Pan's Labyrinth (Spanish title: El Laberinto del Fauno, literally The Labyrinth of the Faun) is a 2006 Spanish-language film, set in Francoist Spain in 1944, in which the bookish young stepdaughter of a sadistic army officer escapes into an eerie but captivating fantasy world.
- Written and directed by Guillermo del Toro.
- The say that a long, long time ago, in an underground kingdom, where there are no lies or pain, there lived a Princess who dreamt of the human world. She dreamt of the blue sky, the soft breeze and the brilliant sun. One day, eluding her keepers, the Princess escaped. Once outside, the sunlight blinded her and erased every trace of the past from her memory. The princess forgot who she was, and where she came from. Her body suffered cold, sickness and pain. After years passed, she died. However, her father, the King, always knew that the Princess' soul would return, perhaps in another body, in another place, at another time. And he would wait for her, until he drew his last breath, until the world stopped turning...
- And it is said that the Princess returned to her father's kingdom. That she reigned there with justice and a kind heart for many centuries. That she was loved by her people. And that she left behind small traces of her time on Earth, visible only to those who know where to look.
- [to Mercedes] Have you seen my mother? Isn't she beautiful?
- [to the giant toad] Hello. I am Princess Moanna, and I am not afraid of you.
- [to the giant toad] Aren’t you ashamed? Living down here, eating all the pill bugs and getting fat while the tree dies?
- I choose to be here because I want my son to be born in a new, clean Spain.
- We catch one and he turns out to be a stutterer. Fuck! We'll be here all night.
- Forward [to battle]... No fear! This is the only deserving way to die.
- Carmen: The captain has been so good to us... Please, Ofelia, call him father. It's just a word, Ofelia, just a word.
- Garcés: [surrounded by men, Mercedes holds the paring knife against her throat] If anyone is going to kill you, I'd rather it be me.
- Mercedes: [to Vidal] I'm not some old man! Or a wounded prisoner! Motherfucker... Don't you dare touch the girl. You won't be the first pig I've gutted!
- Ofelia: My name is Ofelia. Who are you?
- Faun: Me? I've had so many names... Old names that only the wind and the trees can pronounce. I am the mountain, the forest and the earth. I am... I am a faun. Your most humble servant, Your Highness.
- Mayor: Have I told you that I was acquainted with your father, Captain?
- Capitán Vidal: No. I had no idea.
- Mayor: In Morocco. I knew him only briefly, but he left a great impression.
- Capitán Vidal: An excellent soldier.
- Mayor: The men in his battalion said that when General Vidal died on the battlefield, he smashed his watch on a rock so that his son would know the exact hour and minute of his death. So he would know how a brave man dies.
- Capitán Vidal: Nonsense. He didn't own a watch.
- Dr. Ferreiro: Let's see how that leg is doing, Frenchie.
- Old Man: How do you think it's doing? It's fucked up.
- Dr. Ferreiro: One more thing, sir. What makes you so sure it's a boy?
- Capitán Vidal: Don't fuck with me.
- Capitán Vidal: You could have obeyed me!
- Dr. Ferreiro: But captain, to obey- just like that- for the sake of obeying... without questioning... that's something only people like you can do Captain.
- Mercedes: I'm a coward.
- Pedro: You're not a coward.
- Mercedes: Yes, I am. A coward - for living next to that son of a bitch, doing his laundry, making his bed, feeding him... What if the doctor's right and we can't win?
- Pedro: At least we'll make things harder for that bastard.
- Capitán Vidal: Tell my son what time his father died. Tell him that I-
- Mercedes: [interrupting] No. He won't even know your name.
- [Pedro shoots a shocked Vidal in the face, killing him]
- Ivana Baquero - Ofelia
- Sergi López - Capitán Vidal
- Maribel Verdú - Mercedes
- Doug Jones - Pan/Pale Man
- Ariadna Gil - Carmen Vidal
- Álex Angulo - Dr. Ferreiro
- Manolo Solo - Garcés
- César Vea - Serrano
- Roger Casamajor - Pedro