Annie is a musical based upon the popular Harold Gray comic strip Little Orphan Annie. It has music by Charles Strouse, lyrics by Martin Charnin, and a book by Thomas Meehan. It was first staged in 1976, and was filmed in 1982 (by director John Huston) and filmed for TV in 1999 (by director Rob Marshall). All quotations listed here appear in all three works, unless otherwise noted.
- Do you want Miss Hannigan to come in here?! Go back to bed!
- Leaping Lizards! Just look at this joint!
- The Bolsheviks? Leaping lizards!
- The sun'll come out Tomorrow, so you gotta hang on till tomorrow, come what may! Tomorrow, Tomorrow, I love ya, Tomorrow! You're only a day away.
- From the song "Tomorrow".
Oliver "Daddy" Warbucks
- They say [the Autocopter] can land on a dime... whatever that may be.
- Why do I smell wet dog?
- Absolutely not! I'm a businessman. I love money, I love power, I love capitalism. I do not now and never will love children.
- [On why he doesn't want to adopt Annie.]
- Why any kid would wanna be an orphan is beyond me.
- I am not zoned for dogs.
- Oliver Warbucks the Millionaire?
- (Grace Farell: No, Oliver Warbucks the Billionaire.)
- I make a very dry martini.
- You had me followed?
- [The above two lines are from the song "Sign".]
- My God is that thing real?
- Who cares what they're wearing on Main street, or Saville Row? It's what you wear from ear to ear and not from head to toe that matters... You're never fully dressed without a smile!
- From the song "You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile".
- We love you, Miss Hannigan.
- [Miss Hannigan urges them to say it on occasion.]
- Rooster: This is Miss Lily St. Regis.
- Lily: Named after the hotel.
- Miss Hannigan (play and 1982 film): Room service!
- Miss Hannigan (1999 film): Which floor?
- Pepper: Molly shouldn't be in this room.
- (she gets out of bed and walks across the other orphans' beds)
- Pepper: She's a baby. She cries all the time. She wets the bed.
- Molly: I do not!
- Duffy: (pushes Pepper) You're the one who shouldn't be in here!
- Warbucks: Grace! Get me J. Edgar on the phone! Drake! Get me the chief of police! Asp! Get me Walter Winchell! PUNJAB!!! Get me William Randolph Hearst! And, Saunders, get me a drink!
- Annie: Do you want Miss Hannigan to come in here?! Go back to bed!
- (the other orphans return to bed, except for Pepper, who stares at Annie)
- Annie: Now! Or you'll have me to deal with.
- Pepper: Aw, blow it out your ol' wazoo.
- (she returns to bed)
- (Annie has just calmed down Molly after her nightmare)
- Annie: Close your eyes. Think about your folks.
- Molly: You're the only one who really has folks. Mine are dead.
- Annie: Think about the folks who want to adopt you, because want a little girl with brown hair and brown eyes.
- (Annie then goes into the rest of the song "Maybe" until Miss Hannigan comes in.)
- Miss Hannigan: Did I hear...singing in here? All right, fine. Since we're all so wide awake...! Get up! Get out of bed!
- (Orphans groan)
- Miss Hannigan: Clean up this mess! Get dressed! And this room had better be regulation before breakfast, my little pig droppings. Or kill, kill, kill!
- Annie: But it's in the middle of the night.
- Miss Hannigan: (mocks) "But it's in the middle of the night." (normally; grabs Annie) And if this floor don't shine like the top of the Chrysler Building, your backsides will. Y'understand?
- Orphans Yes, Miss Hannigan.
- Miss Hannigan: What do we say, Annie?
- Annie: I love you, Miss Hannigan.
- Miss Hannigan: Why any kid would wanna be an orphan is beyond me.
- (After the "Hard Knock Life" number; the orphans have hidden Annie in a laundry basket.)
- Miss Hannigan: What are you all just standing around here for?! You're supposed to clean the bathroom and the kitchen before lunch, my little pig-droppings! And if ya skip the corners, there will be no lunch. And we're not having hot mush today.
- (The orphans cheer until Miss Hannigan blows her whistle)
- Miss Hannigan: We're having cold mush.
- (The orphans groan)
- Miss Hannigan: What?!
- Orphans: We love you, Miss Hannigan.
- Miss Hannigan: Wonderful. (looks around) Where's Annie?
- Molly: She had to go bathroom.
- Miss Hannigan: (mocks) "She had to go bathroom."
- Bundles' voice: Miss Hannigan!
- (Miss Hannigan is surprised to hear his voice)
- Miss Hannigan: Oh! Mr. Bundles.
- Orphans: Mr. Bundles.
- (Annie has revealed Sandy the dog to her fellow orphans)
- Pepper: He smells.
- Molly: What's his name, Annie?
- Annie: Guess.
- Molly: Uh, Fifi?
- (Annie shakes her head)
- Pepper: That ain't a name for this mutt!
- (she and the other orphans laugh)
- (Miss Hannigan has discovered Sandy.)
- Annie: ...I love you, Miss Hannigan?
- Miss Hannigan: And you will love the paddle closet, Annie! And this will love the sausage factory! (Orphans cry out) What?
- Orphans: We love you, Miss Hannigan.
- Miss Hannigan: (sarcastically) Shut up.
- (Grace Farrell has come to present Oliver Warbucks' proposal for an orphan)
- Grace: Miss Hannigan, I am the private secretary to Oliver Warbucks.
- Miss Hannigan: The Oliver Warbucks? Oliver Warbucks the millionaire?
- Grace: No, Oliver Warbucks, the billionaire.
- Grace: Uh, Mr. Warbucks, I'd like you to meet...
- Warbucks: No time for dinner tonight, so tell Mrs. Pugh to send up an American-cheese sandwich at midnight. Come along, Miss Farrell. Let's get started.
- (a press representative snaps a picture of him)
- Warbucks: (screams) AAAAGH!!!
- (he grabs the man's camera and smashes it to the ground)
- Warbucks: WHAT THE DEVIL'S GOIN' ON HERE?!!
- Grace: Oh, Mr. Warbucks, this is the press representative! Your image!
- Warbucks: Oh! Oh, yes! (laughs) Pick him up, Punjab. Uh, get him another camera.
- (he and Grace laugh)