Finding Neverland (film)
Finding Neverland is a 2004 semi-biographical film about the experiences of Peter Pan author J. M. Barrie that led him to write the children's classic. In the movie, he befriends a young widow - and more importantly, her four sons - and their experiences together give him the ideas for a story about boys who do not want to grow up.
J. M. Barrie
- He just has to believe it! He imagines life as he wants to see, and he believes in it long enough and strong enough that it never ceases to be so ... "
Mrs. Emma du Maurier
- Stop giving yourself so much credit. Peter is grieving. It has nothing to do with you.
- James Matthew Barrie: Did you like it?
- Peter Llewelyn Davies: It was magical. Thank you.
- James Matthew Barrie: No, thank YOU. Thank you, Peter.
- Woman: So you're Peter Pan! How wonderful!
- Man: You're Peter Pan? Well, you must be quite the little adventurer!
- Woman 2: Look, it's true, he has no shadow!
- Peter Llewelyn Davies: But I'm not Peter Pan. [Looks at James] He is.
- James Matthew Barrie: And what precisely is Michael's crime?
- George Llewelyn Davies: He's my younger brother.
- J.M. Barrie: What's the name of the game?
- All: Play.
- Peter Llewelyn Davies: That golden scepter is just an old hunk of wood.
- J.M. Barrie: Yes, well, we dream on a budget here, don't we?
- Michael Llewelyn Davies: Can we have him for supper?
- Sylvia Llewelyn Davies: Have him to stay for supper, Michael; we aren't cannibals.
- Mary Ansell Barrie: I'm tired, James. I'm tired of looking like a fool.
- J.M. Barrie: Well, I can't very well give up the play.
- Mary Ansell Barrie: Of course not, just come home to me at the end of the day. No more trips to the cottage, no more lone evenings in the park. If people can't give us that much of a chance... Then we must end this... and I will.
- Michael Llewelyn Davies: Excuse me, sir, you're standing on my sleeve.
- J.M. Barrie: [moves his foot and looks down to face Michael] Am I? So sorry. I might point out you're lying under my bench.
- Peter Llewelyn Davies: This is absurd. It's just a dog.
- J.M. Barrie: Just a dog? Porthos dreams of being a bear, and you want to shatter those dreams by saying he's just a dog? What a horrible candle-snuffing word. That's like saying, "He can't climb that mountain, he's just a man", or "That's not a diamond, it's just a rock." Just.
- Charles Frohman: Twenty-five seats, given to orphans. Perfect. Now my nightmare is complete.
- J.M. Barrie: You can visit Neverland any time you like.
- Peter Llewelyn Davies: How?
- J.M. Barrie: By believing, Peter. Just believe.
- Unlock your imagination.
- How far can your imagination take you?
- Where will your imagination take you?
- Johnny Depp as J. M. Barrie
- Kate Winslet as Sylvia Llewelyn Davies
- Dustin Hoffman as Charles Frohman
- Julie Christie as Mrs. Emma du Maurier
- Radha Mitchell as Mary Ansell Barrie