The Cat Returns
The Cat Returns (Neko no ongaeshi in Japanese) is a 2002 Studio Ghibli film. It is a modern fairytale about a clumsy girl called Haru who saves the life of the Cat Prince. As a reward she is taken to the Kingdom of the Cats where she reluctantly begins to transform into a cat. As this happens the King attempts to force Haru to marry the Prince whom she saved. Using her newfound friends Toto, The Baron and Muta she has to leave before she turns fully into a cat.
- [After the sun sets on the town, making the windows turn gold] That's enough, Baron! Turn it off. No one's impressed with your cheesy light show, okay?
- I respect a woman who stands up for herself. Even if she does like sticking her nose in other people's business!
- From now on... you're not allowed to make anymore... [starts falling] fat jokes!
- [To Baron, about Haru] Alright, alright. I'll watch the little baby.
- What? Moo?!? Are you saying that I'm a fat cow?
- Whenever someone creates something with all of their heart, then that creation is given a soul.
- (After seeing Haru kidnapped by the cats) Better skip the tea.
- Your majesty, I promise that I will make the young lady smile.
- [After Haru admits she has a crush on the Baron] Just for the record, I admire a woman who speaks from the heart.
- Always believe in yourself. Do this and no matter where you are, you will have nothing to fear.
- If you find yourself troubled by something mysterious or a problem that's hard to solve, there's a place you can go where you always find help. You just need to look for it.
- I am Baron Humbert von Gikkingen, and I have come for Haru.
- Natori(Vizier): How can you not remember it your majesty? Even our legends tell of a large white cat devouring all of the fish in our lake.
- The Baron: Muta, you didn't really do that, did you? That's disgusting.
- Haru: Hey, mom? Do you think cats can talk?
- Haru's mother: Sure, why not?
- Natoru(Cat messenger): What?! But all the cats in the kingdom agreed the gifts were just lovely!
- Haru: Don't you cats know anything? I hate mice, I don't eat them! I'm allergic to cat-tails, and catnip does nothing for me!
- Baron: Leaving so soon Muta? That's a pity, we were just about to have some Angel Fruit cake out from the cupboard.
- Muta: Where in the Cupboard?
- Natori(Vizier): Your Majesty! You hit one of our own men, how could you!
- The King:: Lets keep that between you and me.
- The King: I'll change you back if you marry me.
- Haru: (gets angry) I have just had enough of you! Nobody decides who I am, but me, and there's no way on earth I will EVER marry you!!
- The King: (shocked by Haru's answer) Was that a no?