Talk:Roger Nash Baldwin
All those who think the ACLU is simply an American institution that has strayed to the left should read this. The ACLU is more of threat to this country than UBL.--22.214.171.124 09:53, 30 September 2005 (UTC)David Gray
Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable and precise source for any quote on this list please move it to Roger Nash Baldwin.
- I regard the principle of conscription of life as a flat contradiction of all our cherished ideals of individual freedom, democratic liberty and Christian teaching.... I cannot consistently, with self respect, do other than I have, namely, to deliberately violate an act which seems to me to be a denial of everything which ideally and in practice I hold sacred.
- Statement at his draft trial.
- Do steer away from making it look like a Socialist enterprise. Too many people have already gotten the idea that it is nine-tenths a Socialist movement... We want also to look like patriots in everything we do. We want to get a good lot of flags, talk a good deal about the Constitution and what our forefathers wanted to make of this country, and to show that we are really the folks that really stand for the spirit of our institutions.
- Baldwin's advice in 1917 to Louis Lochner of the socialist People's Council in Minnesota
- Silence never won rights. They are not handed down from above; they are forced from pressures from below.
- They have rights who dare defend them.
- I seek the social ownership of property, the abolition of the propertied class, and the sole control of those who produce wealth. Communism is the goal.
- I have continued directing the unpopular fight for the rights of agitation, as director of the American Civil Liberties Union.... I am for socialism, disarmament and ultimately for abolishing the state itself as an instrument of violence and compulsion. I seek the social ownership of property, the abolition of the propertied class and sole control by those who produce wealth. Communism is, of course, the goal.
I've marked this as "failed verification" due to the discussion on Snopes. Until someone can access the original source, and provide an unedited version, this is not a verified quotation. Will Beback 11:34, 22 November 2010 (UTC)