(Redirected from Tony Abbot)
|The neutrality of this article is disputed.
Please see the relevant discussion on the talk page.
Tony Abbott (born 4 November 1957) is an Australian politician who was the Prime Minister of Australia (18 September 2013 to 15 September 2015) and federal leader of the centre-right Liberal Party of Australia (2009 to 2015).
- I think it would be folly to expect that women will ever dominate or even approach equal representation in a large number of areas simply because their aptitudes, abilities and interests are different for physiological reasons.
- SRC (Students Representative Council) student paper, Sydney University, 1979.
- Quoted in ABC Four Corners, "The Authentic Mr Abbott" on abc.net.au, March 15, 2010.
- I am, as you know, hugely unconvinced by the so-called settled science on climate change.
- Quoted in "ABC 7.30 Report", July 22, 2002.
- If we’re honest, most of us would accept that a bad boss is a little bit like a bad father or a bad husband … you find that he tends to do more good than harm. He might be a bad boss but at least he’s employing someone while he is in fact a boss.
- Quoted in "Tony Abbott under fire" on abc.net.au, July 22, 2002.
- Abortion is the easy way out. It’s hardly surprising that people should choose the most convenient exit from awkward situations.
- The problem with the Australian practice of abortion is that an objectively grave matter has been reduced to a question of the mother’s convenience.
- I want to make it clear that I do not judge or condemn any woman who has had an abortion, but every abortion is a tragedy and up to 100,000 abortions a year is this generation's legacy of unutterable shame.
- Abbott to parliament in 2005. [specific citation needed]
- I won't be rushing out to get my daughters vaccinated [for cervical cancer], maybe that's because I'm a cruel, callow, callous, heartless bastard but, look, I won't be
- Quoted in "I could be seen as 'cruel' on Gardasil: Abbott", Australian (09 November 2006).
- I think there does need to be give and take on both sides, and this idea that sex is kind of a woman’s right to absolutely withhold, just as the idea that sex is a man’s right to demand I think they are both they both need to be moderated, so to speak.
- Panel discussion "Religion, Sex and Politics" on abc.com.au, March 19, 2009.
- When you are challenging the young, they can come back at you with language of tremendous power and they are no respecters of sacred cows, you know, the young. There's nothing politically correct about the average young Australian when it comes to use of language.
- Quoted in News.com.au, "Abbott OK being a 'lame, gay, churchy loser'" in news.com.au from all angles, (28 August 2009).
- The argument [behind climate change] is absolute crap. However, the politics of this are tough for us. Eighty per cent of people believe climate change is a real and present danger.
- Quoted in "Town of Beaufort changed Tony Abbott's view on climate change" in the Australian, (12 December 2009).
- WorkChoices is dead, it's buried, it's cremated.
- Quoted in ABC News "WorkChoices haunt Abbott" on abc.net.au, July 19, 2010.
- What the housewives of Australia need to understand as they do the ironing is that if they get it done commercially it’s going to go up in price and their own power bills when they switch the iron on are going to go up.
- Quoted in the Sydney Morning Herald, "Abbott accused of being 'incredibly old-fashioned' as he lets off steam", February 9, 2010.
- There may not be a great job for [aboriginal people] but whatever there is, they just have to do it... And if it's picking up rubbish around the community, it just has to be done.
- Quoted in the Australian, "Aboriginal people must get jobs, says Opposition leader Tony Abbott" June 30, 2010.
- Jesus knew that there was a place for everything and it’s not necessarily everyone’s place to come to Australia.
- Panel discussion, "Tony Abbott on Q and A" on abc.net.au, April 5, 2010.
- I know politicians are going to be judged on everything they say but sometimes in the heat of discussion you go a little bit further than you would if it was an absolutely calm, considered, prepared, scripted remark. The statements that need to be taken absolutely as gospel truth are those carefully prepared scripted remarks.
- Quoted in "Don't believe everything I say - Tony Abbott" on news.com.au, (18 May 2010).
- It seems that, notwithstanding the dramatic increases in manmade CO2 emissions over the last decade, the world's warming has stopped.
- Quoted in "2009 Australia's second warmest year ever, according to Bureau of Meteorology figures" in the Herald Sun, (5 January 2010).
- While I think men and women are equal, they are also different and I think it's inevitable and I don't think it's a bad thing at all that we always have, say, more women doing things like physiotherapy and an enormous number of women simply doing housework
- Quoted in "Rudd hands PM a crucial lifeline" by : Laurie Oakes in the Herald Sun, (06 August 2010).
- Victory is within our ready grasp...We are in reach of a famous victory
- "Abbott's 'famous victory' remark … was it gospel or not?" in The Age, (23 June 2010).
- I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... it [their virginity] is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
- Quoted in "The Monk might make sense", The Age, (28 Jan 2010).
- The poor will always be with us.
- Quoted in "Bible bashing the homeless, Abbott style "in response to whether a government under his direction would continue with the Rudd government's goal of halving homelessness by 2020" in the Brisbane Times, (30 June 2010).
- We stand for lower, simpler, fairer taxes, not great big new taxes that damage Australia's economy, not great big new taxes that are yet another hit on the cost of living of struggling Australian families.
- The Coalition will end the waste, repay the debt, stop the big new taxes and, above all else, stop the boats.
- We are Liberals who believe in smaller government, lower taxes, greater freedom.
- Quoted in "Fact file: What Tony Abbott promised on tax" ABC News, ( 23 Jul 2014)
- Climate change argument is absolute crap.
- Quoted in "A look back at most controversial Tony Abbott moments" on news.com.au, (23 May 2014).
- This government thinks that somehow you can build prosperity with new taxes. No country ever got rich by increasing taxation. No country ever built a strong economy by clobbering itself with tax after tax after tax.
- There is one fundamental message that we want to go out from this place to every nook and cranny of our country: There should be no new tax collection without an election.
- Quoted in "Fact file: What Tony Abbott promised on tax" ABC News, (23 Jul 2014).
- No one, however smart, however well educated, however experienced, is the suppository of all wisdom.
- Liberal Party Campaign launch, 12/08/2013 ("Tony Abbott declares 'no one can be a suppository of all wisdom'").
- A linguistic mix up/gaffe, confusing "suppository" with "repository"
- Fire is a part of the Australian experience.
- Quoted in "UN official 'talking through her hat' on bushfires and climate change, says Tony Abbott" in the Sydney Morning Herald, (October 23, 2013).
- We pledge to the families of Australia that we will never make your lives harder by imposing unnecessary new taxes.
- Quoted in "Fact file: What Tony Abbott promised on tax" ABC News, (23 Jul 2014).
- All of the boats in question were in the Indonesian search and rescue zone and I want the fullest possible cooperation between Indonesia and Australia in places where Indonesia has, if you like, the legal responsibility under the law of the sea, but Australia has more practical capacity to help.
- Indonesia is a country for which I have a great deal of respect and personal affection based on my own time in Indonesia. I want nothing, but the best for Indonesia, and I certainly want, Leigh, I certainly want the boats stopped and that is overwhelmingly in the interests of both our countries.
- I'll be accountable to the Australian public at the next election - they expect us to stop the boats and that's what we are doing.
- Quoted in "Tony Abbott compares stopping asylum-seeker boats to war", News.com.au, (10 January 2014)
- Obviously we have now had a number of very credible leads and there is increasing hope - no more than hope, no more than hope - that we might be on the road to discovering what did happen to this ill-fated aircraft.
- About Malaysia Airlines MH370, quoted on BBC News, "Malaysia flight MH370: New data 'shows possible debris'", March 23, 2014.
- I enjoy onions