2004 : Books won't stay banned. They won't burn. Ideas won't go to jail. In the long run of history, the censor and the inquisitor have always lost. The only sure weapon against bad ideas is better ideas. ~ Alfred Whitney Griswold
2005 : Conservative, n. A statesman enamored of existing evils, as opposed to a Liberal, who wants to replace them with new ones. ~ Ambrose Bierce, born that day.
- 3 Jeff Q (talk) 11:11, 20 Jun 2005 (UTC)
- 4 AllanHainey 12:57, 20 Jun 2005 (UTC)
- 3 Kalki 19:03, 22 Jun 2005 (UTC)
This day presented the most complicated of the decisions thus far for the new QotD procedures; 3 quotes, "Acquaintance", "Conservative" and a "Love" quote (which I added) were ranked 4 by someone... with "Conservative" (added by JeffQ) having the most positve responses of these... thus "Conservative" seemed the fairest choice to me, despite my own strong preference for the Love quote. ~ Kalki
Guilt, n. The condition of one who is known to have committed an indiscretion, as distinguished from the state of him who has covered his tracks. ~ Ambrose Bierce, born that day.
- 3 MosheZadka 00:28, 15 Jun 2005 (UTC)
- 2 Kalki 23:07, 17 Jun 2005 (UTC)
- 3 AllanHainey 12:57, 20 Jun 2005 (UTC)
Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion. ~ Ambrose Bierce, born that day.
Acquaintance, n. A person whom we know well enough to borrow from, but not well enough to lend to. ~ Ambrose Bierce, born that day.
Circus, n. A place where horses, ponies and elephants are permitted to see men, women and children acting the fool. ~ Ambrose Bierce, born that day.
There is nothing better or more necessary than love. ~ John of the Cross (born this day)
- 4 Kalki 19:03, 22 Jun 2005 (UTC) I feel this is a perfect follow up to "Science is a differential equation. Religion is a boundary condition." by Alan Turing which has been used for the 23rd, and a nearly perfect statement on its own. It joins "Physics isn't the most important thing. Love is." by Richard Feynman, "It is love alone that gives worth to all things." by Teresa of Avila and a few others in my own rankings of the very best "Love" quotes.
- 4 Jeff Q (talk) 23:28, 19 May 2006 (UTC). I love Bierce, but I prefer variety.
My sole occupation is love. ~ John of the Cross (born this day)
All I do is done in love; all I suffer, I suffer in the sweetness of love. ~ John of the Cross (born this day)