Talk:A. A. Milne
- "A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself."
This is a quotation from the essay The Record Lie, which is contained in a collection of essays entitled If I May. (See http://books.google.de/books?id=IAAQYJMgO9EC&pg=PA49&lpg=PA49&dq=Milne+%22Record+Lie%22&source=bl&ots=0UGGGCmdF-&sig=JnmZGzeZEnZTIdi7ksEytne7YFE&hl=de&sa=X&ei=FUJsT8-5M4TNswa_hYHRAg&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=Milne%20%22Record%20Lie%22&f=false .) I think it might legitimately be moved back to the actual quotations page. --Themis-Athena (talk) 10:11, 23 March 2012 (UTC)
- "What I like doing best is nothing. It means just going along,
listening to all the things you can't hear, and not bothering."
- "If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you."
- "One of the advantages of being disorganized is that one is always having surprising discoveries."
- "The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
- "When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it."
- "The Old Testament is responsible for more atheism, agnosticism, disbelief — call it what you will — than any book ever written; it has emptied more churches than all the counterattractions of cinema, motor bicycle, and golf course."
- While everybody else shakes my hand, you my heart.
- "If ever there is tomorrow when we’re not together.. there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we’re apart.. I’ll always be with you."
This might not have been written by A.A. Milne but actually by a Disney scriptwriter. It appears in the 1997 DVD "Pooh’s Grand Adventure: The Search for Christopher Robin". See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jek6ccb1fg and also http://morcom.on.ca/a-a-milne-would-never-write-that/
- "What day is it?" asked Pooh.
"It's today," squeaked Piglet.
"My favorite day," said Pooh.
- When late morning rolls around and you're feeling a bit out of sorts, don't worry; you're probably just a little eleven o'clockish.
- "Some people talk to animals. Not many listen though. That's the problem" -- Attributed to A. A. Milne by many