To Have and Have Not (film)
To Have and Have Not is a 1944 is a thriller romance war adventure film directed by Howard Hawks and starring Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall. It is nominally based on the novel To Have and Have Not by Ernest Hemingway.
- You know you don't have to act with me, Steve. You don't have to say anything, and you don't have to do anything. Not a thing. Oh, maybe just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow.
- The bolded portion was ranked #34 in the American Film Institute's list of the top 100 movie quotations in American cinema.
- Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
- Drinking don't bother my memory. If it did I wouldn't drink. I couldn't. You see, I'd forget how good it was, then where'd I be? Start drinkin' water, again.
- Slim: Who was the girl, Steve?
- Steve: Who was what girl?
- Slim: The one that left you with such a high opinion of women? She must have been quite a gal. You think I lied to you about this, don't you? Well, it just happens there's thirty-odd dollars here. Not enough for boat fare, or any other kind of fare. Just enough for me to say 'no' if I feel like it, and you can have it if you want it... You wouldn't take anything from anybody would you?... You know Steve, you're not very hard to figure. Only at times. Sometimes I know exactly what you're going to say. Most of the time. The other times, the other times you're just a stinker.
- [Slim kisses Steve]
- Steve: What did you do that for?
- Slim: I've been wondering if I'd like it.
- Steve: What's the decision?
- Slim: I don't know yet.
- [They kiss again]
- Slim: It's even better when you help.
- Slim: I'm hard to get, Steve. All you have to do is ask me.
- Steve: You know what you're getting into. It's gonna be rough.
- Slim: Give her my love.
- Steve: I'd give her my own if she had that on!
- Officer at port: Name?
- Steve: Harry Morgan.
- Officer at port: Nationality?
- Steve: Eskimo.
- Officer at port: What?
- Steve: American.
- Slim: Hello Steve.
- Steve: You were going to put her on a plane. What's the matter, didn't it go?
- Slim: It went, But I decided not to.
- Steve: You did? I went to a lot of trouble to get you out of here.
- Slim: That's why I didn't go.