Independence Day (1996 film)
(Redirected from Independence Day (movie))
Captain Steven Hiller
- [to the unconscious alien] Y'know, this was supposed to be my weekend off. But no! You got me out here, draggin' your heavy ass, through the burnin' desert, with your dreadlocks sticking out the back of my parachute. You gotta come down here with an attitude, actin' all big and bad. And what the hell is that smell?! [screams and kicks the alien] I could've been at a barbecue! But I ain't mad.
- Now that's what I call a close encounter.
- You did not shoot that green shit at me!
- [last line] Didn't I promise you fireworks?
- [to David] It's the White House, for crying out loud. You can't just drive up and ring the bell.
- So tell me something: you're so smart, how come you spent 8 years at M.I.T. to become a cable repairman?
- All I'm saying is that they have people to handle these things. They want HBO, they'll call you.
- If I knew I was going to meet the President, I would have worn a tie. I mean look at me, I-I look like a schlemiel!
President Thomas Whitmore
- Good morning. [turns on mic] Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world, and you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. Mankind. That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom. Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution… but from annihilation. We're fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice: We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!
- Steven: Sir, I'm really anxious to get back to El Toro.
- General: Hasn't anyone told you? El Toro has been completely destroyed.
- President: I have a confession to make. I'm sleeping next to a beautiful young brunette.
- Marilyn: You didn't let her stay up all night watching TV, did you?
- President: Of course not.
- Patricia: Daddy let me watch Letterman.
- President: Traitor.
- Connie: Now what do we do?
- President: Address the nation. There's gonna be a lot of frightened people out there.
- Connie: Yeah? I'm one of 'em.
- [David finds Marty on the phone with his mother concerning the aliens]
- Marty: I know, Ma. Just try and stay calm!
- David: Tell her to pack up and leave town.
- Marty: Why?! What happened?!
- David: Just do it!
- Marty: [to the phone] Ma! Ma, listen! Uh, get your stuff together, and head for Aunt Esther's. Don't argue with me! Just go! [hangs up] David, why'd I just send my mother to Atlanta? David?! David, talk to me!
- David: Did you hear me tell you that the signal in the satellite feed is slowly recycling down to extinction?
- Marty: Not really.
- David: It's a countdown.
- Marty: A countdown? Wait, a countdown to what, David?!
- David: Uh, it's like in chess. First you strategically position your pieces. Then, when the timing's right, you strike. [turns Marty's attention to the monitor] See? They're positioning themselves all over the world usin' this one signal to synchronize their efforts. In approximately 6 hours, the signal's gonna disappear, and the countdown's gonna be over.
- Marty: And then what?
- David: Checkmate.
- Marty: [gasps] Oh, my God! Oh, my God! I gotta call my brother. I better call my housekeeper. I gotta call my lawyer. Aw, forget my lawyer.
- Jimmy: You scared, man?
- Steven: No. You?
- Jimmy: Nope. [pauses] Hold me.
- Steven: Hey, pay attention.
- Colonel: Something you wanna add to this briefing, Captain Hiller?
- Steven: No, sir. I'm just a little anxious to get up there and whup E.T.'s ass. That's all.
- [everyone else laughs in agreement]
- Colonel: And you'll get your chance. You'll all get your chance. Good hunting. Dismissed!
- Jimmy: Let's kick the tires and light the fires, big daddy!
- [David, Connie, General Grey, and Nimzicki are all talking at once, after David objects to them using nuclear weapons]
- Nimzicki: Shut up! Captain, get him out of here!
- Julius: Hey, don't tell him to shut up! You'd all be dead now if it wasn't for my David! None of you did anything to prevent this!
- General: There was nothing we could do! We were totally unprepared for this.
- Julius: Oh don't give me "unprepared"! It was, what? In the nineteen- what, fifties. Whatever You had that spaceship.
- David: Dad.
- Julius: Yeah, that thing you found in New Mexico. Where was that?
- David: Dad, not the spaceship.
- Julius: Roswell. Roswell, New Mexico. No, you had the spaceship and you had the bodies. They were locked up in a, in a bunker. Where was that?
- Connie: Sir... I don't know.
- Julius: David? Area 51, right? Area 51! You knew then! And you did nothing!
- President: Sir, regardless of what you may have read in the tabloids, there has never been any spacecraft recovered by our government. Take my word for it. There's no Area 51. There's no recovered spaceship.
- Nimzicki: Uh, excuse me, Mr. President. That's not entirely accurate.
- David: What, which part?
- President: I don't understand, where does all this come from? How do you get funding for something like this?
- Julius: You don't actually think they spend $20,000 on a hammer, $30,000 on a toilet seat, do you?
- Dr. Okun: Release me...
- President: Open the door, get him out of there.
- General: Wait!
- [They notice the tentacle wrapped around Okun's neck; the alien comes into view, speaking telepathically through Okun]
- Dr. Okun/Alien: Release me!...Now!...NOW!...
- President: I know there is much we can learn from each other, if we can negotiate a truce. We can find a way to co-exist. Can there be a peace between us?
- Dr. Okun/Alien: Peace?.... No peace...
- President: What is it you want us to do?
- Dr. Okun/Alien: Die... Die...
- Marty: David! David, what the hell's the point of having a beeper if you aren't even gonna turn it on?!?!
- David: What is turned on? I was ignoring you. Hello, what's the uh... what's the big emergency?
- Marty: It started this morning, every station's making like it's the 1950s... we got static, we got snow, all kinds of distortions!
- David: Wait! Marty-
- Marty: Nobody even knows-
- David: .....What the hell are you doin'? There's a reason we have... bins labeled recycle! What the hell's goin' on?! My god in heaven!
- Marty: SO SUE ME, DAVID!
- EARTH: Take a good look. It could be your last.
- We've always believed we weren't alone. On July 4th, we'll wish we were.
- The question of whether or not we are alone in the universe... has been answered.
- WARNING! Your next stop may not be there.
- They only want one thing...DESTRUCTION.
- On July 2nd, they arrive. On July 3rd, they strike. On July 4th, we fight back.
- Today, the human race celebrates their Independence Day.
- Enjoy the Super Bowl, It may be your last.
- from the Independence Day Super Bowl commercial
About Independence Day (1996 film)
- All of this feeds into a sliding scale of villain power. Culminating with the aliens of Independence Day. Notice, in that case, that you no longer need incompetence or corruption of our institutions. Jeopardy takes care of itself. The invaders are so badass that even the United States government and military are allowed to simultaneously be both capable and good! In order to provide spear-carrier support for the two or three point-of-view heroes.
- David Brin 
- Bill Pullman - President Thomas Whitmore
- Margaret Colin - Connie Spano
- Jeff Goldblum - David Levinson
- Will Smith - Captain Steve Hiller
- Vivica A. Fox - Jasmine Dubrow
- Randy Quaid - Russell Casse
- Judd Hirsch - Julius Levinson