Bergen Evans (1904 – 1978), U.S. lexicographer and educator. Evans was an English professor who became the master of ceremonies for the $64,000 Question and wrote Word A Day Vocabulary Builder (1963). He also wrote Dictionary of Quotations, a quote book annotated with witty and illustrative comments on the quotes by Evans, himself.
- [Thanatopsis] was written in 1817, when Bryant was 23. Had he died then, the world would have thought it had lost a great poet. But he lived on.
- Dictionary of Quotations
- Freedom of speech and freedom of action are meaningless without freedom to think. And there is no freedom of thought without doubt.
- The Natural History of Nonsense XIX
- We may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us.
- The Natural History of Nonsense