Battleship is a 2012 American Alien invasion science fiction action film loosely inspired by the classic board game. The film was directed by Peter Berg and released by Universal Pictures. The film stars Taylor Kitsch, Liam Neeson, Alexander Skarsgård, Rihanna, Brooklyn Decker, and Tadanobu Asano.
- We take great pride in honoring the many men and women who demonstrated exceptional gallantry in the face of overwhelming enemy force. Valor and courage were exhibited by so many... that I cannot honor them all. It is my great privilege to recognize those few whose actions deserve special note. Lieutenant Colonel, United States Army, Retired- Mick Canales.... The President of the United States takes great pleasure in presenting the Navy Cross to Commander Stone Hopper, for extraordinary heroism. Receiving the award on behalf of his brother- Lieutenant Commander Alex Hopper. [After receiving his brother's Navy Cross, Alex Hopper turns to leave] Stand fast, Mr. Hopper. It is my great pleasure to present you with the Silver Star, for your exceptional heroism and gallantry in combat operations. And I look forward to seeing you at sea on a ship of your own command. Soon.
Commander Stone Hopper
- [The morning after Alex has broken into a convenience store to get a chicken burrito and been arrested by the police, Alex wakes up in an ice bath while his brother is yelling at him.] I've had it! Look at yourself! How is it that you've messed everything up?! Oh, by the way, that girl you were trying to impress last night? Do you know who her father is? Admiral Shane! He runs the whole damn fleet! So now, you're messing with MY JOB! MY LIFE! Now I've always stayed out of your business, haven't I? 'Cause I was hoping that maybe one day, you would learn from your mistakes- you would grow up, you would mature a bit! You're 26, and what've you got? You've got, $65 to your name? A car that doesn't start, you're living on my couch... [Alex has managed to get out of the ice bath Stone threw him in while he was passed out; he is now sitting on the couch.] As of right now, as of right this second there's a new dynamic at play. And this dynamic is the following: from here on, until I state otherwise, there will be no more debate, no more discussion, no more compromise! It's me speaking, you listening! Me saying, you doing. Do you understand that? [Pauses] It's time for a new course of action. A new direction; a game change. You're joining me in the Navy.
Petty Officer Raikes =
- [aiming a cannon at an alien's head] Mahalo mother... [fires, killing the alien]
Mick Cannalas =
- Let's see if we can't buy the world one more day.
- [ADM Shane is berating CPT Nagata and LT Hopper after their fight; a group of Japanese and American officers are present.]
- ADM Shane: You both think this a joke and you are much mistaken. This will not happen again; do I make myself clear?
- LT Alex Hopper: Yes, sir.
- CPT Yugi Nagata: Yes, sir.
- ADM Shane: [To the officers around him] Gentlemen, give me a moment alone with Mr. Hopper.
- [CPT Nagata and the assembled American and Japanese officers leave the room, ADM Shane stands up and faces Hopper, visibly furious.]
- ADM Shane: What is wrong with you? You've got skills. But I have never- EVER! Seen a man waste them like you. "Keep the ship out of the surf and spray-"
- LT Alex Hopper: "-or you will plunge to destruction." Homer, sir.
- ADM Shane: [Stares at Hopper] The fact that you know that infuriates me beyond words. What my daughter sees in you is a great mystery to me. You're a very smart individual with very weak leadership, character, and decision-making skills. [Pauses] Do you have anything to say to me? Anything?
- LT Alex Hopper: Negative, sir.
- ADM Shane: Enjoy these naval exercises, Hopper. They're likely to be your last. Dismissed.
- [Hopper looks around at his disheartened crew]
- Hopper: It doesn't end like this.
- Captain Nagata: What do you want us to do Hopper? We have no ships left.
- Hopper: We have one. [looks at the USS Missouri as the boats enter Pearl Harbor] We have a battleship.
- Captain Nagata: Are you crazy?! That's a museum.
- Hopper: Not today.
- [Aboard the USS Missouri]
- CPO Walter Lynch: This ship is fifty years old; her systems are totally outdated. The firing control systems are all analog, and the engines are steam- which would be fine, but I have no idea how to fire up. And even if I had the owner's manual and six weeks to go through it all, we still don't have enough crew. [Turns to LT Hopper] I don't know what you're thinking, sir.
- [The camera pans back to show more than ten 'old salts', former crewmen of the USS Missouri from World War II, standing watch over the ship. A group of them approach the survivors from the USS John Paul Jones.]
- Old Salt: [Shaking hands with LT Hopper] Is everyone all right?
- LT Alex Hopper: Yes, sir, we're fine. [Pauses] You men have already given so much to your country. And no one has a right to ask any more. But I'm asking.
- Old Salt: What do you need, son?
- LT Alex Hopper: I need to borrow your boat.
- Old Salt: Let's drop some lead on these mother...
- Hopper: Fire!
- [The Missouri is rocked by enemy fire]
- CPO Walter Lynch: [to a nearby old salt] You alright?
- Old Salt: They ain't sinking this battleship, no way!
- [Hopper's unorthodox tactic works]
- Nagata: I can't believe that worked!
- Hopper: Yeah, Art of War: fight the enemy where they aren't. After all these years, it finally just clicked!
- Nagata: But that's not what it means.
- Hopper: [stunned] It's not?
- Nagata: Not even close.
- [It looks like the end for the Missouri and her crew. Hopper turns to Captain Nagata, his former enemy]
- Hopper: It was an honor serving with you Captian.
- Captain Nagata: The honor was mine.
- [After the awards ceremony]
- LCDR Alex Hopper: Sir.
- ADM Shane: What is it?
- LCDR Alex Hopper: I want you to know... that I am in love with Sam. And I am asking your permission to marry your daughter.
- [Admiral Shane thinks for a moment.]
- 'ADM Shane: No.
- LCDR Alex Hopper: Thank you sir, I mean it's... what?
- ADM Shane: No.
- LCDR Alex Hopper: Sir... I saved the world!
- ADM Shane: Saving the world is one thing, Hopper. My daughter is quite another.
- LCDR Alex Hopper: Ye- but-
- ADM Shane: No means no, Hopper. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm late for lunch. I think I'll have a chicken burrito. [Gives Hopper a look and walks away]
- LCDR Alex Hopper: Sir! I...
- [Admiral Shane stops and turns back, smiling a little.]
- ADM Shane: Come along, Hopper. We'll discuss the terms of your surrender over a meal.
- LCDR Alex Hopper: [Smiling in relief] Yes, sir. [As the two walk off] She told you about that, huh?