Angels in the Outfield (1994 film)
Angels in the Outfield (known simply as Angels in some countries) is a 1994 Disney film remake of the 1951 film of the same name. The film stars Danny Glover, Tony Danza and Christopher Lloyd. The film also featured appearances from future stars, including Adrien Brody, Matthew McConaughey, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Neal McDonough.
- There's a thing called "talent". They don't have it.
- I believe in the possiblity of miraculous things happening, that makes every day of our lives worth getting up for.
- It's like you're saying it's okay to believe in God, but it's not okay to believe in angels. I thought they were on the same team.
- We're always watching.
[Roger and J.P. are watching the game from a tree near the stadium and listening to the radio broadcast; on the field, George Knox starts walking out to the mound]
- Ranch Wilder: [on the radio] With another example of his infamous temper, manager George Knox calls time out. He is going to have a word with his pitcher, Frank Gates.
- Roger: I don't think it's gonna be a happy word.
- Ranch: And it looks like Knox is going to take Gates out. Gates doesn't look to pleased about this.
- [on the field]
- George Knox: Gimme the ball.
- Gates: It ain't my fault, you need a new outfield.
- George Knox: [louder] You're outta here, GIMME THE BALL!!!
- Gates: You want the ball? Here you go. [starts to hand it over] GO GET IT! [throws it aside] You want my glove? GO GET IT. [throws it as well].
- Ranch Wilder: [on the radio] Gates has thrown his ball and glove into the stands!
- George Knox: [lunges at Gates] Get out of here, you're finished Gates. [they begin fighting]
- Ranch Wilder: [on the radio] And now Knox has attacked his own pitcher!
- Players: Uh-oh.
- Ranch: This is outrageous! George Knox is fighting off his own players.
- [in the tree]
- Roger: [sighs] Surprise, surprise...
- Mapel: [singing] We do it all summer / And it's a big bummer. / No matter who we play, / We give the game away / 'Cause we can't win. / That would be a sin. / We even lose the games / Before they begin...
- George Knox: SAVE IT, MAPEL!!
- [the team stares at him as he walks over to the snack table and throws it over]
- Triscuitt Messmer: Bummer.
- George Knox: One more loss! One more loss which could've been a win! You call yourselves "professionals"! I have never ever seen a worse group of 25 players! You don't think as a team, you don't play as a team, you don't even lose as a team! You all got your heads so far up your butts, you can't even see the light of day! One more loss and I'll [picks up chair]... and I'll do this [throws it at a baseball bat rack]...to each and every one of you!!
- Whitt Bass: [bat misses him as he pulls his face back] Oh-ho-hoo! [bat hits him in head and has a blank look]
- George Knox: I want you... here in uniform at 9 tomorrow! We're going back to work on fundamentals!!
- Norton: Fundamentals!? In the middle of the season!?
- Whitt Bass: [still with blank look] I thought the game started at 1?
- George Knox: It does start at 1, and you're a jackass!
- Whitt Bass: No, I'm a pitcher.
- José Martinez: You can be a pitcher and a jackass.
- Pablo Garcia: Sí, it's very common.
- Whitt Bass: Oh! [falls unconscious]
- George Knox: Let's keep the profanity down!
- Players: Huh?
- George Knox: I mean it! No swear!
- Garcia: That eliminates all speech for most of the team.
- Miguel: I don't wanna go to the game anyway. The Angels never win.
- J.P.: I'm gonna go to the game. They could win. It could happen.
- Miguel: Yeah! And you could drop dead after dinner... of food poisoning!
- Roger: Leave him alone!!
- Maggie: Boys!! Hey, look what we've got for dessert. Jell-O.
- J.P.: Yay!!
- Miguel: It's not really Jell-O. It's cat-brains with food coloring in it. She kills them at night and feeds it to us to save money.
- Roger: Shut up, Miguel!!
- Maggie: Roger. You know we do not use those words in this house.
- Miguel: [imitating a cat] Meow!
- Maggie: You know I wouldn't put any food coloring on my cat-brains.
[Knox has just found out Roger's Dad has given up custody of him, and explains that he too had a father who was absent during his childhood)
- George Knox: You know Roger, when I was growing up I never saw very much of my Dad. He couldn't take care of himself. So taking care of me and my brothers was out of the question. I'm not sure the pain that caused ever goes away. But I am sure you can't go through life thinking everyone you meet will one day let you down. Because if you do, a very bad thing will happen. You'll end up like me. I'm going inside.
- J.P.: I thought you said you had to be somewhere.
- George Knox: I do. Right here.
[at a press conference, where George Knox's employment appears to be hanging in the balance]
- Mel Clark: [standing] I'd also like to say something. I don't know if there are angels out there, other than the twenty-five of us in uniform. But I know, there is one thing I won't do. I won't play for anyone but George Knox. I believe in him.
- Triscuitt Messmer: [stands] That goes for me too.
[all the other Angels players stand in support, along with the reporters (besides Ranch Wilder)]
- George Knox: [visibly moved and astonished] Thank you...all of you.
- Hank Murphy: Rant what you want. George Knox is the manager of the ballclub. [all present cheer] And if there are any angels out there, I sure hope they're on our side.
- Roger : I'm glad you're here! I was afraid no one was going to show up today, since everybody knows about the angels.
- Al : No one's coming. Championships have to be won on their own. It's a rule.
- Roger : Oh. Then why are you here?
- Al: [gestures to Clark] I came to check up on Mel. He's coming up soon. Going to be one of us.
- Roger: You mean he's...
- Al: Ah, he's smoked for years. Always a mistake. He's got 6 months left, doesn't even know anything's wrong yet.
- Roger: No!
- Al: Don't you worry. He's well taken care of. You concentrate on your own life now. We are expecting great things from you kid. We'll all be watching, you remember that.
[slowly dissolves away]
- Al: Even though you can't see us, we're always watching.
- Mel Clark: I've got nothing left.
- George Knox: Yeah, you do. You've got one strike left.
[turns to dugout, Roger walks out flapping his arms like angel's wings]
- George Knox: You've got an angel with you right now... just got here, and he's going to help.
- Mel Clark: The kid sees an angel?
- George Knox: Yeah, he must. That's the signal.
[gradually all players and crowd, even those in the office and the broadcast booth (minus Ranch Wilder) stand and flap their arms]
- George Knox: [moved by seeing the crowd] It could happen.
- Mel Clark: Okay.
- George Knox: [laughs] Go get 'em for the championship!