(Redirected from Greeley, Horace)
- If any young man is about to commence the world, we say to him, publicly and privately, Go to the West.
- As quoted in New Yorker (25 August 1838); often paraphrased as "Go west, young man, and grow up with the country", sometimes misattributed to John L. Soule 
- The illusion that times that were are better than those that are, has probably pervaded all ages.
- As quoted in The American Conflict, A History of the Great Rebellion (1864).
- My leading idea was the establishment of a journal removed alike from servile partisanship on the one hand and from gagged, mincing neutrality on the other.
- The masses of our countrymen, North and South, are eager to clasp hands across the bloody chasm which has so long divided them.
- Acceptance of Liberal Republican nomination as President (29 May 1872)
- The Republic needed to be passed through chastening, purifying fires of adversity and suffering: so these came and did their work and the verdure of a new national life springs greenly, luxuriantly, from their ashes.
- Greeley on Lincoln (1893), edited by Joel Benton, p. 78
Quotes about Greeley
- While I think as badly of slavery as Horace Greeley did, I am not ashamed that my family were slaveholders. It was our inheritance. Neither am I ashamed that my ancestors were pirates and cattle thieves. People must be judged by the standard of their own age. If it was right to own slaves as property, it was right to fight for it.
- Works by Horace Greeley at Project Gutenberg
- Cartoonist Thomas Nast vs. Candidate Horace Greeley
- Biography at the Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online
- Biography - US History
- Biography - Tulane Univ
- Information on the Sylvania Association in Greeley, PA, supported and financed by Horace Greeley
- Horace Greeley, An Overland Journey from New York to San Francisco in the Summer of 1859 (1860). Book advocating a Transcontinental Railroad
- Mr. Lincoln and Friends: Horace Greeley
- Mr. Lincoln's White House: Horace Greeley
- New Castle Historical Society: Horace Greeley House
- Horace Greeley Foundation web page
- International Vegetarian Union: History of Vegetarianism - USA: 19th Century