Giovanni Enrico Morassutti (born March 15, 1980) is an Italian actor, theatre director, writer, artist and cultural entrepreneur of German and Polish matrilineal descent. He interned at the Actors Studio, worked with Ellen Stewart at La MaMa, in Last Days directed by Gus Van Sant and wrote the foreword of the Italian version of John Strasberg'book Accidentally On Purpose. He is a graduate of the Centro Sperimentale di Cinematografia directed by Giancarlo Giannini and he directed and acted in plays in Sweden, Belgium, Holland, Italy and the US. He is the founder of Art Aia-Creatives/In/Residence.
- [Cosa consiglieresti ai giovani che si vogliono accostare al mondo del Cinema o Teatro?] Di trovare un buon maestro, di non tradire se stessi per arrivare al successo e di migliorarsi come persone prima che come attori.
- Find a good teacher, don't betray yourself to succeed and be a better person before being a better actor.
- In response to the question, "What would you recommend to young actors?", from the interview "Giovanni Morassutti: La mia "voce" grazie a Giancarlo Giannini!", SestoDailyNews.net (October 3, 2014); also quoted in MUBI.com.
- Ringrazio Giancarlo Giannini per avermi insegnato ad usare la voce.
- I thank Giancarlo Giannini for having taught me how to use my voice.
- Personalmente, il Processo Organico Creativo mi ha aiutato a scoprire che tipo di attore desidero essere; ma questo è un processo che va oltre la recitazione, poiché mi ha messo nella condizione di capire quello che voglio fare della mia vita e di impegnarmi per concretizzarlo.
- For me personally, The Organic Creative Process helped me to discover what kind of actor I want to be; but this is a process that goes beyond acting. It actually revealed to me what I want to do in my life and that I have to work hard to make it real.
- Tante piccole gocce insieme possono creare un ruscello.
- A great many a drop of water will create a creek.
- Creating the kind of connections between people that lead to collective civic action, political expression, community dialogue, shared cultural experiences.
- Ricordo un’intera sessione all’Actors Studio di New York sul valore catartico della parola “fuck”: le parolacce sono liberatorie per un attore della scuola realista. Al contrario nel film ho dovuto mantenere la veridicità del mio personaggio, pur mantenendo un linguaggio rigorosamente colto: è stata una vera e propria sfida. Avrei tanto desiderato poter dire anche qualche volgarità…!
- I remember a whole session at the Actors Studio in New York on the cathartic value of the word “fuck”: swear words are liberating for a method actor. In the film, on the contrary, I had to maintain the reality of my character, while speaking a strictly cultured language: it has been a real challenge. I would have liked it so much to be able to say also some crudity…!
- I believe that if everyone would follow what they want it would be a very different world.
- Ellen Stewart has been a very important figure in my life. She had so much to say about art and theater but most of all she showed me that love is the most powerful tool in life.
- In response to the question, "Who are some of the most interesting people you have interacted with?", from the interview "Rising Star Giovanni Morassutti: “Never take it personally; It is part of the business", ThriveGlobal (December 23, 2019).
- The film that has influenced me the most is probably Gus Van Sant's My Own Private Idaho, with whom I had the chance to work while in the US. Seeing that movie during a time of my life in which I was exploring my sexuality and looking at the work of River Phoenix made me dream about acting in a film.
- In response to the question, "Can you tell us a story about what brought you to this specific career path??", from the interview "Rising Star Giovanni Morassutti: “Never take it personally; It is part of the business", ThriveGlobal (December 23, 2019).
- Wine making is an artistic creation in which you deal with a variety of styles, colors, and inspiration therefore good wine, like good art, can evoke emotions, sensations and create an experience which leaves a lasting impression.
- It all starts with a vision and a dream, regardless if it is about a character, an artwork, or a project.
- I believe that the art world will expand into a broader field and intertwine more and more disciplines and cultures setting new trends within the cultural field.
- In response to the question, " Which new arts management practices and topics are going to be adapted in the near future in the European context?", from the interview "Arts management in South Asia and Europe. The intertwining of arts management and artistic practice", Arts Management Network - State of the arts (May 25, 2020).
- La ricerca della verità nell’espressione artistica è fondamentalmente la base del lavoro della scuola di recitazione realista.
- The search for truth in artistic expression is the core of the work in the realistic school of acting.
From the book Strasberg Legacy
- The Strasberg family has been an example of sincere dedication to the acting craft and the actors who came out of this movement commonly associated with the Method made the history of modern acting.
- There is also a therapeutic component in the Organic Creative Process: with the exploration of the various characters, the actor develops the knowledge of himself, even through suffering.
- The Method tends to be linear, almost like a 19th century mechanistic way of thinking in its search for a cause that produces the desired effect.
From the official website
- La recitazione mediocre è come masturbarsi senza raggiungere l'orgasmo.
- Average acting is like jerking without an orgasm.
- La Perfezione? Essere il più umano possibile.
- Perfection? Being the most human you can be.
- Preferisco ricordare anche se a volte può essere molto doloroso.
- I would rather remember even if sometimes it can be very painful.
- A volte mi domando se esiste ciò che viene chiamata personalità.
- Sometimes I wonder if it does exist such a thing called personality.
- Il suono della voce umana è il piu bello presente in natura ma solamente se connesso con le emozioni.
- The sound of the human voice is the best of nature but only if it comes out from the feelings.
Quotes about Giovanni Morassutti
- Giovanni was very serious studying in New York and suffered a lot I think. When my work really, really has value is not just somebody who is learning how to act is someone who is actually discovering himself and their own creative process and i think that Giovanni is one of those people where that was what happened.~
- El joven Morassutti… con Madre sin pañuelo, demuestra su particular don de avivar una escena claustrofóbica.
- In staging Madre sin pañuelo, the young Morassutti, demonstrates his gift of enlivening a claustrophobic scene.
- Ernesto Pérez, Journalist; Review of stage play Madre sin pañuelo,Preestreno en Roma de obra teatral de autor argentino, Ansaltina.com (October 4,2015).