Melanie Jayne Chisholm (born 12 January 1974 in Whiston, Merseyside) is an English singer, songwriter and television personality most famous as one of the five members of English girl group the Spice Girls, where she is known as "Sporty Spice". She is also known as Melanie C or Mel C. As a solo artist she has released four albums and was nominated for a BRIT and ECHO awards.
- A lot of people have been quite surprised with the stuff that I'm doing on my own, which shocks me because I've always known what I wanted to do. But people have only seen me with the Spice Girls, so I suppose it's not that surprising
- Being in the Spice Girls was an insane experience.
- Everybody in life is a chameleon.
- I don't think I'm a great singer myself. I'm all right. I've worked with different writers, different producers... I've just been blessed with the caliber of people I've been able to work with.
- I don't want to be daft and say I had some spiritual awakening or something, but I really did come of age in Los Angeles, where we recorded the album. I had my own little house and my own little circle and I really got to feel how the city ticks.
- I don't want to hurt anybody or be offensive. But I don't want to not be me.
- I feel there should have been some recognition of the Spice Girls at this year's 25th anniversary. We flew the flag for Britain around the globe in the 1990s and we achieved a hell of a lot.
- I just feel, in life, I'm searching for something I can rely on, something that's constant and something that's going to guide me through. And I felt that the Northern Star is a very beautiful image of that.
- On her song Northern Star.
- I know I'm not a great singer. But I love to sing and I like to use my voice in different ways.
- I love being onstage and I love to perform. To be honest with you, I'm more comfortable performing than I am in an everyday situation, which I can't quite explain.
- God look at his fingernails they're so dirty!
- Referring to Pete Doherty.
- It's really hard to accept the knowledge that I am a role model. It was something we had to think about, and we don't take it lightly. Young people do listen to us and are influenced by us. But then again, I don't want to compromise who I am, because that's a girl-power message.
- Putting out my album on my own label has been a great experience for me. It's been very inspiring. It's like a new start for me and having all this creative freedom is so liberating and exciting.
- The British press have written some nasty and spiteful things about the way I look which used to affect me quite badly when it was new to me but luckily, I've learned to ignore the comments. why do they even care about how I look?
- This is me. Take it or leave it.
- We were in the same band, but we're two completely different people. People have asked me to make comparisons with our albums, and I can't, because there's no comparison. Her album's okay. I don't think she's the best singer on Earth, but she's okay.
- About Geri Halliwell
- Do you?
- Responding to Simon Amstell's question, "Do you put condoms on a man before intercourse?"
- It's a sad loss to the music business. She was a lady with a lot of strength and the Spice Girls had a lot of respect for her.
- About Dusty Springfield.