Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a 2004 film about a couple who undergo a procedure to erase each other from their memories when their relationship turns sour, but it is only through the process of loss that they discover what they had to begin with.
- Sand is overrated. It's just tiny, little rocks.
- Why do I fall in love with every woman I see who shows me the least bit of attention?
- I'm constitutionally incapable of making eye-contact with a woman I don't know.
- She was nice. Nice is good.
- Random thoughts for Valentine's Day, 2004. Today is a holiday invented by greeting card companies. To make people feel like crap.
- This is working like gangbusters!
- Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating.
- Are we like those bored couples you feel sorry for in restaurants? Are we the dining dead?
- It's all being wiped away.
- I could die right now, I'm just … happy. I've never felt that before. I'm just exactly where I want to be.
- I loved you on this day. I love this memory.
- I ditched work today. Took a train out to Montauk. I don't know why, I'm not an impulsive person.
- Drink up, young man. It'll make the whole seduction part less repugnant.
- I'm always anxious thinking I'm not living my life to the fullest, you know? Taking advantage of every possibility? Just making sure that I'm not wasting one second of the little time I have.
- … you stop listening to what is true, and what is true is constantly changing.
- I apply my personality in a paste.
- I'm a vindictive little bitch, truth be told.
- I'm not a concept. Too many guys think I'm a concept or I complete them or I'm going to make them alive, but I'm just a fucked up girl who is looking for my own peace of mind. Don't assign me yours.
- You look familiar. Ever shop at Barnes & Noble?
- I don't need nice. I don't need myself to be it, and I don't need anybody else to be it at me.
- People don’t understand how lonely it is to be a kid.
- [Quoting Alexander Pope] "How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned."
- [Quoting Friedrich Nietzsche] "Blessed are the forgetful: for they get the better even of their blunders."
- Adults are, like, this mess of sadness and phobias.
- Clementine: Hi!
- Joel: Excuse me?
- Clementine: I just said hi.
- Joel: Oh! Hi, hello.
- Clementine: I'm Clementine … no jokes about my name.
- Joel: I don't know any jokes about your name.
- Clementine: Huckleberry Hound.
- Joel: I don't know what that is.
- Clementine: Huckleberry Hound! [singing] Oh my darling, oh my darling, oh my darling Clementine.
- Joel: I don't know what that means.
- Clementine: Are you nuts?
- Joel: It's been suggested.
- Clementine: You're not a stalker or anything, right?
- Joel: I'm not a stalker. You're the one that talked to me, remember?
- Clementine: That is the oldest trick in the stalker book.
- Joel: Really? There's a stalker book? Great, I gotta read that one.
- Clementine: Joel, I'm not a concept. Too many guys think I'm a concept or I complete them or I'm going to make them alive, but I'm just a fucked up girl who is looking for my own peace of mind. Don't assign me yours.
- Joel: I remember that speech really well.
- Clementine: I had you pegged, didn't I?
- Joel: You had the whole human race pegged.
- Clementine: Probably.
- Joel: I still thought you were going to save me. Even after that.
- Clementine: I know.
- Clementine: This is it, Joel. It's going to be gone soon.
- Joel: I know.
- Clementine: What do we do?
- Joel: Enjoy it.
- [During Joel's exploration of a memory]
- Joel: I'm in my head already, aren't I?
- Howard: I suppose so. This – this is about what it would look like.
- Joel: [in the house on the beach] I really should go! I've gotta catch my ride.
- Clementine: So go.
- Joel: I did. I thought maybe you were a nut … but you were exciting.
- Clementine: I wish you had stayed.
- Joel: I wish I had stayed too. Now I wish I had stayed. I wish I had done a lot of things. I wish I had … I wish I had stayed. I do.
- Clementine: Well, I came back downstairs and you were gone!
- Joel: I walked out, I walked out the door!
- Clementine: Why?
- Joel: I don't know. I felt like I was a scared little kid, I was like … it was above my head, I don't know.
- Clementine: You were scared?
- Joel: Yeah. I thought you knew that about me. I ran back to the bonfire, trying to outrun my humiliation, I think.
- Clementine: Was it something I said?
- Joel: Yeah, you said "so go." With such disdain, you know?
- Clementine: Oh, I'm sorry.
- Joel: It's okay.
- Clementine: You know me, I'm impulsive.
- Joel: That's what I love about you.
- Joel: I can't see anything I don't like about you.
- Clementine: But you will, you will think of things and I'll get bored with you and feel trapped because that's what happens with me.
- Joel: Okay.
- Jim Carrey – Joel
- Kate Winslet – Clementine
- Kirsten Dunst – Mary
- Elijah Wood – Patrick
- Tom Wilkinson – Howard
- Mark Ruffalo – Stan
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 3rd Draft Script at BeingCharlieKaufman.com
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind quotes at the Internet Movie Database
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind at Rotten Tomatoes