- When I was young I was called a rugged individualist. When I was in my fifties I was considered eccentric. Here I am doing and saying the same things I did then and I'm labeled senile.
- Just you and me Kid (1979)
- I've had worried parents come up to me and ask me for advice. They'll say "I don't know what to do. My teenage son won't cut his hair, he drives too fast, and I don't know what that stuff is he listens to, but it sure isn't music." I'll just say to them "I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. By the time he's my age, I don't think you'll need to worry about him anymore."
- Living It Up: Or, They Still Love Me in Altoona! (1976)
- Too bad that all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving taxicabs and cutting hair.
- If I paid $3 or $4 for a cigar, first I'd sleep with it.
- Undated clip played on CNN Larry King Live (4 July 2003)
- Happiness is having a loving, close knit family in another city.
- As quoted in The Mammoth Book of Zingers, Quips, and One-Liners (2004) by Geoff Tibballs, p. 251