An Accident is a specific, unpredictable, unusual and unintended external action which occurs in a particular time and place, with no apparent and deliberate cause but with marked effects. It implies a generally negative outcome which may have been avoided or prevented had circumstances leading up to the accident been recognized, and acted upon, prior to its occurrence. However, an unexpected boon may also be referred to as a "happy accident".
- Chapter of accidents.
- Edmund Burke, Notes for Speeches (Edition 1852), Volume II, p. 426.
- Accidents will occur in the best regulated families.
- To what happy accident is it that we owe so unexpected a visit?
- Oliver Goldsmith, The Vicar of Wakefield (1768), Chapter XIX.
- Nichts unter der Sonne ist Zufall—am wenigsten das wovon die Absicht so klar in die Augen leuchtet.
- Nothing under the sun is accidental, least of all that of which the intention is so clearly evident.
- Gotthold Ephraim Lessing, Emilia Galotti (1772), IV, 3.
- I have shot mine arrow o'er the house
And hurt my brother.
- Moving accidents by flood and field.
Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations 
- Quotes reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 3-4.
- Our wanton accidents take root, and grow
To vaunt themselves God's laws.
- Charles Kingsley, Saint's Tragedy, Act II, scene 4.
- At first laying down, as a fact fundamental,
That nothing with God can be accidental.
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Christus, The Golden Legend (1872), Part VI.
- By many a happy accident.
- Thomas Middleton, No Wit, no Help, like a Woman's, Act IV, scene 1.
- Was der Ameise Vernunft mühsam zu Haufen schleppt, jagt in einem Hui der Wind des Zufalls zusammen.
- What the reason of the ant laboriously drags into a heap, the wind of accident will collect in one breath.
- Friedrich Schiller, Fiesco, Act II, scene 4.
- A happy accident.
- Anne Louise Germaine de Staël, L'Allemagne, Chapter XVI.
- The accident of an accident.
- Edward Thurlow, 1st Baron Thurlow, speech in reply to Lord Grafton.
- The chapter of accidents is the longest chapter in the book.