August · September · October ·November · December
August is the eighth month of the year in the Julian and Gregorian Calendars. It is a summer month in the Northern Hemisphere, and a winter month in the Southern Hemisphere, where it is the seasonal equivalent of February in the Northern Hemisphere.
Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations
- Quotes reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 46.
- The August cloud * * * suddenly
Melts into streams of rain.
- William Cullen Bryant, Sella.
- In the parching August wind,
Cornfields bow the head,
Sheltered in round valley depths,
On low hills outspread.
- Christina G. Rossetti, A Year's Windfalls, Stanza 8.
- Dead is the air, and still! the leaves of the locust and walnut
Lazily hang from the boughs, inlaying their intricate outlines
Rather on space than the sky
-on a tideless expansion of slumber.
- Bayard Taylor, Home Pastorals, August.