Operation Dumbo Drop
Operation Dumbo Drop is a 1995 comedy-adventure film loosely based on true events. The film follows a small band of Green Berets as they endeavor to secretly transport a full-grown elephant across 200 miles of rugged jungle terrain to reach a remote mountain villlage. directed by Simon Wincer; written by James Morris, Gene Quintano, and Jim Kouf
- (on his cb radio) Gilman, may I remind you that I have friends who have absolutely no regard for the sanctity of human life? I pick up the phone, I have your head in a bag on my desk tomorrow morning.
- (after watching Cahill and Doyle's argument, in which Farley nearly goes over the bridge) Yep. I'm real happy about my decision to stick with you guys.
Capt. T.C. Doyle
- (after the elephant cermony, to Cahill) When you're standing on a roof with your brother in Fort Lauderdale, I think you're really gonna enjoy the view.
- (upset, on the boat) I should be on a top secret mission with crack commandos but instead, I'm in an episode of McHale's Navy starring Dumbo, Mr. French, and the Three Stooges!
- Does anybody else here know how to work an elephant?
- C-123 Pilot: Gentleman, I'm responsible for anything that goes in this cargo hold. Now if that thing even twitches, you are gonna see an elephant fly.
- Colonel Nguyen: (after a request to shoot) I did not join this army to shoot elephants, especially ones that fly.
- Lihn: (angry) You nice American? You think you're Number One? You Number Ten!
- Harvey Ashford: (seeing a black crow) Bird if I were you, I'd get the hell out of here!
- (the group has stopped on the bridge after the truck quits, Poole starts walking in the opposite direction)
- Doyle: Poole, where are you going?
- Poole: (stalking off) Saigon!
- Doyle: Get back here!
- Cahill: Poole, do you want me to call General Richardson?
- Poole: (turns around) Yeah, Cahill! Yeah, I do! Call General Richardson!I'll get him on the phone for you right now! Because I am sick and tired... (tries to get the radio set open and just drops it, fuming) That's it! I've had it! I was on a plane that almost crashed, I came this close to being killed by an angry mob, and now look at my uniform! It's covered in elephant crap! So you really think I give a damn whether or not you call General Richardson, and tell him I slept with his wife, huh?
- Doyle': (stops working on the truck, turns around, almost laughing) You slept with the wife of General "Kill-'em-all-and-let-God-sort-them-out" Richardson?
- Poole: I thought it was his daughter.
- Doyle: Oh yeah, he would've been fine with that.
- Y B'ham: (about Linh) Boy have no family. All killed.
- Doyle: You mean in the war?
- Y B'ham: (sarcastically) No, hit by falling star... Yes, in war.
- Poole: You know something? This country's really beautiful.
- Farley: Yeah. Kind of reminds me of home.
- Poole: (bitingly) Oh, really? How exactly does this remind you of home?
- Farley: Well...
- Poole: No, Farley, tell me, what is it? The spirit-crushing humidity? The disease-bearing insects? Or is it that special feeling that comes from the knowledge that at any given moment, a sniper's bullet could come spiralling towards your forehead?
- Cahill: What if the NVA isn't the first to come along here? What if it's a bunch of school children walking home? Did you ever think about that? No! Why? Because guys like you don't think things through! (slaps Doyle in the forehead)
- Doyle: Me? What about you? You've got six people and an elephant risking their lives so that you can go home with a clear conscience. You're afraid that when you're standing up on that rooftop with your brother in Fort Lauderdale, looking back over your sparkling military career, you're not gonna like what you see! So you want to do one good thing before you go, which is great! But your one good thing isn't pulling a kid out of a burning building, or diving on a grenade, it's this! And because it's this, it involves us! But you didn't think about that, did you? No! Why? Because guys like you don't think things through!
- When you weigh four tons, it's hard to be a secret weapon.
- Five tons of Disney fun!
- A Top-Secret Mission Of Gigantic Proportions!
- A story about big dreams and small miracles.
- Landing this summer
- Danny Glover - Captain Sam Cahill
- Ray Liotta - Captain T.C. Doyle
- Denis Leary - Chief Warrant Officer 3 David Poole
- Doug E. Doug - Specialist 4 Harvey Ashford
- Corin Nemec - Specialist 5 Lawrence Farley
- Dinh Thien Le -Linh
- James Hong - Y B'ham
- Tchéky Karyo - Goddard
- Hoang Ly - Brigadier Nguyen
- Vo Trung Anh - Captain Quang
- Marshall Bell - Major Pederson
- Tim Kelleher - Major Morris
- Raymond Cruz - Staff Sergeant Adams
- Tai - Bo Tat