Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (film)
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is a 2012 American action, fantasy, and horror film based on the 2010 mashup novel of the same name. Benjamin Walker stars as the title character. The real-life figure Abraham Lincoln, the 16th President of the United States (1861–1865), is portrayed in the novel and the film as having a secret identity as a vampire hunter. The film was directed and co-produced by Timur Bekmambetov, along with Tim Burton. The novel's author, Seth Grahame-Smith, wrote the adapted screenplay.
- (journal entry) For what ever else I am, a husband, a lawyer... a president... I shall always think of myself as a man who struggle against the darkness.
- (journal entry) I leave in your trusted hands, my dear friend Henry... this record that begins when I was just a boy.
- (journal entry) Mama once told me that I hadn't cried when I was born. That I'd simply opened my eyes... looked at her smiling face and smiled back.
- I hate that we were afraid.
- I was a rail splitter.
- I had killed a monster. And I would kill again. But no amount of death could make me forget.
- Henry sent me off into the world with a reminder. No distractions, no attachments. No friends or family.
- (journal entry) History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle, but forgets the blood. However history remembers me before I was a President, it shall only remember a fraction of the truth.
Mary Todd Lincoln
- Mr. Lincoln, you are full of surprises.
- Well, I see I'm such interesting company.
- I wouldn't back down from what's right because it was hard.
- Abe, I know when you're lying.
- You have to win this war. If you don't, than all of it.. then our son's death will have been for nothing.
- My father used to say: plant your feet and stand firm. The only question is where to put your feet.
- Lincoln! We'll be late for the theater!
- (to a drunk Lincoln) Haven't you had enough?... A boy only gets this drunk when he wants to kiss a girl... or kill a man.
- Power, Lincoln... real power... comes not from hate, but from truth.
- I give you the targets. That was our deal.
- My services are not for sale.
- If vengence is all you seek... seek it elsewhere.
- (about the weapons) So, Abe... which one takes your fancy?
- (present day) A man only drinks like that when he's planning to kiss a girl or kill a man. Which is it?
- I need a writ, Abe, saying I was born free.
- You're far too kind, Miss Todd. (re: Abe) And he's far too ugly to have a woman like you.
- (to his ex-associate) I ever see you here again, I'll have your balls for a coin purse!
- A friend in need is a friend of Speed.
- To hell with work. We got invited to a ball.
- (about the party at the plantation) Somethin'-somethin's not right about this, Abe.
- (as the vampires jump on the train) Well, that's according to plan.
- (to Henry after bitting his wife) Her soul was pure.
- This war ends tonight... And with it... our millenia of darkenss.
- It's time we had a nation of our own.
- (sinisterly) There are other ways to collect a debt.
- (about Lincoln's missed shot) That was unlucky. Might have put me out of my misery.
- There are two kinds of man, Mr. Lincoln. Those that have the guts to pull the trigger... and those who do not.
- Powder, patch, ball. Don't mess it up.
- (to Lincoln) I hope you're better with an axe than you were with a gun.
- Thomas Lincoln: (to his son about the slave traders) Look away, Abraham. It's not our place. Look away.
- Harriet Tubman: People getting killed and slave disappearin'. Some people talk about monsters and demons.
- Senator Nolan: (to Lincoln, about politics) I can connect you with the right people.
- Henry's Wife: Just because the carriage stops... doesn't mean we have to.
- Abraham: Vampires are just myths.
- Sturges: Myths don't beat you senseless after you've put a bullet in their brain.
- Abraham: My mother was murdered.
- Sturges: And if I teach you how to murder her murderer... so what? How will that honor her memory? How will that benefit the next boy whose mother is taken?
- Mary: It's called a dance. If we were meant to sit down, they would've called it something else.
- Abraham: Yes, I suppose they would have.
- Mary: Come, Mr. Lincoln. You'll ruin the upholstery if you sit there any longer.
- Abraham: Do you really want to know the truth, Mary?... Each and every night, I go out... hunting vampires.
- Mary: Well, how do you hunt these vampires?
- Abraham: With an axe... a special silver axe, of course.
- Abraham: I have done everything you've asked me. Every letter, every name... but never the letter I wait for and never the name I want most... when do I get to kill Jack Barts?
- Sturges: (presenting Lincoln with a silver pocket watch) Barts knows about Mary. It's time.
- Sturges: You weren't ready to know.
- Abraham: What, that you were a vampire?!?
- Sturges: You're not the only one... who has lost everything to vampires.
- Mary: Abe, what are you hiding from me?
- Abraham: (as he digs in his pockets) Alright. I didn't want to tell you this way. This is not the way that I planned it. But if you really muct know... (holds up a ring) Mary Todd... will you make me the happiest of man?
- Abraham: (as they ride up to the deserted plantation) There are no slaves... Where are they?
- Speed: I was just wondering that.
- Adam: (reading the paper about the headless bodies) This hunter is another of Henry's disciples?
- Vadoma: They say he is a madman.
- Adam: I can't wait to meet him.
- Sturges (angrily) You cannot take on slavery, Abraham! You cannot take on the whole south!
- Lincoln: Why?! Because of Adam?
- Sturges: No!
- Abraham: Are you afraid of him?
- Sturges: Because it is the only thing that has kept them sated all these years... and you take that away and no one is safe!
- Adam: Go up river. Invite this Mr. Lincoln to join us at the plantation. We're gonna throw a ball in his honor.
- Vadoma:What makes you think he'll accept?
- Adam: I think we can find a way to tempt him.
- Abraham: (after they escape from the train) Thank you, Henry. I suppose some vampires can be trusted.
- Sturges: (panting) As can some men, Abraham... If the train was a decoy... where is the silver?
- Will: This isn't the only railroad.
- Vadoma: (seeing people on the road) What's this?
- Adam: They're fleeing the nest. Leaving Washington free for us.
- Abraham: (sadly) I'm sorry, Mary. I'm sorry I've kept you in the dark all these years... I need you, Mary.
- Mary: I've waited a long time to hear you say those words.
- Abraham: Will! Speed! This! This is what we need! (holding the fork)
- Will: A fork...
- Abraham: Silver.
- Benjamin Walker - Abraham Lincoln
- Dominic Cooper - Henry Sturges
- Mary Elizabeth Winstead - Mary Todd Lincoln
- Anthony Mackie - William Johnson
- Jimmi Simpson - Joshua Speed
- Rufus Sewell - Adam
- Marton Csokas - Jack Barts
- Erin Wasson - Vadoma