Jack (1996 film)
(Redirected from Jack (film))
Jack (1996) is a comedy drama film about Jack, a boy whose body grows four times the normal growth rate.
|This film article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- [his speech at the graduation] I don't have very much time these days so I'll make it quick. Like my life. You know as we come to the end of this phase of our lives, we find ourselves trying to remember the good times and trying to forget the bad times, and we find ourselves thinking about the future. We start to worry, thinking "What am I gonna do?", "Where am I gonna be in ten years?". But I say to you, "Hey, look at me". Please, don't worry so much, because in the end none of us have very long on this earth - life is fleeting. And if you're ever distressed, cast your eyes to the summer sky when the stars are strung across the velvety night, and when a shooting star streaks through the blackness turning night into day, make a wish and think of me. Make your life spectacular. I know I did. I made it, mum! I'm a grown up.
- I want to be just like my best friend when I grow up. He's only ten but he looks much older. He's like the perfect grown up because on the inside, he's still just a kid - he's not afraid to learn things or try things, or to meet new people the way most grown ups are. It's like he's looking at everything for the first time - because he is. And most grown ups aren't like that.
- Mr Woodruff: You know why I like to teach children, Jack? So I don't get so wrapped up in being an adult. So I can remember there are other things that are important in life - like riding a bike, playing in a treehouse, splashing in water with your good shoes on. And you my friend were my most special student, and, until recently, you were everything I ever wanted in a student. You were a shooting star amongst ordinary stars. Have you ever seen a shooting star, Jack?
- Jack: No...
- Mr Woodruff: It's wonderful. It passes quickly, but while it's here it just lights up the whole sky - it's the most beautiful thing you'd ever want to see. So beautiful that the other stars stop and watch. You almost never see one.
- Jack: Why?
- Mr Woodruff: Because they're very rare - quite rare - but I saw one. I did.
- Jack: I just want to be a regular star.
- Mr Woodruff: Jack, you'll never be regular. You're spectacular.
- Robin Williams as Jack Powell
- Brian Kerwin as Brian Powell
- Diane Lane as Karen Powell
- Jennifer Lopez as Miss Elena Marquez
- Bill Cosby as Lawrence Woodruff
- Fran Drescher as Dolores "D.D." Durante
- Adam Zolotin as Louie Durante
- Todd Bosley as Eddie
- Seth Smith as John-John
- Mario Yedidia as George
- Michael McKean as Paulie
- Allan Rich as Dr. Benfante
- Keone Young as Dr. Lin