- For tens of millions of people television has become habit-forming, brain-softening, taste-degrading.
- Highly educated bores are by far the worst; they know so much, in such fiendish detail, to be boring about.
- It is the gossip columnist's business to write about what is none of his business.
- Many people today don't want honest answers insofar as honest means unpleasant or disturbing, They want a soft answer that turneth away anxiety.
- Nothing so soothes our vanity as a display of greater vanity in others; it make us vain, in fact, of our modesty.
- Old age is an excellent time for outrage. My goal is to say or do at least one outrageous thing every week.
- Privacy was in sufficient danger before TV appeared, and TV has given it its death blow.
- The closer and more confidential our relationship with someone, the less we are entitled to ask about what we are not voluntarily told.