I didn't get the brass ring, but I did very well.
- Interview with Cathleen Decker (5 September 2008) "Before Sarah Palin, the GOP had Dan Quayle", Los Angeles Times
Commonwealth Club speech
Speech to the Commonwealth Club of California (19 May 1992)
- I have been asked who caused the riots and the killing in L. A. My answer has been direct and simple. Who is to blame for the riots? The rioters are to blame. Who is to blame for the killings? The killers are to blame. Yes, I can understand how people were shocked and outraged by the verdict in the Rodney King trial. But there is simply no excuse for the mayhem that followed.
- Our policies must be premised on, and must reinforce, values such as family, hard work, integrity and personal responsibility.
- Bearing babies irresponsibly is simply wrong. We must be unequivocal about this. It doesn't help matters when primetime TV has Murphy Brown — a character who supposedly epitomizes today's intelligent, highly paid, professional woman — mocking the importance of fathers, by bearing a child alone, and calling it just another "lifestyle choice."
Quotes about Quayle
- He's a very different man than the intellectual midget that has been portrayed in much of the media.… I think he's going to make an excellent Vice President, and I believe that he's going to be a popular Vice President just as soon as the people of this country see him as he is.
- Richard Nixon, as quoted in the New York Times (22 November 1988)
- Dan Quayle is all three! All three! Stupid, full of shit, and fucking nuts! And where did he get that wife of his? Have you taken a good look at that Marilyn Quayle? Where did he get her, at a Halloween party or something? She looks like Prince Charles, for Christ's sake!
- George Carlin, in George Carlin: Doing It Again (1990 TV Special)
- Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy.
- Senator Lloyd Bentsen, during the 1988 United States vice-presidential debate (5 October 1988)
- Dan Quayle on IMDb
- Vice Presidential Museum at the Dan Quayle Center
- VP Quayle Receives DePauw's McNaughton Medal for Public Service (26 October 1990)
- Booknotes interview with Quayle on Standing Firm (24 July 1994)
- Genealogy of the family of J. Danforth Quayle
- Ubben Lecture at DePauw University (31 March 2015)