|This philosopher article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- The achievement of happiness requires not the ... satisfaction of our needs ... but the examination and transformation of those needs.
- Pursuits of Happiness (1984)
- I know how to give the meaning of a word but not how to give the intention of a word.
- The Division of Talent (1985)
- The crucified human body is our best picture of the unacknowledged human soul.
- The Claim of Reason: Wittgenstein, Skepticism, Morality, and Tragedy (Oxford: 1979), p. 430