Jump to navigation Jump to search
Twitter is an online social networking service that enables users to send and read short 140-character messages called "tweets".
- Too many twits make a twat.
- David Cameron, expressing his views on Twitter during an interview on Absolute radio (29 July 2009), David Cameron says sorry for 'twat' comment during radio interview.
- I Don't Look at Twitter Because It Doesn't Tell Me Anything.
- Noam Chomsky, Interview with Byline.com, "Chomsky: I Don't Look at Twitter Because It Doesn't Tell Me Anything", April 14, 2015.
- A million fucking message boards, email, Twitter, any number of free tools, being limited only by time and your imagination? If I’d had the internet in 1988 I WOULD OWN AN ENTIRE COUNTRY BY NOW AND WOULD PUT HUNDREDS OF YOU TO DEATH EACH DAY JUST FOR FUN AND IT WOULD BE THE LAW.
- That is the central tenet of twenty- first-century Western philosophy: ‘I tweet, therefore I am.’
- John O'Farrell The Man Who Forgot His Wife (published 16 March 2012)
- The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James' Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio's values, and we have severed our business relationship with him.
- Alan Horn, press statement (20 July 2018)
- Much of the stuff on Twitter or in op-ed pieces is all the more embarrassing for having been written from a presumed position of great intellectual superiority...
- People are always criticizing Twitter. "Twitter is crazy!" they say. I think that's misguided. Twitter is simply an avenue -- there are many -- by which people reveal who they are.
- No official directive at all, and I don’t think I’ve ever tweeted anything that bad. But it’s nine years of stuff written largely off the cuff as ephemera, if trolls scrutinizing it for ammunition is the new normal, this seems like a “why not?” move.
- Rian Johnson, Twitter, (July 25, 2018, 5:52 PM).
- I complained to Twitter about the man who, pretending to be me, commended the Charleston racist murderer. Twitter responded: “We have determined that it’s not in violation of Twitter’s impersonation policy.” I felt a flash of rage. Every time an online shaming occurred Twitter and Google made money. Whereas those of us doing the actual shaming? We got nothing. Twitter suddenly felt uncaring, intimidating, even dangerous. We were unpaid shaming interns for a company that didn’t care about us. I quit Twitter.
The world outside Twitter was great. I read books. I reconnected with people I knew from real life and met them for drinks in person. Then I drifted back on to Twitter.
- Jon Ronson, "Jon Ronson: how the online hate mob set its sights on me", The Guardian, (20 December 2015)
- Chairman Mao was the first in the world to use Twitter. All his quotations are within 140 words.
- If Shakespeare were alive today, he might be writing on Twitter.
- Twitter is the people’s tool, the tool of the ordinary people, people who have no other resources.
- Ai Weiwei in: Ventura, Catherine. “Is Twitter a Human Right? One Chinese Activist Thinks So.” Huffington Post, March 17, 2012.