The Philippines, officially the Republic of the Philippines (Filipino: Repúblika ng Pilipinas), is an island country in Southeastern Eurasia situated in the western Pacific Ocean. To its north across the Luzon Strait lies Taiwan; west across the South China Sea sits Vietnam; southwest is the island of Borneo across the Sulu Sea, and to the south the Celebes Sea separates it from other islands of Indonesia.
- Most Americans can't find the Philippines on a map, so why bother.
- Mike Lopresti, "Outrage to Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s racist rant still missing" (9 September 2010), USA Today.
- I said, to the people of the Philippines whence I came, I shall return. Tonight, I repeat those words: I shall return!
- Douglas MacArthur, After his arrival in Australia from the Philippines (30 March 1942)
- I have returned. By the grace of Almighty God, our forces stand again on Philippine soil.
- In the Philippines, America has evolved a model for this new free world of Asia. In the Philippines, America has demonstrated that peoples of the East and peoples of the West may walk side by side in mutual respect and with mutual benefit. The history of our sovereignty there has now the full confidence of the East.
- This is absolutely not unique to Singapore. If there's one country that will definitely succeed with meritocracy, pragmatism and honesty, that's the Philippines. I say this because Filipinos are among the most talented people in the world today.
- Former Ambassador to the United Nations of Singapore, Kishore Mahbubani, quoted on Rappler, "#SG50: 'Philippines can succeed like Singapore'",
- Extreme poverty, the increasing availability of high-speed internet and the existence of a vast and comparatively wealthy overseas customer base has led to organised crime groups exploiting children for financial gain.
- The National Crime Agency, quoted on BBC News, "Philippines web abuse ring smashed in UK-led operation", January 15, 2014.
- There is currently no food, water or electricity. We can only imagine how much worse the situation will be for families living in towns and remote villages.
- DEC chairman Salah Saeed, quoted on BBC News, "Typhoon Haiyan: UK aid work under way in Philippines", November 13, 2013.
- Life here is routinely visited by cataclysm. Killer typhoons that strike several times a year. Bandit insurgencies that never end. Somnolent mountains that one day decide to wake up. The Philippines isn’t like China or Brazil, whose mass might absorb the trauma. This is a nation of scattered rocks in the sea. When disaster hits, the place goes under for a while. Then it resurfaces and life proceeds.